Bas Rutten and similar instructional training

penguinsfan

White Belt
Reaction score
I have seen several threads praising Bas Rutten's instructional material, but some seem to be more oriented to his workout programs and others towards his fighting techniques.

I have very stubborn bodyfat that doesn't want to go and I would love a good program to help torch it off and possibly improve fighting technique. Combat technique is secondary to conditioning for my needs, particularly aerobic fat burning movements.

Exactly what books/DVDs/etc. are the best products and where is the best place to buy? Thanks.

there isnt an exact book/dvd/etc that will really do the trick. i have hard time cuttin weight but what works for me is wakin up at 5:30 before work and doin sets of burpees then eating healthy all day but not 6-7 meals but more like 4-5. later in day i do my weight training then hit the mats at night

I suggest taking a stroll over to D&S. Diet alone determines fat loss. All the cardio in the world won't do much if your diet is shit (aesthetically speaking).

I suggest taking a stroll over to D&S. Diet alone determines fat loss. All the cardio in the world won't do much if your diet is shit (aesthetically speaking).

My diet is pretty decent. I'm not saying I don't have a couple of cheat meals in the week, but I watch my portions when I do. The basis of my diet is complex, whole grain carbs in the form of brown rice and pasta. I also eat chicken breast, 93% ground beef, and vegetables such as broccoli and cauliflower for dinner (dinner is about 800-1000 calories). Lunch is usually a lunchmeat sandwich with a can of soup (lunch is about 700-900 calories). For breakfast, I almost always eat a Kashi bar (290 calories) or a couple servings of oatmeal.

For cardio, I do about 60 minutes of high intensity on my ellpitical trainer about 5-6 days per week (burning an average of 1150 calories per session) and run a little on the treadmill one or two days per week.

there isnt an exact book/dvd/etc that will really do the trick.

I realize that one thing is not a universal, magic bullet but people sure have been praising Bas and I notice some claim great conditioning gains from his materials.

For conditioning, they're talking about the Bas Rutten MMA Workout.

Shotokan's right. Your diet isn't up to snuff. Get on the D&S forum and start using Berardi.

Your first sentence is incongruous with your second.

Many of the popular plans these days that have proven successful for many individuals such as Body For Life, The Abs Diet, 5 Factor Diet, etc. advocate a cheat day and reject the notion that it should be unbearably rigid for any length of time.

I'm not saying they're 100% right about that, particularly for everyone, but I'm just saying that approach works for many. I followed a similar plan to what I now do last summer/fall and lost 20 pounds in too months. Basically, I ate oatmeal and a piece of fruit for breakfast, a cold-cut with an apple and granola bar for lunch, a banana before my later afternoon workout, and vegetarian whole wheat pasta with another piece of fruit very late in the day after my workout. But I worked out a little bit more than I have time for right now, usually burning off about 1500 in calories per day. Now, with a little bit less exercise, and more protein/less carbs, the results seem to have gone down to nothing.

It's definitely not perfect, but far from shit. i'm not sure why a great enough amount of cardio wouldn't burn off excess fat, even with a poor diet. I happened to see a promo earlier today with U.S. Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps in it taking about how he attempts to eat 10,000 calories per day. Phelps is in excellent physical condition, but not stacked with ridiculous muscle mass like a bodybuilder, so he clearly does not do it merely to "feed muscle".

The basic thing I don't understand is when I googled "daily calorie need" I found this site:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I plugged in my age (33), height (5'9"), sex, current weight (223) and selected "little/no exercise desk job" and to the following results:

maintenance: 2339
fat loss: 1871
extreme fat loss: 1784

Again, I estimate my calorie intake at about 1900-2100 in a given day and I burn off about 1200 in cardio about 5 times per week and that doesn't even account for 4 sessions of MMA in a week. I crossed referenced this at another calories counter at www.mayoclinic.com and got a daily need of 2100 and that too was with an "inactive" physical level.

I'm not arguing or anything, but I'm just not understanding why my results defy everything I've been taught. I understand plateaus, but this is going on about 3 weeks since I've seen any kind of change.

I'm not arguing or anything, but I'm just not understanding why my results defy everything I've been taught. I understand plateaus, but this is going on about 3 weeks since I've seen any kind of change.

A calorie is not a calorie. You can count your calories, but still be getting those calories from subpar sources - it tricks you into thinking "hey, I should be having results!" but you don't.

Read up on Berardi and his articles, he explains it a lot better than I can attempt to.

A calorie is not a calorie. You can count your calories, but still be getting those calories from subpar sources - it tricks you into thinking "hey, I should be having results!" but you don't.

Read up on Berardi and his articles, he explains it a lot better than I can attempt to.

I would still say the majority of my calories come from whole grains, chicken, lean beef, olive oil, and broccoli, beans, or cauliflower.

I'll check the articles out. Please post any links to any particular good ones you know of.

I did a quick look in D&S last night and leafed through a couple threads. With a quick Google search, I kept finding some super ripped diet or something like that. In one place Berardi stated it is extreme enough that it is only for athletic people under 15% bodyfat or something and he referred to another diet, but I couldn't see any info. Anyway, at 5'9' 223 pounds I probably should not jump to something super restrictive or way out of the mainstream right away, but I'll look for ways to clean up what I have.

BTW, if Berardi is a low-carb diet...CANNOT do it. Low-carb diets give me horrific diarrhea to the point where I couldn't even make it into work. Only a significant case of food poisoning would compare.

BTW, if Berardi is a low-carb diet...CANNOT do it. Low-carb diets give me horrific diarrhea to the point where I couldn't even make it into work. Only a significant case of food poisoning would compare.

edit: Your list of foods are pretty solid. I take some issue with whole wheat and advocate ezekiel/sprouted grain breads if you're going to eat a lot of bread, but it's personal preference. Now, on to my rambling post...

Berardi is not really a diet, but a lifestyle change. If you read nothing else by JB, this is the one I'd point you towards:
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/7habits.htm

The list is thus:
1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).
So what about calories, or macronutrient ratios, or any number of other things that I

This seems really far off to me, but maybe its not...

I have heard others say that. Some people feel that many exercise machines deliberately overinflate the amount of calories burned, but I really don't see evidence for that trend. For example, take running. If I plug my bodyweight into a web site that has a calorie counter for various aerobic activities, it is damn close to what the display says on either a Life Fitness or Precor treadmill, for a given number of miles.

The reason I burn off so many calories on an elliptical is my machine has resistance levels 1-20 and I put it on 14, so it takes a pretty good push to get at it at a pretty good clip. My heartrate is steady around 165-170 for most of that hour. I quickly pause (a nice feature on the machine I might add) every 20 minutes for about 90 seconds to gulp down 12 ounces of water. At that end of the hour, I am absolutely drenched with sweat. I go at with with hard resistance because I can burn more calories in less time and I've had to learn to multi-task to get everything done in my life.

BTW, for what it's worth, I am still seeing improvements in my physique, but very slowly. The weight loss has pretty much stopped. Right now, I haven't done much anaerobic work for about six months (I know I need to get back to it) so any muscle gain should be very marginal.

Back