Bas: Straight Ankle Lock Won't Injure You

I guess Bas means you can't get injured from it
unless your and your partner are morons,
saying it's the most safe submission??? If such a thing exists!
Plus Bas kicks a lot so his foot is strong.
why am I fending for him. Bas, you shouldn't have said that, or
said it differently or more clearly!!!!

b0b said:
In one of the recent Pride events, he said you cannot be injured from the straight ankle lock.

Any truth to this? I know it is damn painful, but are there any other moves you could "tough out" and be ok at the end of the day? I would hate to try to tough out a kimura, armbar, heelhook, choke, etc...

I've always wondered why he keeps saying that. I guess I need to inform one friend that his ligaments didnt really tear/sprain when he got caught in a competition and didn't tap soon enough...

Fight_Song said:
Bas is Bas. he can do many things normal people cannot. many bullshit moves work for Bas and if you'd try them you'll never get again thing from it.. then he'll walk up to someone and tap them with it repeatedly.

he's Bas.

for the rest of us mortals, an achillies lock/stright ankle lock can break the ligaments in the front of your foot and ankle or at the least sprain it. if you can force your foot through past his armpit a ways, then the lock is just pain from his forearm blade in your calf muscle and that is what i think he means don't injure you.

You nailed it. There's some shit Bas can do that just won't work for you. The guy can also climb 30 feet up two seperate gym ropes, one in each hand.

HOWEVER... My instructor, folks I've done leg lock seminars with, and many others have said that the move will not cause permanent damage. All of you stating bruises and difficulty walking for a week or two need to realize that that's not "permanent damage". The catch is that all these people that say this turn out to have a way of making the move slice through your tendon or pop your calf.

So, yes, a basic a straight ankle, if you stay cool and position your foot right can be roughed out in the way a calf or bicep slice can be... BUT... there are ways for the attacker to move and make the damage last.

Jarzi said:
I've always wondered why he keeps saying that. I guess I need to inform one friend that his ligaments didnt really tear/sprain when he got caught in a competition and didn't tap soon enough...

Yes, go on and tell him! You arrogant bastard! You have known for months that he's not injured and you're keeping the information to yourself! The poor man is paying for your actions! Tell him that Bas said there's no possibility of injury.

:eek:

b00m3r said:
Achilles lock does not equal straight ankle. The achilles is just a pain move where they're digging their wrist into your achilles. The straight ankle is where they're leaning back and placing downward pressure on the top part of your foot. That will absolutely cause some damage.

exactly, there is a lot of confusion between the achillies and an ankle lock. they look the same, but one is pain the other is pain with a lot of potential for damage.

I love Bas and his commentating.
Still, he is a commentator and he isn't omniscient so his job description is to talk alot during fights and sometimes he says stuff that is either partially or completely incorrect.
Like saying Joachim Hansen's weakness is his sub defense 'cause he got subbed by Ribeiro and in his first fight.
Well Ribeiro is one of the greatest submission guys out there and his first fight was years ago. Hansen is a BJJ brown belt and has competed in the ADCC so he's no sub slouch.

So regarding the ankle lock you might not break bones but you can rip ligaments or tear muscles with it and if it is not as debilitating as a heel hook or knee bar it certainly injures you when applied properly.

Back