Barbell Hip Thrusts vs. Glute Bridges

I implemented glute bridges as a part of my routine for a few months at the beginning of this year. I was mainly aiming for better glute activation as a part of a "battle" against my anterior pelvic tilt. Did a couple of light sets for warmup before squats, and then treated it as assistance (in the 10-12 rep range). They helped and I liked them.

Sorry to ressurect this really old thread, but found it when searching for glute stuff after seeing the Bret Contreras thread. Wondering what else you did to "battle" anterior pelvic tilt (as I understand it this is back rounding in the squat right?) and what you think worked best?

Why the hell would that thread get locked...I wasn't attached to it but it was definitely of the s&C variety and on topic. Respected trainer/author calling out another widely respected trainer/author...

They recruited mods from other subforums to mod here and apparently they have no clue what they're doing. Just another reason we need new S&C mods.

While these may be helpful assistance exercises, one must also take into consideration how gay they'll look doing these in a roomful of dudes.

Do them in the privacy of your own home where no one can see.

Weight room is no place for vanity or feeling self conscious

Sorry to ressurect this really old thread, but found it when searching for glute stuff after seeing the Bret Contreras thread. Wondering what else you did to "battle" anterior pelvic tilt (as I understand it this is back rounding in the squat right?) and what you think worked best?

anterior pelvic tilt isn't the same as lower back rounding during a squat, in fact it's the exact opposite. Anterior pelvic tilt is when your pelvis tilts forward which has the effect of pushing your ass back a bit, see below:

anterior-pelvic-tilt2.png

It is often caused by tight/shortened hip flexors and/or poor glute activation. It's a common problem for people that sit a lot (e.g. have a desk job). Often people with anterior pelvic tilt will get lumbar rounding during squats but that's simply because they are inflexible in general.

While these may be helpful assistance exercises, one must also take into consideration how gay they'll look doing these in a roomful of dudes.

Or you could be comfortable in your sexuality and not give a fuck.

What an insecure little man.

I've played around with both Barbell hip thrusts, and glute bridges. And personally, I've realized that there really isn't a reason I shouldn't just do good mornings instead.

anterior pelvic tilt isn't the same as lower back rounding during a squat, in fact it's the exact opposite. Anterior pelvic tilt is when your pelvis tilts forward which has the effect of pushing your ass back a bit, see below:

anterior-pelvic-tilt2.png

It is often caused by tight/shortened hip flexors and/or poor glute activation. It's a common problem for people that sit a lot (e.g. have a desk job). Often people with anterior pelvic tilt will get lumbar rounding during squats but that's simply because they are inflexible in general.

Ah thanks a lot for the expalanation, my bad then. I'm pretty flexible and don't work a desk job but my back still rounds sometimes during squats.

:eek: That lady is sexy!!!!!! I would like her a$$ . Anyways I think I might start doing hip thrust in my workout. Do you guys recommend them in your workout about the same time she put them in her workout....squats, couple other exercises, then hip thrust?? Sorry if this question seems stupid but I have to ask.

Ah thanks a lot for the expalanation, my bad then. I'm pretty flexible and don't work a desk job but my back still rounds sometimes during squats.

In that case it could be a form issue or a glute activation issue.

homophobes.png

122CCB374EB7543C313FDB

As DrB mentioned, the pelvis tilts anteriorly and posteriorly. If your pelvis is constantly at a somewhat anterior tilt, then that is a postural deviation that you might want to get rid of.

At the bottom of the squat you do want your pelvis to be anteriorly tilted (to maintain a neutral lumbar spine alignment). The muscles responsible for it are the low back extensors and the hip flexors, so when you are in the whole of the squat you need to be flexing both those muscles forcefully to keep your pelvis from tilting posteriorly (aka tail-tucking). Apart from an activation issue, it can also be an issue with flexibility (in which case you should work on it, but in the meantime only go as low as you can while maintaining a neutral lumbar alignment).

For more info on addressing the tail tuck:

Also, yeah, I also don't see why that thread got locked.

Just make Tosa or Bdan a mod and be done with it already. Jesus fuck.

I had a bad case of APT.

Started doing glute bridges before every workout/training. I also did hanging leg raises, lying knee raises with bands, and the x-walk thing with bands.

Absolutely amazing difference it makes. Especially in boxing, I was wondering why my legs were getting tired so fast, because my glutes werent doing any of the movement. It is also helpful for BJJ, especially with a flexible hip flexor

I would wear lipstick, spandex, and paint my nails if it would give me an extra 100 pounds on my squat. What the retards in my gym think of me is way down on my list of priorities.

Back