Bas Rutten's MMA Workout

The set of workout CD's comes with 45 minute or so instructional DVD, and in ascending level of difficulty, a Boxing CD, Muay Thai CD, All Around Fighting CD, and All Around Workout CD. The first three have two tracks each, the first is 10 two-minute rounds with one minute rest in between, and the next is 7 three-minute rounds with one minute rest. Either one will kick your ass, but I think the 7 three-minute rounds burn you up alot more.

The All Around Workout CD is a motherfucking-son-of-a-bitch piece of conditiong motivation. The first track is a 29 minute straight workout with NO rest, other than maybe 15 seconds every 8-9 minutes where he tells you to move around and shake your arms out before he throws you headfirst back into the shit. THIS is what you strive to be able to complete. And as soon as you can complete this workout, you start challenging yourself to do more and more of each exercise. The first time I convinced myself to go through this workout WITHOUT PAUSING THE DAMN THING TO NOT DIE I puked twice. And then was sore for nearly a week after I finished.

After I became a bit more accustomed to the unrelenting pace behind this workout, I kicked it up a notch, and set goals. Everytime he said to do push-ups, sit-ups, jumping squats, etc, I had to do AT LEAST 10. That sounds really, really easy, right? 10 push-ups is a piece of cake, right? Not after 25 minutes of push-ups, shadowboxing, mountain climbers, and jumping up and down like a monkey on crack WITHOUT A BREAK. That's the part I really want to emphasize. You can think you're in great shape, because you can go for 3 minutes and then take a minute break for 5-7 rounds and complete the second track of any other CD. This one thumbs you in the eye for half-a-fucking-hour with no chance to get a drink of water, bend over and catch your breath, or lay down and play dead.

I love hearing Bas Rutten's unique voice and personality coach me through a session, too. It pushes me that much harder, even when I'm by myself. It's the same Be Like Mike that I had in the 80's... Except now I want to be like Bas! :D

I reached the point where I was completing at least 25 of each exercise everytime he tells you to perform something. That's pretty much limitless capacity at that point. He tells you '30 seconds push-ups, go, get down, keep going!' and in 30 seconds, even 25 minutes into this grueling ass-kicker, I could pump out a chain of 25 push-ups, flip over, and on the next 30 seconds tuck my toes under the couch in my living room, 25 sit-ups... Then hop to my feet, jump up and complete 26 lunges(13 per side :icon_twist Have to find a middle ground on something like that, just due to time constraint), then do 45 seconds shadow-boxing, etc... I became the Energizer Bunny(tm) until I had a string of leg injuries over the late part of this summer(right knee, left hip, left ankle, one after another)

This, I hope, gives everyone exactly the information they were looking for. It's the kind of promotional activity you can't buy. Word-of-mouth in the highest regard. If you have your basics already trained and know how to jab, cross, hook, uppercut, etc. You can basically just start training from home with the help of Bas Rutten.

I like Bas's workout. But I got turned off after he showed how to do the upper cut. He explained not to do it a certain way because "it looked dumb". Well...alot of techiniques may look dumb..but if they connect it's lights out. Other than that his video is fine. I dont mean to nit-pick, but if you do a variety of martial arts you begin to see the limitations of others.

The reason his DVD tells you not to throw an uppercut like that is primarily because... The way that he demonstrated that uppercut, even Bas himself would not be able to score a KO. He said something more to the effect of 'Don't throw the uppercut this way, because not only does it look dumb, but it will be without alot of power.' He used the uppercut as a HUGE wind-up, and ONLY arm punch. Mike Tyson would have a hard time KO'ing a teenage girl with a punch thrown like that. His advice was basically that, like all punches, your force is going to come primarily from below the waist. You need a bit of torque to get that thing moving fast and hard. I figure it's better that he at least threw that tidbit in there for free, since it's not really a striking instructional, but more of a tutorial on how to perform his workouts. If you needed to know that you don't throw an uppercut by just making your hand move upward from waist level(to about 1 foot ABOVE your head level) like a Rock'em Sock'em Robot, then I would go down to the TKD Mcdojo on the corner next to the Peter Piper Pizza so you can learn better hand skills. :eek:

