Bas Rutten "Boxing" instructional. Corkscrew opposition!

I think it's really about what works for the individual. Foreman was an advocate of not turning the jab over occasionally to sneak it through the guard.

Yep. But then you get a pre-beginner poster seeing that and then they make posts about "which is better?" And of course their minds are already made up, they just wanted people to agree with them when they say they're going to only throw jabs without any turnover because "it's better" as it works a little more in one niche instance.

Their minds just can't or wont grasp that there's a main way to do things because it works BEST in MOST scenarios, and there are variations that you can do to help a little for the smaller, less likely scenarios sometimes. And you shouldn't spend all or most of your time, especially as a beginner, learning the variation as the default because it won't work very well MOST of the time.

Their brains just don't want to switch things up as needed. The only time they want to switch up is to permanently swap what should be their main technique for the much less adaptable tool. They find out the butt of a screwdriver maybe can be used to pound a nail once if you can't find your hammer and then that's all they intend to use when planning to build a future house.

"I'll just use this one exotic move for everything" -- It's like those f*cs never played Pokémon (!)

I'm just saying. I have been to two boxing trainers in a row that never drill vertical punches of any kind. Probably not a coincidence. Horizontal is default. The last one said vertical hooks make you more exposed to counters, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Horizontal hook makes your elbow rise up to the level of the fist creating an angle from your shoulder to fist at the elbow thet protects your face from counters. Additionally you hip rotate better in this way and the punch has more power.

Vertical imo is okqy if you are looking for a quick hool after a jab for example. Instead of double jab when doing jab-hook in a quick tempo. But then again you risk an overhand counter.

Here Bas is throwing horizontal straights.

Last edited:
Back