Based on Sherdoggers Expertise and Opinion Jon Jones HW run will result in...?

What trajectory will Jon’s HW run take...?

• Total voters

Benoitthegr8

Filthy Pensioner
Platinum Member
Reaction score
As stated in the title, I’m polling the subject matter experts here at Sherdog on how Mr. Jonathan Jones run at Heavyweight will play our... be honest, objective, and unemotional in your responses, feel free to discuss the reasoning behind your hypothesis.

My opinion is he will have moderate success, as with the larger men at LHW who have decent striking and TDD he will struggle to beat them convincingly. Especially the guys who he doesn’t have a significant height or reach advantage over, his speed will help, but the sheer lack of physicality he enjoyed at LHW over undersized opponents won’t be a factor in the equation. When he faces the heavy hitters and they eventually connect, he will react similar to his fight versus Rampage by trying to evade and use movement to his advantage, but he won’t be able to sustain any type of successful offense with this tactic. His Iron chin will get cracked and for the first time in his career he will be put down for a short canvas nap. I predict he will take a few fights and retire after things don’t go as planned, his LHW run will still be recognized as the most terrifying, yet controversial reign in that divisions history. But recency bias will not do any favors for how he’s remembered as a Mixed Martial Artist.

Edit, wouldn’t allow me to edit the poll, I wanted to add

Jon won’t ever actually fight at HW

Also las a few posters pointed out, he drops back to LHW to face Ignance Oddesanya

Last edited:
Champ and still GOAT but it's a good chance he fucks his legacy fighting longer than he should, he is only worth 10m and doesn't live a cheap life

You posted the same thread (with poll) 3 times but the mods merged and/or deleted the others

Don't piss TS off, he tranes UFC:

232905.jpg

I think Jones wins and defends at least once or twice before retiring. He is young for a HW but he has been fighting so long I don't think he lasts more than a couple of years. I'd say 3 - 4 fights IF he doesn't get KTFO. Could win 1 or 2 and then get KTFO and retire.

Well all know if his HW fight comes to a decision, even if it should be a 50-42, he will still get the split decision.

Prob pop after.

Teh iz normal.

I think he looks old and slow when he finally debuts at HW. He might be able to beat Stipe, who would also be extremely old and past his prime at that point. If he gets Francis, I think he either gets caught and KO’d or he dances and evades and gets a very unimpressive decision win.

I think the first loss he suffers he probably retires or at least goes back to 205. I believe Jones has one foot out of the door already on his MMA career. Guys his age don’t decide to take an 18 month break unless they are trying to collect a final payday or two.

As stated in the title, I’m polling the subject matter experts here at Sherdog on how Mr. Jonathan Jones run at Heavyweight will play our... be honest, objective, and unemotional in your responses, feel free to discuss the reasoning behind your hypothesis.

My opinion is he will have moderate success, as with the larger men at LHW who have decent striking and TDD he will struggle to beat them convincingly. Especially the guys who he doesn’t have a significant height or reach advantage over, his speed will help, but the sheer lack of physicality he enjoyed at LHW over undersized opponents won’t be a factor in the equation. When he faces the heavy hitters and they eventually connect, he will react similar to his fight versus Rampage by trying to evade and use movement to his advantage, but he won’t be able to sustain any type of successful offense with this tactic. His Iron chin will get cracked and for the first time in his career he will be put down for a short canvas nap. I predict he will take a few fights and retire after things don’t go as planned, his LHW run will still be recognized as the most terrifying, yet controversial reign in that divisions history. But recency bias will not do any favors for how he’s remembered as a Mixed Martial Artist.

Edit, wouldn’t allow me to edit the poll, I wanted to add that he won’t ever actually fight at HW

Chael made a comment of the lighter fighters' speed in any division has a history of being the champ. He mentioned examples of Mike Tyson and Fedor. I agree with Chael when it comes to striking or boxing. I, Likewise, at least when it comes to striking, I think Jones will do well by picking heavy aggressive fighters off. However, I do question someone like Francis fighting Jones. My other qustion, is what happens in the wrestling department..How will jones Manage? Well...Jones is a smart fighter and if the risks were too huge he probably would have stayed at LHW. Also, Greg Jackson and his camp would know better. I just think this will be a good move for Jones. If he beats Stipe, who is getting old, I see Jones making title defenses. We will see.

Last edited:
No option for Jones loses at HW and goes back down LHW to fight Izzy?

Or some variations of this

Went with wins title and multiple defenses and then retires...as this probably why he went up to HW in the first place to retire there

The poll options are weird, I think 2 of them are literally the same thing

I think JJ probably beats Stipe or Ngannou but win or lose he probably takes multiple fights at HW
With all the bulking he did I don't see him going back to LHW at all. Maybe for a superfight with Izzy but I doubt it

Jones is doing the right way of bulking and growing into the new division instead of jumping in like Max did at LW. His skills are off the chart if we compare to Stipe/Ngannou. Jones is in the twilight of his career but so is Stipe.

This is a really tough call because Jones has a decent chin and is a decent size for hw. I would put him a favorite over Stipe and an underdog against Ngannou. So Jones for decision against Stipe and KO loss against Ngannou. Jones is crafty and he can pull off the Stipe gameplan against Ngannou if he survives.

Back