Guards said:
The reason his DVD tells you not to throw an uppercut like that is primarily because... The way that he demonstrated that uppercut, even Bas himself would not be able to score a KO. He said something more to the effect of 'Don't throw the uppercut this way, because not only does it look dumb, but it will be without alot of power.' He used the uppercut as a HUGE wind-up, and ONLY arm punch. Mike Tyson would have a hard time KO'ing a teenage girl with a punch thrown like that. His advice was basically that, like all punches, your force is going to come primarily from below the waist. You need a bit of torque to get that thing moving fast and hard. I figure it's better that he at least threw that tidbit in there for free, since it's not really a striking instructional, but more of a tutorial on how to perform his workouts. If you needed to know that you don't throw an uppercut by just making your hand move upward from waist level(to about 1 foot ABOVE your head level) like a Rock'em Sock'em Robot, then I would go down to the TKD Mcdojo on the corner next to the Peter Piper Pizza so you can learn better hand skills. :eek:

Agreed. Point taken.

my bag swings around a hellof a lot when doing this, any tips on how to work with this? sorry if this is a basic question,i'm new to all this stuff

ok know thread is old, but wanting to by these, looking for some good cardio routines, i am 17 and getting in shape heard alot of talk about these, so i was wondering

is the set cd's or dvd's cause when i went to the sherdog store they had dvds, and i want cds

also is this ok for beginner, i mean i do cardio, and tabatta, is this good to start off wit to looking for something to change up my cardio.

How would you guys work this into training with weights for strength in the gym, doing these tapes, and rolling at least 3 times a week?

marine said:
ok know thread is old, but wanting to by these, looking for some good cardio routines, i am 17 and getting in shape heard alot of talk about these, so i was wondering

is the set cd's or dvd's cause when i went to the sherdog store they had dvds, and i want cds

also is this ok for beginner, i mean i do cardio, and tabatta, is this good to start off wit to looking for something to change up my cardio.
The set is a dvd which explains all the technique and his numbering system, although the booklet does the same job so if you already know what a pushup is and can throw a hook you could get by without it, and 4 cds. The actual workouts are on the cds and are recordings of Bas shouting instructions at you, great thing about this is you need next to no equipment to train just a cd player and maybe a heavy bag. The different workouts are: three striking workouts boxing (just hands), thai boxing (hands plus knees or kicks), all around fighting (hands, knees plus sprawls and pushups); there's also a great all around workout cd made up of some light shadow boxing along with tons of pressups, situps, jumping squats and the like.

If you have half a clue how to throw a punch this workout should be fine for you, you can easily scale up the difficulty by missing combinations out and doing more or fewer rounds.

so pretty much i can do all the stuff with out a heavybag cause i don't have one right now but will bet getting a 175lb bag

marine said:
so pretty much i can do all the stuff with out a heavybag cause i don't have one right now but will bet getting a 175lb bag
without a bag or partner and some heavy bags it becomes a shadowboxing routine, not quite as hard but still a bloody good workout.

ok cool i will be getting these very soon, thanks yall

I cannot say enough good things about the Bas Rutten MMA Workout.
It is absolutely wonderful.

New guy here, thought I'd ask a question. I'm a big guy, training Karate and BJJ. I'm about to start prepping for a BJJ tournament in March, so I'm looking to step up my cardio abilities and endurance. It sounds like this set could be a great investment, but I thought I'd see if anyone had thoughts on my scenario before I bought it.

Thanks!

Mr_Davil, this is an ideal program for you, then. You're training for a combat sport, and there are very few people on the face of the earth that know combat sports like Bas Rutten does.

