Bas Rutten Commentating?

Callisto

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, because my question crosses over from Invicta to the UFC.

I heard people here saying they would like to have Bass Rutten commentating in the UFC. So, I was excited he would be announcing at Invicta 4. I have to say I was not impressed. I am not trying to bash him. But I was honestly disappointed in what I heard.

I wonder if this was a typical representation of his announcing? Or maybe the other commentators and he did not mesh well. Or maybe he had an off night?

What did others think of his job announcing there? And does it influence wanting him to announce in the UFC?

Thanks

Didn't hear him announce Invicta but I don't want him commentating in the UFC. The last few times I've heard him he sounded awkward, poorly-spoken and generally embarrassing.

Great guy, but not a great commentator.

it's split. Most people that want him haven't heard in the last 5 years. lol

Didn't hear him announce Invicta but I don't want him commentating in the UFC. The last few times I've heard him he sounded awkward, poorly-spoken and generally embarrassing.

Great guy, but not a great commentator.

mqdefault.jpg

he's ok at best. joe rogan and mike goldberg are the cream of the crop no doubt.

guys like frank mir and kenny floriian, imo, are far better than bas.

but i enjoy his fun approach and there's a place for him. just not in the main commentating spotlight.

i think he'd be great at pre-fight interviews though.

I expect Daniel Cormier to commentate in the future. He is good

Bas' best commentary work was on early Pride events where his commentary was recorded in a studio, after the fact.

Bas Rutten is one of the most insightful ex-fighter/commentators around. I don't think he should be the lead commentator, but rather the support broadcaster. I enjoyed listening to him and Quadros together. Also, Frank Shamrock is another insightful, cerebral fighting mind that I enjoy listening to.

Bas Rutten is one of the most insightful ex-fighter/commentators around. I don't think he should be the lead commentator, but rather the support broadcaster. I enjoyed listening to him and Quadros together. Also, Frank Shamrock is another insightful, cerebral fighting mind that I enjoy listening to.

th

Yes, this is what I have heard said about him before. So I was expecting great insight. But I don't feel he really offered much of this at the Invicta event. He went off sort of singing at one point. It was weird. That is why I was wondering if he had an off night.......

I actually loved Bas commentating WSOF with Todd Harris. The thing with Bas is that he needs someone there to reign him in because he easily get's overexcited.

That's what happened at Invicta. You had Kedzie and Mo, who are very inexperienced color commentators and Bas. Things got too out of control, they needed to get Mauro back and replace Mo with Bas

he's ok at best. joe rogan and mike goldberg are the cream of the crop no doubt.

guys like frank mir and kenny floriian, imo, are far better than bas.

but i enjoy his fun approach and there's a place for him. just not in the main commentating spotlight.

i think he'd be great at pre-fight interviews though.

I really don't like Kenny Florian's commentating. He sounds like he's trying to imitate Howard Cosell; it's awkward, and he doesn't think fast enough to share his deep knowledge of the sport.

In contrast, I think Rogan is fantastic. He knows the sport well, and he thinks fast enough to smoothly and quickly give real-time insights as the fight happens. Rogan has some well-documented biases (such as reacting to leg kicks more than any other strike), but no human is perfect.

I actually loved Bas commentating WSOF with Todd Harris. The thing with Bas is that he needs someone there to reign him in because he easily get's overexcited.

That's what happened at Invicta. You had Kedzie and Mo, who are very inexperienced color commentators and Bas. Things got too out of control, they needed to get Mauro back and replace Mo with Bas

I've said it a million times. The recipe for a good commentary team is not that complicated. A good, knowledgeable play-by-play guy like "The Voice" or Mauro, and a well spoken ex-athlete as color commentator. This is why I hate the UFC commentary so much. Goldberg doesn't know shit even after being around the sport for years, and Rogan was never a fighter.

Bellator has a great team.

Back