Bareknuckle Hooks

crooked

Blue Belt
Reaction score
hey, when i throw hooks it seems to me that i connect with my finger joints then knuckles. thats
usually when i do hooks with palm facing me, but it seems to me its better to do it with palm facing the ground. what are ur inputs on this.

Your finger joints are not a good striking surface. If that's how you impact when you throw a hook with the palm facing you, then stop hitting like that. Palm facing the ground is fine.

I personally wouldn't use hooks when fighting bareknuckle. I think that the chance of hitting with the wrong knuckle, or twisting your wrist in the wrong direction is way too high.

You could try hitting with the palm if you have to do hooks.

EDIT: Hooks to the body are obviously fine, unless you keep hitting the elbow or something.

You're hooking from too far away. The hook is probably the most versatile punch. By using footwork you can throw it from long, medium or short range but always make sure you adjust your range so that you land it on the knuckes. I do throw it palm down sometimes though. It's good to do that if you're countering a cross cause loop over the guy's shoulder and bicep area and catch the temple without bumping or bouncing off of his arm and then sliding off the top of the head with little damage. Anyways, footwork is key.

at my gym we don't use any strikes that risk hurting ourselves. i say just use the tiger claw (note the sarcasim)

mmaflcl said:
at my gym we don't use any strikes that risk hurting ourselves. i say just use the tiger claw (note the sarcasim)

You had me fearing for your welfare for a second.

Hooks where used in boxing AFTER boxers started using gloves.

NEVER EVER use bareknuckle hooks if you can help it you have a very good chance of fucking up your hands.

Bareknuckle you throw straight vertical punches.

^^^ yeah I never use bareknuckle hooks. Usually in a street fight I'll throw staights & if I do throw hooks its to the body

godking said:
Hooks where used in boxing AFTER boxers started using gloves.

NEVER EVER use bareknuckle hooks if you can help it you have a very good chance of fucking up your hands.

Bareknuckle you throw straight vertical punches.

I learned that the hard way. I fought off an attempted mugging with a low right roundhouse to the knee, stepped back and fired a right hook - vertical knuckles- to the temple. Put the guy down, ran like hell. I'm pretty sure I broke my pinky because it was swelled straight for a week, and it still hurts sometimes when I punch the bag wrong. This happened about 5 years ago.

Back