News Based Justin Gaethje willing to be backup for Khabib vs Ferguson fight under 1 condition.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Yoel Stoolmero, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Yoel Stoolmero

Yoel Stoolmero Yellow Belt

Now that Khabib vs Tony title fight is official, fight fans have four months to sit on their edge of their respective seats, praying that nothing goes wrong prior to fight night.

Injuries and Tiramisu have forced the cancellation of the previous four bookings, so you can’t blame the mixed martial arts (MMA) community for being a little cautious when it comes to getting overly-excited for this fight. Heck, even UFC president Dana White was a bit nervous when considering booking the fight once again.

But if the promotion doesn’t want to be left high and dry a fifth time, it would behoove the UFC powers that be to have a backup in place.

That’s where Justin Gaethje comes in.

“Highlight” recently told Luke Thomas that while it isn’t his preference to serve as backup, he is willing to do so as long as the promotion covers all his training costs to prepare for the title fight.

It’s not a bad proposal, and UFC has been known to pay fighters to serve as backups in the past just in case something goes wrong. And givem the track record of Khabib and Ferguson, if there was ever a time to have another man on standby, this is it.

farai, Kudo, TheLinguist and 33 others like this.
  2. Hespectfully

Hespectfully Black Belt Platinum Member

He should just train for free. That’s what a company man would do.

farai, Gabe, Cid and 29 others like this.
  3. loisestrad

loisestrad Gold Belt Platinum Member

So, is the UFC supposed to announce Gaethje as a backup? That would probably do more harm than good, as it's a way of saying "we're not sure Tony-Khabib is happening.

omawho402, A.S. Deep and Jojomojo like this.
  4. Death By Samson

Death By Samson Silver Belt

Gaethje should be fighting on the card. He can be in camp preparing for an actual fight and preparing to make championship weight and to go 5 rounds. If something goes wrong with either Khabib or Ferg then he is ready. If nothing goes wrong then he still has a fight.

farai, Gabe, Judoka_DR and 43 others like this.
  5. Fukkup

Fukkup Freelance Underwear Model

Fight for free too. I mean he should be happy that the ufc is paying to give him exposure.

farai, Gabe, Cid and 26 others like this.
  6. Masturbin

Masturbin White Belt

I guess his kids can eat exposure next month

Istryker, farai, Gabe and 47 others like this.
  7. Mortal Wombat

Mortal Wombat Yellow Card Yellow Card

Imho he should have to sell whatever assets he has and pay the Ufc for letting him be a back up.

farai, jakeharris74, Gabe and 23 others like this.
  8. frederick

frederick Red Belt

It's no secret that the fight has been cursed since the beginning.

Ghostoftheville likes this.
  9. Fraz

Fraz Hybrid Moments

Exactly, how dare this ingrate try to set demands he should also fight for free for this fight if the UFC are generous enough to give him this opportunity.

Fukkup, VVarhead, Sakurabaism and 2 others like this.
  10. bootsy

bootsy and elsewhere

Put him in the card.

GhostNote and paynebringer like this.
  11. Fukkup

Fukkup Freelance Underwear Model

Man shouldn't be having kids if he's expecting a multi billion dollar company to pay him for generating revenue through his employment. I mean if he wants to make money he could just start his own UFC. Typical layabout lookin for handouts.

12. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun Al Far'oun

Democratic People's Islamic Republic of Kekistan
    I mean, at this point no one is sure its going to happen. And it'd hype me up real good to know that if we lose Khabib-Tony that at least we'll get to see Gaethje against either.
    Not a bad idea either but who should Gaethje fight? A lot of the top LWs are booked and I don't think Gaethje should have to risk fighting a lower ranked guy. Normally I don't like that logic but Gaethje has KOed three ranked guys in the first round in a row, if anyone deserves to sit on his laurels in the division while Khabib and Tony sort things out its Gaethje. But that said who wouldn't want to see him fight?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  13. Dave Poodle

Dave Poodle Purple Belt

Very reasonable proposal and it seems like the logical thing to do. This will be a very important card so having the best possible replacement trained and ready just in case.
    They've had replacements ready for far less high profile fights - Usman was there for Woodley v Till, Volkanovski was there for Max v Frankie.

Kertol likes this.
  14. MMAart

MMAart Black Belt

Khabib vs. Ferguson
    Gaethje vs. Kevin Lee

MMAcolyte, BooBoyMan, Molo and 5 others like this.
  15. Whoa Nelly

Whoa Nelly Green Belt

This 100%. That's smart business. Card is better. We see the next in line for the Khabib/Ferg winner on the same card. If anything goes wrong with main fight, solution in place. Perfect Death By Samson.

16. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun Al Far'oun

Lee makes the most sense but I don't want to see it only because I think Lee is a tad overhyped but at the same time a dangerous fight for Gaethje. I'd be pissed if Lee ended up killing Gaethje's momentum. But still good suggestion, would really strengthen the card to have that fight on it. Honestly every title fight should have a contenders fight of the same division under it on the card so that if someone in the main event gets injured either of the contenders can replace them and if that doesn't happen at least you have a showcase fight for the division to help hype the next title fight.

17. Rvd Slmr

Rvd Slmr Silver Belt

[​IMG]

18. Deadwing88

Deadwing88 Éamon De Valera.

I don't really see how Lee deserves a top 5 opponent, after beating Gillispie..

Kafir-kun likes this.
  19. Mahkor

Mahkor Drunkmaster Flex

Good, having a backup is stupid anyway, just book Justin vs Dustin 2 on that card or the week after that card so they are in shape and ready for anything.

20. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun Al Far'oun

Same here, Gregor is a great win but Lee is 1-2 in his last three. But he is a ranked guy who as far as I know is still available so not the worst fight for Gaethje to book if he wants to be on the same card as Khabib-Tony.