Bas Rutten says that Jon Jones is a dirty fighter

The stance that he uses is a type of muay thai stance to keep the opponent away and measure for kicks. Barao did it a couple of times in his first fight with Faber it can be dirty as fuck with how the gloves are and Jones should work on it.

Btw he comes off childish with that vid i'm not hating on him though.

I think fighters should aim to damage Jones' hand/arm with anything they possibly can, as I believe that is Jon Jones' greatest defense.

I think people should start throwing elbows and such and Jones' hand that he sticks out, in an effort to break it and deter him from using it in the fight.

Why would you wanna sleep with a stranger on Sherdog anyways?

Haven't you seen their avs? Many of them are attractive professional fighters or modelling girls.

Not a fan of the eye poke or the hyper extension thigh kick.

Disagree about the shoulder crank. You have a point that there may be no time to submit to that one but it's still perfectly legit.

The knee kicks and eye pokes I don't like because that could cause a career ending injury

Yeah, it's the potential injuries they can cause. I had no issue with that shoulder crank as a move, Frank Mir did it to Pete Williams at UFC 36 (albeit in guard), it was the way he seemed to just try to break it, as opposed to going for the sub.

It's my whole point though, he doesn't break rules, he just does these little things that make him seem dirty, sometimes unnecessarily.

He will do anything he can to win. That's his strategy. If you're fighting for your life, you want Jon Jones's mindset. In a fight? Ehhhhh. He's pushing the boundaries for sure.

- bas is correct

- meisha is not cute or anything, but god damn that woman is sexy

dirty, sure. his opponents are trying to knock his head off and sever him from his consciousness, or break a limb. if all it takes to stop that is holding his fingers out- do it.

its on the UFC/Comission to change the rules and fix the problem. Its a fight, and hes not breaking rules. Im conflicted because I think he should be allowed to use the tactic, but at the same time I dont want to see injured eyes.

Eye pokes should only be allowed if small joint manipulation was allowed. Can't allow one and forbid the other. Eye for a finger and all.

Why doesn't watch on youtube work anymore?

put more blame on the refs for enabling the eye pokes and you wont have this problem anymore.

This.

If the refs don't give a shit then it's OK. Even then you can do it a couple times and just get a warning. This includes cage grabbing to stop a takedown. You can bet your ass that if they punished it the second it happened with a point deduction, no one would do it.

But if they wanna let it slide, hey it's legit.

Lots of buttdevastation in this thread.

I always thought his kicks to the knees to hyper extend the knee, especially with opponents with past knee surgeries was a low blow...but then again it is a fight and the fighter will do what the refs allow...

I had a HUGE problem with this too. It was like an unwritten rule among fighters not to do shit like that. When he did it to rampage, you can see rampage look over at the ref like wtf. Also when he kept eyepoking rampage it frustrated page right out of the fight.

I got over my beef with the oblique kick very recently as it showed the combat effectiveness and maybe the purpose of a muay thai stance. I believe the technique might change mma for the better as it may lead to a better fighting stance being adapted for mma to avoid the technique. Isn't that what its all about? Finding out what's combat effective?

He really needs to quit the eyepokes though. If I were a ref, I would warn him about it before the fight (locker room rule meeting) and warn if he uses the open hand in the face. If a single poke took place, DQ. I bet he wouldn't try it again. It could potentially save the vision of the entire lhw division.

Last edited:
Does he stick.his hand in peoples face...yes. sticking your hands in peoples face is not eyepoking.
iJfFSKaaOcOx9.gif

I wonder what the Jon Jones fangirls on here are gonna come up with as exuses now that Dana White, Joe Rogan, Bas Rutten, Miesha Tate and the refs (and probably more or more to come) are starting to talk about Jones abuse of the eye pokes. I fought it was just "haters" on sherdog commenting on it, well oh well.

But i mean the Jon Jones fangirls on here must know more about MMA than Bas Rutten, my bad.

The way he goes about it isn't against the rules, either. It's not surprising to see that Greg Jackson and co. found a way for Jon to exploit his huge reach advantage. Is it a shitty thing to do? Yes, imo. Is it illegal? Is it gonna get fixed? Nope. No point in complaining about it, then.

Back