Bas Rutten vs Wanderlei Silva

devilmaysquid

White Belt
Reaction score
So I was watching an episode of The Joe Rogan Experience where Bas Rutten was the guest. And at one point he mentioned that in PRIDE he suggested to come out of retirement to have a kickboxing fight with Wandy with MMA gloves. I think that would've been epic as all get out if that would've happened. Who would you pick to win and why?

Personally I think it would've been close with Bas taking a decision due to being more technical with his striking, but wouldn't be at all surprised with a T/KO from Wandy.

Yes, that would have been a good match up, but PRIDE/K-1 fed Iwasaki to Wand instead. :(

Don't care who wins that fight back then, because the fans would have been the biggest winners.

Tough fight to call, why kickboxing though?

Bas lost to Randleman. Randleman was robbed in a horrible decision.

That's a hard one to call... I think, even though in some areas Bas was overrated, his kickboxing might actually been underrated even though he was seen as one of the best... but then again Wand is Wand.

Would've been awesome though.

So I was watching an episode of The Joe Rogan Experience where Bas Rutten was the guest. And at one point he mentioned that in PRIDE he suggested to come out of retirement to have a kickboxing fight with Wandy with MMA gloves. I think that would've been epic as all get out if that would've happened. Who would you pick to win and why?

Personally I think it would've been close with Bas taking a decision due to being more technical with his striking, but wouldn't be at all surprised with a T/KO from Wandy.

Tough to pick between them but I'll give the edge to Bas if both were in their prime. Bas was never knocked out, as a heavyweight in MMA, so he's definitely got the chin to take a shot from Wand, and is probably the better kickboxer; slightly more technical with his Dutch style and probably more powerful too. Of course, if they fight today Wand wins given Bas' neck and knee problems.

Tough fight to call, why kickboxing though?

K-1 and Pride promoters were having trouble finding an opponent for Wand for Shockwave/Dynamite. Bas Rutten was approached on short notice to fill the slot.

Rutten, who hadn't trained consistently in several years, made a counteroffer. "Why not have me and Wanderlei fight with Pride gloves and Thai boxing or K-1 rules?"

The promoters liked the idea, but before Rutten could sign anything, Tatsuya Iwasaki had materialized.

"I thought maybe they had gotten some real tough dude, but no," Rutten recalls.

Bas rutten via straight punches, but this was during Wanderlei's mythic prime so I would have new surprised to see him pull out the KO.

I'd sell someones soul for this fight lol

People forget that Bas was just as savage as Wand but fought mostly in Pancrease

This would have been a toe to toe war.

I think Bas would have been to technical for Wand. Wand could win if he took it to the ground but if they met during the pride days it would have been a war.

interesting matchup. if were talking prime wanderlei or before cro cop knocked him out then i got wanderlei. nevermind either way i got wanderlei.

It depends. If bas fought wandy after he knew what wandy could do then I think bas would win. If bas fought wandy before he knew how dangerous wandy was wandy could beat him. Overall bas.

I'll take Bas by KO. Bas threw straight punches to Wandy's looping punches. Bas was never KO'd, Wandy has been...several times. Bas's punches get there first for the KO. Wish they could have done it, it would probably have been a classic! Did Bas ever face a world class striker in Pancrase?

I remember Bas and Stephen Quadros talking about the possibility of this fight during a couple of the early Pride events. Bas seemed well up for it.

K-1 and Pride promoters were having trouble finding an opponent for Wand for Shockwave/Dynamite. Bas Rutten was approached on short notice to fill the slot.

Rutten, who hadn't trained consistently in several years, made a counteroffer. "Why not have me and Wanderlei fight with Pride gloves and Thai boxing or K-1 rules?"

The promoters liked the idea, but before Rutten could sign anything, Tatsuya Iwasaki had materialized.

"I thought maybe they had gotten some real tough dude, but no," Rutten recalls.

Makes sense (well not the Iwasaki part) probably worried about cardio.

How come everyone thinks Bas will win because he can throw straight punches? It's directly after the Mirko fight. Mirko has a wicked left straight, it's what sets up his head kick.

Back