Barbell-only routine for beginner?

• Thread starter Deleted member 412415
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 412415

I'm in my mid-teens, 5' 8", and 112 pounds (8 stone). I'm looking to get in to strength training properly, but I've a few problems.
I have a bench and like 70 lbs of weights, but thats not really much. I'm thinking of selling the bench and weights, cause the bench can only take 70lbs on the bench press supports :(
So i'll probably be upgrading to a 110lb set and working that for a while. What routine can i follow that will help me build strength and only requires a barbell?
thanks in advance :)

I have starting strength on kindle, great book.

I'm not too handy with DIY stuff though, but i guess I can give it a shot!

The internet is a good place to learn DIY. Google is your friend. Read the FAQ and stickies here as well.

At some point you'll have to learn to swing a hammer, drive a screw, etc. anyway. And hit the weights!

Barbell only stuff is fine, I would just keep an eye out in your local bargain finder and online on sites like craigs list or kajiji for really cheap weights and a squat rack.

I think we need an equipment thread. Both home made and store bought.

Do we have one already?? With maybe a bunch of links to online stores in the OP and then poster's DIY projects? I mean I've built and rigged plenty of this crap.

Squat stands, platforms, even racks have all been built by posters on here with basic info and skill sets.

Do we have one already?? With maybe a bunch of links to online stores in the OP and then poster's DIY projects? I mean I've built and rigged plenty of this crap.

Squat stands, platforms, even racks have all been built by posters on here with basic info and skill sets.

Belph has a DIY equipment thread somewhere.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I'm new to weight lifting, but I do a fair amount of bodyweight exercise already, with some strength moves (eg. one arm pushups) thrown into the mix. Any way i can integrate the two. I do enjoy bodyweight stuff :D

I'm sure everyone would love to have that. Me included, since i'm a skint student :p

I'm not an expert on S&C by any means, but this is a routine i've been doing recently with a 70-80 pound weighted barbell as part of a circuit.

-1x bent over row
-1x clean and press, place behind head
-1x squat
-put barbell back down
-squat thrust out
-1x press up on bar
-squat thrust back in
-Repeat

That's one rep. Repeat as many reps in allowed time, I usually do 1-2 mins.

Obviously don't do it if you are unfamiliar with how to lift weight properly.

I'm not an expert on S&C by any means, but this is a routine i've been doing recently with a 70-80 pound weighted barbell as part of a circuit.

-1x bent over row
-1x squat
-put barbell back down
-squat thrust out
-1x press up on bar
-squat thrust back in
-Repeat

Obviously don't do it if you are unfamiliar with how to lift weight properly.

good suggestion, thanks!

If this is what you want:
I'm looking to get in to strength training properly,

Then this is not the answer you seek:
-1x bent over row
-1x squat
-put barbell back down
-squat thrust out
-1x press up on bar
-squat thrust back in
-Repeat

Back