Barboza's Takedown and Ground and Pound On Melendez (Gif)

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
Pretty impressive actually.

AERvMg.gif

"Gil has everything a MMA fighter needs except speed, stamina, a punch, and ability to take punishment. In other words, he owns a pair of shorts."

Gil looked old and slow....Plodding around eating leg kicks and punches.

His GnP looked seriously violent, and the way he literally threw Gil over to the side when he shot in on him was impressive as fuck.

His GnP looked seriously violent, and the way he literally threw Gil over to the side when he shot in on him was impressive as fuck.
If Barboza develops a top game, that will be one scary dude. His ground and pound reminded me of Luke Rockhold the way he cleanly landed those bombs on Gil.

If Barboza develops a top game, that will be one scary dude. His ground and pound reminded me of Luke Rockhold the way he cleanly landed those bombs on Gil.
He'll always be chinney.

I really thought Melendez was gonna be champ when he came over from Strikeforce. I goofed

"Gil has everything a MMA fighter needs except speed, stamina, a punch, and ability to take punishment. In other words, he owns a pair of shorts."

He just came back from suspension. Some guys need a fight to shake off the rust.

He just came back from suspension. Some guys need a fight to shake off the rust.
I agree but I've always thought Gil was a little overrated. He's good enough to hang with the best but can't beat them. Where do you really go from there?

I agree but I've always thought Gil was a little overrated. He's good enough to hang with the best but can't beat them. Where do you really go from there?
Rematch with Diego IMO

Actually the same can currently be said about Barboza. He has won a lot of fights, but loses every time he gets close to getting his title shot.

Maybe he will change this on his title shot opportunity if that occurs on his next fight. He is still one of the most fun fighters to watch regardless of the results.

Actually the same can currently be said about Barboza. He has won a lot of fights, but loses every time he gets close to getting his title shot.

Maybe he will change this on his title shot opportunity if that occurs on his next fight. He is still one of the most fun fighters to watch regardless of the results.
I think Barboza actually faltered a lot when facing top competition, he was never closer to a title shot than he is right now. Pettis is still the most impressive win of his career but Gilbert is easily the second most impressive which means he has his two biggest wins back to back.

I think he already has a top game. He does not go for takedowns.

An Edson Barboza with takedowns would be a very though opponent to prepare for.

Does he lack the ability to take punishment or did he absorb leg kicks and punches throughout the fight? Which is it?

When I was watching that fight, I had a thought:

Combine Barboza's skills with Tony Ferguson's mean streak...now THAT would be a scary son of a bitch

So this proves that UFC Lightweights >>>>> Strikeforce Lightweights, right?

Am I doing this right?

Rolls eyes at anyone who's ever used such a statement seriously.

This is a silly comparison. Barboza destroyed Pettis and now Melendez. Was a very close fight with Tony Ferguson as well till he got caught in that choke. Can clearly hang with the best.. silly to say otherwise.

I don't see what is impressive. Gil come back from a years suspension. All other LWs would do the same, Melendez has been in a lot of close fights. But he isn't elite. Khabib would do the same to both Barboza and Melendez.

Back