Bas Rutten's journey as a groundfighter

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by JosephDredd, Aug 11, 2016.

1. JosephDredd

JosephDredd Gold Belt

If nobody has ever seen his fight narration, you should watch them. As a fight fan, they are one of the greatest things I've ever seen. He narrates his entire MMA career, fight by fight, as he learned the hard way what happens to strikers in MMA.

He's brutally honest about his shortcomings as he watches his old fights. He cheers himself during the Frank Shamrock fight because he says that's the first sprawl he ever really did because his takedown defense was attrocious. You can hear how frustrated he is watching the fighter he used to be lose again and again: "If I only knew then what I know now... I know a hundred ways to get out of this position."

Here's a perfect example of him narrating his transition from striker to mixed martial artist.

Also, everyone here should watch his third Jason Delucia fight. Even though I've seen it a dozen times, listening to him narrate how he stalked Delucia down and punished him with liver shots was one of the most riveting things I've seen in years.

AndyMaBobs likes this.
  2. JosephDredd

JosephDredd Gold Belt

And here he is, desevedly proud of his new ground game, as he talks about how he stopped striking and was training grappling twice a day.

Before this fight, where he really starts getting the ground game, it's amazing that he won several fights with submissions against seasoned pancrase fighters. He literally only knew a couple of subs and was actually winning fights with them.

3. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

Eh, I was a huge DeLucia fan back then. I cant watch that

He should have done movies. He is so handsome. He has that kinda of late 80s 21 Jump Street Johnny Depp look, but with real fighting skills.

4. vcmmafan

vcmmafan Dark Knight Returns

His Youtube fights with commentary are great