Barbell Lunges

Mojorisin99

Green Belt
Reaction score
Whenever I do this technique after I lunge forward an am returning to the starting point, the knee I am supporting the weight with feels like its locking up. Is this how it is supposed to feel since all of you weight is on one leg? And should you lunge forward just enough so that your knee is an inch off the ground?

i dont really know what you mean by "locking up" but it doesn't sound good. and yes your knee shouldn't touch the ground because that would take the stress off your legs.

Definitely doesn't sound good. Can't say I have ever experienced something like that.

I don't know if you want to try this, but I was doing dumbell lunges the other day (yes my masculinity was a bit damaged) and my roommate recommended that I do barbell lunges. EXCEPT instead of lunging forward, he said to step and lunge backward...said he was told this was a more effective lunge by a family friend who is also a strength coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. It seems awkward as I've tried it with no weight just to test the motion but I may get frisky and give it a whirl sometime down the road.

I feel like the leg that is holding the weight as I return to the starting position feels a lot of strain. It doesn't hurt just feels unsafe. What is the proper way to execute this move. It seems like if I dont move my front foot back quickly the rear knee is gonna get hurt.

Whenever I do BB lunges I don't really feel an excessive amount of weight on the rear knee. I just step forward and then push hard back up into a standing position. I don't let my knee touch and I keep my back verticle. Maybe you should re-evaluate your form or technique.

Sounds like you have a knee problem that might prevent you from doing this exercise no matter how good your form is. Consider consulting a physician.

yeah, sounds like you might have a knee issue that has nothing to do with the lunge. Check with your dr.

Check your doctor, hopefully your doing something wrong. Get someone to spot you and maybe they'll see something you can't, try doing the walking lunge, where instead of coming back to the original position you step into it.

You could also try lateral lunges, where the knee is in a different position. Plus, they are great for lateral flexibility.

Back