You say you're a big guy, and I'm assuming this means 225+ with 18+% Body Fat? Just trying to get a feel for what we're talking about. Yes, this workout will absolutely improve your cardio. And it's actually fun, if you're a fan of Bas Rutten, to realize that HE DESIGNED these workouts for people like us. His fans, his students, or just fellow enthusiasts of martial arts. Those of us who own the workout session will praise it in the highest regard. Of all the things I've bought as far as training equipment goes, from gloves and uniforms, to supplements and gym fees, this workout set is my #1 favorite.

With 4 different CD's, it can help you change up the pace if you're not feeling too hot(Sometimes if I'm tired at the end of the day, for example...) you can pop in the Boxing CD and do 3-4 rounds just to get yourself going and do some light cardio. If you're really wanting to do a nice cardio workout while staying true to your 'roots'(You said you practice some Karate?) try the All Around Fighting CD. This one gets real tough and polishes up your cardio very well. You do punching combinations as he calls them out, then he'll give you the sprawl command out of nowhere, so you drop down into a takedown defense position, then pop back to standing as quickly as you can. This part messes with the rhythm of your breathing and makes the workout 5x harder than just the Muay Thai CD. It's the best part of strictly cardio training you can find. Mix it up with maybe a (your mileage may vary, pun intended... I love running though, some might not do it the same...) 1 mile run and some stretching before you start the CD, then a nice 1 mile slow-jog to help you cool down, avoid the cramps, keep up some bloodflow, and generally reflect on how awesome you feel after completing one of the CD's.

And of course, the All Around Workout CD. If you can develop the levels of physical stamina to complete this workout from start to finish without slacking off, cheating, pausing your CD player, or skipping commands to 'go get a drink of water'(which entails standing there with the glass for a minute and a half, dripping sweat like you hopped out of a swimming pool, and shaking your head at the CD player and Bas' pre-recorded voice, wondering what you ever did to deserve this...), you're almost guaranteed to be in about the top 5% of anyone in the tournament, so far as physical conditioning is concerned. Yes, I mean that literally. If you follow Bas' workout system on a regular basis, you will go from 'Average', or maybe slightly-below-average levels of cardio for someone in your shoes, to being one of the most tireless, fierce, and unstoppable forces in that tournament. Unless you forget to eat for a week before your tournament, you will NOT gas, even if you fight 10 minute matches.

The best part is, have you ever been at a tournament and watched some poor sap get fucked over because he just fought a 5 minute battle, eeked it out on points, is dripping sweat and gasping for air as the refs and judges tell him he's the winner... and the next table over calls his name because he's next to fight over there? Yeah, it's actually happened to me. More than once, especially if you start getting towards the higher rungs of the competition and nearing the Finals. The first time, I was so gassed that it was all I could do to defend, but ended up being defeated because my arms were dead tired and I had nothing left to fight off a choke.

Second time? About 8 months later, after I'd picked up the Bas Rutten's and worked my ass into shape. Finish a five minute match, pushing the pace the entire time, win it on points because my opponent was great at defending everything I could throw at him, and I was better at keeping positioning whenever he'd push back. Stand up at the end of the fight, probably an even harder fight than the one earlier that year that killed my cardio... And I wasn't even sweating, my breathing and heart-rate was hardly above normal. I was doing just fine, actually, and could have done the same fight five-times over again without exhausting myself.

The next competitor, straight away from the fight I had just won, was the one who was sweaty, gulping like a fish, and having a hard time keeping on both his feet that time. He knew I just came from a fight, and you could... if you looked hard enough, probably tell that he was shaken because he KNEW, for a fact, I was better conditioned than he was.

That's a feeling that you can't replace. Dominating the field like that, because you're physically and mentally tougher than your opponent is. What's even better, is that I'd been in his shoes once, and I knew just what he was thinking. It was the same thing I had been thinking eight months ago, when I was defeated because I couldn't keep up physically with the pace of the race. It was something along the lines of... "God-damn... I really need to work on my cardio..."

Back