Baseball Fans: Was Ruling Trea Turner Out the Right Call?

Do you think the umpires made the right call?

• Total voters

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Nationals' Trea Turner out on controversial interference call; manager Dave Martinez ejected in Game 6
Any who watched Game 6 of the World Series tonight saw Dave Martinez, head coach of the Nationals, ejected between the 7th and 8th innings over this controversial call. As Joe Buck mentioned in the game this was the first time a manager has been ejected since Bobby Cox in 1996.

Buck referred to this particular application of interference as the "most controversial rule in baseball", and suggested that perhaps it is the least understood. Here is the larger rule in question:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_(baseball)

He was out, but they need to fix the rule.

It's a shit rule, and umps were put in a bad spot.

Nationals' Trea Turner out on controversial interference call; manager Dave Martinez ejected in Game 6
Any who watched Game 6 of the World Series tonight saw Dave Martinez, head coach of the Nationals, ejected between the 7th and 8th innings over this controversial call. As Joe Buck mentioned in the game this was the first time a manager has been ejected since Bobby Cox in 1996.

Buck referred to this particular application of interference as the "most controversial rule in baseball", and suggested that perhaps it is the least understood. Here is the larger rule in question:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_(baseball)

It was a horrible call.

Thankfully Rendon hit a two run homer so the call didn't matter. If the Nats lost 4-3, this would be talked about forever like the Rams vs Saints pass interference no call.

Thankfully Rendon hit a two run homer so the call didn't matter. If the Nats lost 4-3, this would be talked about forever like the Rams vs Saints pass interference no call.
Maybe would of got the rule changed

I've read the rule, and still need someone to explain how in the fuck that can possibly be considered the right call. Not only did he never leave the base line, the ball was not a batted ball. It was thrown.

From my understanding he was called out for leaving the baseline...which he did not do. What was guy supposed to do? It just looks like a regular throwing error to me. Have no idea why he was called out.

From my understanding he was called out for leaving the baseline...which he did not do. What was guy supposed to do? It just looks like a regular throwing error to me. Have no idea why he was called out.
Well luckily it didn’t matter in the end . It was cool to see a manager ejected from a World Series game though. It rarely happens. Bobby Cox did it twice . But from what I saw he did run inside, which is what baseball players do... the rule is fucking stupid but they made the “right” call according to the rules . But should you call that in a World Series game.. no. Should it be a rule .. no. My understanding is that it’s a rule that is rarely enforced and for it to happen in such an important game was the issue.

Well luckily it didn’t matter in the end . It was cool to see a manager ejected from a World Series game though. It rarely happens. Bobby Cox did it twice . But from what I saw he did run inside, which is what baseball players do... the rule is fucking stupid but they made the “right” call according to the rules . But should you call that in a World Series game.. no. Should it be a rule .. no. My understanding is that it’s a rule that is rarely enforced and for it to happen in such an important game was the issue.

Yeah, it seems like it's some ancient, never enforced rule that didn't come into play until last night. This is why they should always review every single aspect of the game, every year, no matter how unlikely it is that a certain rule may come into play. Make them run outside the line at all times, or just get rid of that dumb shit.

To me, that's just a throwing error.

That was a perfect base run. Give that man a raise.

Yeah, it seems like it's some ancient, never enforced rule that didn't come into play until last night. This is why they should always review every single aspect of the game, every year, no matter how unlikely it is that a certain rule may come into play. Make them run outside the line at all times, or just get rid of that dumb shit.

To me, that's just a throwing error.
Yeah I don’t disagree it’s fucking stupid. What’s funny is they said it isn’t “reviewable” then spent 5 minutes reviewing it .. rule needs to change . It’s just smart baseball to run a little inside on a play like that

The fix is in for the Strohs. Face it.
Already in game 7, a blown call at first by the bought umps.
not watching.

Back