Based on results of Contender Series fighters, should they continue it?

Contender Series is great, and has produced a handful of actual contenders, as well as a whole bunch of fun fighters.

Geoff Neal
Edmen Shahbazyan
Sodiq Yusuff

Plus Sean O'Malley, Maycee Barber, Greg Hardy, Yorgan De Castro, Mike Davis, Alex Perez, Antonina Shevchenko, Kevin Holland, Jamahal Hill, and many others.

Compared to TUF, the quality of the fighters seems substantially worst, and besides maybe 1 or 2 is any really possibly up for title contention?
Never watched an episode. Never will.

it's because it's based in America. Americans have too many avenues to pick besides joining MMA. if they go to Brazil, or Africa, i guarantee they'll find a lot more hungry animals.

They did a few Contender Brazil's and turned out good, I hear ya, they are cheap fuckers.

Based on the results?

Came in expecting at least some basic statistics...
Sorry all I have is observation. I'd be curious of win/loss records in the UFC of them.

I'd like to see one become a champ one day like TUF.

Its not like they spend a lot of money on it...if the show is sustainable as a business they will continue with it, its supposed to be NEW guys, means cheap contracts for the UFC.

What’s the problem?

More fights for fans.
Recruits new talent
Recruits new talent BY FIGHTING (not fucking reality TV)
The UFC always needs new talent.

If they can’t hack it in the UFC they get cut.

they will 100% do it again. i bet they make money from it... which is more important than creating a top 15 or whatever. if they never get a champ its still okay.

absolutely they should continue it, it's a great way to build fighters all the way from the bottom to the top.

Johnny Walker
Geoff Neal
Edmen Shahbazyan
Ian Heinisch
Sodiq Yusuff
Marina Rodriguez
Maycee Barber
Antonina Shevchenko
Augusto Sakai
Casey Kenney
Alex Perez
Jordan Espinosa
Raulian Paiva

All top 15ers right now, all competed on the Contender Series. I don't think that's all of them, either.
Jamalah Hill has another great performance this past weekend and came from the show. He isn’t top 15 yet, but one more good win and he could be.

Plus as someone else said I enjoy having some mid week fights

Johnny Walker
Geoff Neal
Edmen Shahbazyan
Ian Heinisch
Sodiq Yusuff
Marina Rodriguez
Maycee Barber
Antonina Shevchenko
Augusto Sakai
Casey Kenney
Alex Perez
Jordan Espinosa
Raulian Paiva

All top 15ers right now, all competed on the Contender Series. I don't think that's all of them, either.
Major facepalm on this one. I guess i don't watch the show.

I don't really care for it, they have plenty of fighters competing on prelims who are contender series material and others competing in the contender series that are already worthy of being in the UFC. They already have TUF, why not just space out the seasons, sign bigger prospects/names and try and stack up the seasons of TUF. They're factuated with giving us waterdown products all the time.
I suspect Dana just wants to cut costs by not having to give them the Reebok coupons and a few free passes to the UFC training centre.

Have never seen it. Don't know the rules or formats.
What name of interest has come from it?

you've never watched the contender series fights? wtf?

It's probably the best stuff the UFC puts out, its all fights with like 3 mins of fluff about the fighters before the fights.

It's the last 20 mins of a TUF episode x 5

I don’t watch it, only seen a few of them but I like the idea of it more than TUF. It’s not manufactured or filled with fake drama. It’s MMA boiled down to its most simple form: two guys going in and fighting.

Compared to TUF, the quality of the fighters seems substantially worst, and besides maybe 1 or 2 is any really possibly up for title contention?

Contender series started like a year and a half ago. You thought 5-0 prospects would be title contenders after 3 fights?

Think you are judging too quickly. Give it a few more years one veterans of the show will have a title before 2025.

Contender series started like a year and a half ago. You thought 5-0 prospects would be title contenders after 3 fights?
Reyes only has 6 fights in the UFC (12 total) and now he's fighting for the LHW title. Also I'm referencing the amount of Contender Series fights that get contracts but have a losing record in the UFC

I like it.

Nothing else on Tuesday nights

I don’t watch it, only seen a few of them but I like the idea of it more than TUF. It’s not manufactured or filled with fake drama. It’s MMA boiled down to its most simple form: two guys going in and fighting.
You don't enjoy a guy crying as he says "Let me bang bro!" ? :D

Back