Bas Rutten

wushu

Professional Salad Tosser
@Silver
Reaction score
Sherdog has him at 28-4-1 with his losses coming to a young Frank shamrock by majority decision, Masakatsu Funaki by sub, and Ken twice by sub. He avenged the Funaki loss and arguably the Frank loss when he won a split decision. But he never got another shot at Ken, which was probably a good thing for him. The craziest thing to me is that he only fought 3 times outside of the Pancrase organization. His UFC career consisted of a mere 2 fights. His first was a late comeback victory over TK and was followed with the hotly debated decision win over the late great Kevin Randleman. He then retired only to return for one last mma fight against a game but severely outmatched "Warpath". What does the UG think about the fighting career of the legendary Bas Rutten?

He's a true pioneer of the sport and helped inspire a generation of fighters and set the stage for what MMA is today. I wasn't old enough to pay attention when he was fighting, but I've gone back and watched several of his Pancrase fights and it truly was impressive how well rounded and advanced he was with respect to fluidly combining different martial arts for the time. He is a legend in my eyes.

Some guy that wore goofy boots.
c3770920c8d0d598c16b488844d1069c.gif

Bas has had good striking but that was about it. If people go back and watch his pancrase fights they would see that, even for the time, he wouldn't have won much in Pride or the UFC. He spent a large percentage of time on the bottom of mount or in other really bad positions. There weren't any strikes so him not being able to escape didn't matter as much. He also only survived some fights because you could grab the ropes when being in a submission to escape. Some fights he rope escaped multiple times in one fight.

Sherdog has him at 28-4-1 with his losses coming to a young Frank shamrock by majority decision, Masakatsu Funaki by sub, and Ken twice by sub. He avenged the Funaki loss and arguably the Frank loss when he won a split decision. But he never got another shot at Ken, which was probably a good thing for him. The craziest thing to me is that he only fought 3 times outside of the Pancrase organization. His UFC career consisted of a mere 2 fights. His first was a late comeback victory over TK and was followed with the hotly debated decision win over the late great Kevin Randleman. He then retired only to return for one last mma fight against a game but severely outmatched "Warpath". What does the UG think about the fighting career of the legendary Bas Rutten?

Ken Shamrock said himself, that we did not get to see the Best bass rutten...that he was going into his prime or peak right when he had to retire....I think it was his knees...when He was skateboarding on YouTube I think he just had major knee surgery....

Bas has had good striking but that was about it. If people go back and watch his pancrase fights they would see that, even for the time, he wouldn't have won much in Pride or the UFC. He spent a large percentage of time on the bottom of mount or in other really bad positions. There weren't any strikes so him not being able to escape didn't matter as much. He also only survived some fights because you could grab the ropes when being in a submission to escape. Some fights he rope escaped multiple times in one fight.
1st of all, Pancrase or Rings were a different ballgame
In such different Fight Config. & Scorin´Systems, some specific technical sequences like full mount had a different value compared to traditional NHB or MMA a la Pride.
Moreover, rope escapes could sometimes have a tactical value, didnt necessarily mean that the fighter couldnt fight it out.

On the other side, bein´on your back in Pride wasnt a 'bad position' at all. The Scorin´System there had a modern, qualitative understandin´of the ground game.

I'm laughing at mma fans who are seeing the name "Bas Rutten" and going "who?" If you don't know/are too young, just google him. But don't shame yourself by logging in to post "Who?" like *nobody* knows who this international legend of the sport is.

He was a talented striker with very limited grappling skills. But he has a ton of charisma and was always entertaining to watch. One of the pioneers of this sport.
His submission skills were limited early in his career, but he literally spent the next 10+ years learning about every sub and grappling technique he could. . . and then wrote "Bas Rutten's Big Book of Combat", with a 200+ page submission volume, (and a 200+ page striking volume). His grappling only looked "bad" by modern standards. In reality, most people didn't have a great ground game at the time (just look at the "ground game" of his contemporary heavy weights at the time)

Back