Barbell Hip Thrusts vs. Glute Bridges

Long Dark Blues

Poet — Traveler — Soldier of Fortune
@Silver
Reaction score
They look very similar, if not exactly the same. What's the difference between the two?

I'm trying to find a good assistance exercise to replace hanging leg raises on my 5/3/1 deadlift day. Hanging leg raises are killing my elbows and shoulders. To the point of 5 minutes or so of close-to-excruciating pain after each set in both arms.

I already do good mornings. So I'm wondering if either hip thrusts or glute bridges would be good to include instead of the hanging leg raises.

The difference is shown here Five New Powerlifting Assistance Exercises
Although I'd just say glute bridge with shoulders elevated, rather than barbell hip thrust, it's just symantics.

Why do you think it would be a replacement for hanging leg raises. Glute bridges are a posterior chain exercise (glutes primarily, also hamstrings and lower back), while hanging leg raises are an abdominal and hip flexor exercise.

Ah, thanks. I'm not trying to replace the hanging leg raises with similar assistance work, but just trying to find a new assistance exercise that would go well on my deadlift day that doesn't destroy my shoulders and elbows.

Did someone day barbell hip thrusts?

Can these replace cable pull throughs?

Can these replace cable pull throughs?

They're similar, although cable pull throughs are typically done for higher reps, since most lifters either can do the whole stack and/or end up being pulled backwards. While with glute bridges you can go very heavy.

I implemented glute bridges as a part of my routine for a few months at the beginning of this year. I was mainly aiming for better glute activation as a part of a "battle" against my anterior pelvic tilt. Did a couple of light sets for warmup before squats, and then treated it as assistance (in the 10-12 rep range). They helped and I liked them.

They seem like they would be helpful in developing the ability to quickly and violently bump large ass opponents off from mount if they stay near the hips for too long.

bump

glute bridges are awesome for grappling. I can do 350 x 5 easily now and only weigh 170 so I can easily buck people my own weight off of me

hmmm I think i found a new assistance exercise.

+1 for sure. I have weak ass hamstrings/glutes so I am definitely going to work these in. Not to mention my hip mobility sucks ass, currently am having to stretch into getting to parallel on squats with a wider stance. Hopefully this is more common among new lifters and I'm not alone here.

I've been doing the hip thrusts since I made this thread. I like them a lot and they kick the shit out of my hamstrings and glutes. I started with 135 lbs. and do 5 sets of 10. Right now I'm up to 225 lbs.

I've been doing the hip thrusts since I made this thread. I like them a lot and they kick the shit out of my hamstrings and glutes. I started with 135 lbs. and do 5 sets of 10. Right now I'm up to 225 lbs.

How much has it effected your squats and deads? Numbers then compared to numbers now would be pretty cool, if you don't mind sharing.

In August my deadlift max was 490 lbs. Two weeks ago I pulled 515 lbs. I haven't tested my squat max in a long while. Now, I don't know if these have for sure helped me pull that 515 lbs., but I'd like to think so.

In August my deadlift max was 490 lbs. Two weeks ago I pulled 515 lbs. I haven't tested my squat max in a long while. Now, I don't know if these have for sure helped me pull that 515 lbs., but I'd like to think so.

I feel like it would have a lot more carry over to squatting, but you're so much stronger than me I should probably just shut the hell up haha.

Back