Baseball Choke Defense

Fernt

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys. I was just wondering if you know any effective counter to the baseball choke when your opponent already has the grips and is spinning?

I will be entering a competition next weekend and there's a school where this choke is their go to move and I would hate it if they catch me with it :icon_lol:

or we could not be a knob about it...

address the grips before passing, and if you do start passing when they have the grips in, keep very tight to their hips and do not let them spin. Often times, if they sit through into kesa, it's a lot harder to get.

as far as addressing grips go, make sure you focus mostly on the palm up hand. i find when i'm setting up this choke (which i do a lot of), if i can keep the palm up hand where it should be, it's rather easy to get the palm down hand back in - versus trying to get the palm up hand back in when you're taking away space on that side. (which means if you break the palm up grip, don't switch to kesa, since it gives a little bit more space than a regular side control to fit in that grip).

a lot of people say that the armbar is the best defense, but realistically, if they have good grips, they'll be breaking down your posture so that you can't get the armbar in there properly. i've done this choke before with passing the lapel, using the lapel as a rope grip, and i'm sorry, but if you're in the same weight class as me, my downward row will be stronger than your neck lifts.

tldr: address grips first. if they get grips, do not pass go. if you pass go, switch into kesa, or control the hips.

I've been told the defense is to put a hand through the middle of the 2 hands gripping the collar before the choke is on. i havent tested it out but it might be worth playing around with it. if they let you pass and cant finish the choke then its happy days.

Do you mean baseball choke from bottom or from top?

If you are talking the Magid Hage thing, this is a simple but practical defense

Do you mean baseball choke from bottom or from top?

If you are talking the Magid Hage thing, this is a simple but practical defense

I meant the one from the bottom. This video explains very well what mr violent said on going to keza once you pass the guard, so thanks to both of you :)

I have been staying tight to prevent them from spinning and getting the armbar. Seems too many people get tunnel-vision on this choke and deathgrip themselves into an armbar.

I was recently going over this with one of our purple belts.

First, fight the grips. Don't let them establish the grips they need.

Second, they want you to pass to one side. If you can, pass to the opposite side of what they want. For example, if someone gets the grips on me and is wanting me to pass to the left, I step back and leg drag to the right.

Third, if you can't pass to the opposite direction and must pass to the direction that they want, then keep them from turning away from you. The purple belt that taught me showed me to grab their hip at the pants and their collar to keep them from turning away. If you do that, they usually forget to remove their hand and you can promptly armlock them.

if you on straight to mount its pretty hard for them to finish the choke.

Back