Bare Knuckle Boxing - What are your honest thoughts

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by MuayThai101, Apr 5, 2019.

1. MuayThai101

MuayThai101 Purple Belt

[​IMG] First off, check your snobby boxing elitism at the door.

As a FIGHT fan, I love everything BKFC is doing with bare knuckle boxing. They have revitalized one of the oldest sport. The history behind it has lots of mystique and romance. Just being a bare knuckle champion sounds bad ass. Let be honest, as entertaining as a boxing match, or Muay thai, or MMA match is, take off their gloves and it becomes 10x more interesting. Lets not deny it. This is why Kimbo Slice got so popular in the youtube scene. Its why street fights get millions of views on worldstar. Everyone gets fascinated. Putting on gloves is like putting on a condom. It dulls out the experience no matter how hot the bitch is. This is why bare knuckle boxing can get away with having lower level talent. Its because even their fights are exciting! The sound of knuckle penetrating the cheek bone arouses me.

BKFC is currently over run by washed MMA fighters. But thats a first step in the evolution. With a very critical signing like Pauli, it can make some serious noise and gain popularity which I look forward to seeing. It will open the eyes of pro boxers and bring in washed out boxers which is the next step in the growth. It will be higher level fighters competing. The product will look better. Until ultimately the signing of prime boxers happens which is very possible if the money in there which seems to be the case as BKFC maintains this momentum.

So what are your thoughts? I know older boxing fans are the most closed minded type of fans. But thats on them. I for one love fights. I will stop my car just to watch a fight between 2 chicks even.

BADBOYKILLA likes this.
  2. KAZSoliloquy

KAZSoliloquy 10/10 on Pitchfork

really doubt it ever brings in the type of money that pro boxing does and it brings along the risk of hand problems and scar tissue. it’s frankly a pointless venture for any fighter currently competing at a high level.

toogreen and wwkirk like this.
  3. PHATV

PHATV WHITEBELT Platinum Member

I got no problem with it, haven't been watching lately, but I would. And I'm old. Old enough where there were bare-knuckle matches in alleys where wagers were placed. Generally near a bar. lol

4. BillytheFish

BillytheFish Brown Belt

Im from ireland and ive seen bare knuckle fights (not bar fights but actual 'events')...pretty fucking shit. Ive had a few friends in the military do some bare knuckle fights in england too...and they were tough guys but not 'good' fighters compared to professionals...not even to decent amateurs to be honest.

Gloves were added for good reasons.

Less cuts/hand damage = longer fights = able to see real skill = better action

5. Absolut

Absolut Black Belt

Why is ‘fight’ in all caps?

I’m intrigued- however, it gives too much ammo to the bloodport proponents.

I disagree with it revitalizes boxing. Kimbo was a YouTube sensation. Huge difference between that and a ppv sensation. Walk down the street and ask random folks, Tyson/ kimbo. The results would be clear. Tyson in a landslide.

The average American doesn’t know shit about bare knuckle fighting, that it exists, and could give two shits about leben beating baroni.

You’ll never get Budweiser, coke etc to support it- and that’s all that matters.

A-Level Wrestler and wwkirk like this.
  6. PHATV

This. I never broke a hand, but I didn't really know anyone else to participate who didn't fuck up their hands, at least to some extent. Tape and some pad even is a hand-saver. They could even do that and it's still bare-knuckle to me. And, as mentioned, cuts too, but I would say the problem is mostly breaking hands.

Since I've already mentioned I haven't been watching the new stuff, are they wearing anything at all? Are they breaking hands?

wwkirk and BillytheFish like this.
  7. PHATV

I hear you, but a good scrapper would fuck Kimbo up. Masvidal showed that, IMO. At about what, 6 weight classes lower?

8. BillytheFish

BillytheFish Brown Belt

I broke my hand once on a guy's head, that fucker took 8 months to heal.
    Plus I worked a job where I'd fly in/out of my country of employment every few months, and would always have to handshake people as a greeting. My knees would almost buckle shaking hands when it was broken haha.

honestly i haven't watched any of the new stuff. id give it a chance as some background TV, but i dont appreciate it as 'boxing'. the skill level is worse than women's boxing.

Not gonna lie though the fact Paulie signed has me interested, Ive never seen a legit former champion boxer fight bare knuckle.

Aerosol, wwkirk and PHATV like this.
  9. Absolut

Absolut Black Belt

Kimbo was classic Internet forum hyperbole. Knocked out by a jab.

Gmork and BillytheFish like this.
  10. deucesarewild

deucesarewild Yellow Belt

I actually don't mind it.

11. zapataxiv

zapataxiv Black Belt

It’s a two step problem first they have to make pro boxing money, then they have to pay the fighters pro boxing money.

12. PHATV

I didn't want to PPV it, and I think that has been the model for those BKB shows.

BillytheFish likes this.
  13. Hagler

Hagler Man of wealth and taste

I have a hard time figuring out how bareknuckle fights can be all that interesting when none of the guys owes you money or screwed your sister, and is a clear underdog.

14. the_winding_way

the_winding_way White Belt

Serious question, do they wear mouthguards?

15. ccm22

ccm22 Green Belt

I bought the first two events on PPV. The first was pretty entertaining, but the second was the worst shit I’ve ever seen. I have no desire to watch bare knuckle again.

Jonny Ninja and PHATV like this.
  16. Minowafanatic

Minowafanatic Black Belt

nah. bareknuckle fights are boring.

17. KAZSoliloquy

KAZSoliloquy 10/10 on Pitchfork

in muay thai/lethwei it’s not so bad because hands are such a small portion of your attack. watching someone like saenchai with nothing but tape on his hands is pretty fun.

18. DeJulez

DeJulez Yellow Card Yellow Card

I want to watch Paulie.
    And now that Paulie has a beef with Artem....I now have to watch Artem tonight.
    Hopefully Artem wins so that Paulie can destroy him in the Summer.

Can you imagine Malignaggi-McGregor Bare Knuckle?

19. aries

aries Silver Belt

It's second rate to boxing by far. I'm a fan of skill so I'll always chose boxing over bareknuckle. The brutality of bareknuckle just isn't enough to make me watch it instead of boxing.

20. BADBOYKILLA

BADBOYKILLA Blue Belt