Barbarians(series) regarding the spoken tongue of said barbarians

mmawarrior20

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
so apparently the Germanic barbarians in netflix series "barbarians" speak standard german. I would think old norse or icelanic would be a closer sounding language to visigoth (or whatever the ancient germanic tribe depicted was)

I see someone is enjoying their history 101 course.

Idk, that would be probably the equivalent of a thick canadian accent in a LOTR setting. @Zer? As you are both german and canadian and coincidentally a hobbit.

Reactions: Zer
so apparently the Germanic barbarians in netflix series "barbarians" speak standard german. I would think old norse or icelanic would be a closer sounding language to visigoth (or whatever the ancient germanic tribe depicted was)
No, they spoke perfect german back then just like everyone else. You Nerd.

Whatever old Germanic language they spoke is probably dead, or at least rare. High German is spoken by a hundred million people or so, and sounds similar enough to the untrained ear, to be believable. Not that egregious IMO. And I don't think the Romans are speaking Old Latin, either.

I'm on S3 E10 of Vikings and I still can't wrap my head around the language scheme. The Norsemen, Saxons and Franks all have a non-English native language and can't communicate with eachother (Norse to Saxons, Norse to Franks, etc) yet all speak English when amongst themselves (Norse to Norse, Saxons to Saxons, Franks to Franks) lol. I suppose it's done for practicality to avoid 100% of the show requiring subtitles

Bro, it's a German show.

That's why it's primarily in German.

If the BBC makes a new King Arthur movie, do you think they're gonna record the audio in old Welsh with old English at times?

Nah, it'll be in the primary language of the audience it's produced for.

Whatever old Germanic language they spoke is probably dead, or at least rare. High German is spoken by a hundred million people or so, and sounds similar enough to the untrained ear, to be believable. Not that egregious IMO. And I don't think the Romans are speaking Old Latin, either.
Latin is a somewhat extinct language only taught for historical and/or sentimental reasons. The region that used to be the heart of Rome now speaks Italian

Latin is a somewhat extinct language only taught for historical and/or sentimental reasons. The region that used to be the heart of Rome now speaks Italian
I understand, but back in the day Italian didn't exist. Romans spoke an old Latin dialect.

I understand, but back in the day Italian didn't exist. Romans spoke an old Latin dialect.
This is half out of my ass but I think today's Italian is really Tuscan. I think it was adopted in as the official language in the early 1900s. I think regional dialects in Italy all developed on their own from Latin. Kinda like a smaller scale version of the romance languages.

Back