Barbara Reynolds:I was a civil rights activist in 1960s. On Black Lives Matter

And they had almost everything taken from them just 70 years ago. And yet, they are now known to be pretty successful

Not necessarily, some probably came to the US with a bit of their wealth. More importantly they moved to the most developed country on the planet where there wasn't as strong a culture of Antisemitism as there was in Europe and many were educated so they came here with some skills. Still very different from blacks who for most of their existence in the US were treated as an underclass, either explicitly as slaves or as an economic underclass through Jim Crow and redlining.

Not necessarily, some probably came to the US with a bit of their wealth. More importantly they moved to the most developed country on the planet where there wasn't as strong a culture of Antisemitism as there was in Europe and many were educated so they came here with some skills. Still very different from blacks who for most of their existence in the US were treated as an underclass, either explicitly as slaves or as an economic underclass through Jim Crow and redlining.

Not to mention they share a religion which essentially forces Jews to keep a lot wealth inside their communities.

Not to mention they share a religion which essentially forces Jews to keep a lot wealth inside their communities.

And they're not as different physically speaking from the majority white population as blacks or Asians are. A lot of Jew basically look white.

NataliePortman09TIFF.jpg

140101697-301x400.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of them either but I have to agree with them when they say that to get attention sometimes you have to rustle some feathers. I don't think blocking off highways was the best idea but, as much as I like Sanders, I think they succeeded when targeted him. Why Sanders? Well, because he's the one most likely to listen and it worked because shortly after his campaign outlined their policy on racial justice.

Yes they have to rustle some feathers but it matters whose feathers they're rustling ... Going after commuters on their way to work is pathetic. Going after a candidate who wants to help you is also pathetic.

They should target the GOP. Rustling their feathers would only make sense..

I think they do have a problem though and its a lack of organization. Its not as much a mess as OWS as they have released policy suggestions but they suffer from a lot of the same issues other social movements by millennials do. Namely that these movements can sprout up incredibly quickly due to social media but because they don't have to do the leg work of organizing through institutions like churches they're also more liable to splinter and fizzle out. That risk is increased by the fact that they move onto the strets before forming a unified voice and message. Given how democratized social media and the internet has made this sort of thing and their focus, or rather more generally young leftists' focus, on internationality and diversity means you can have a plethora of competing voices within one movement drowning one another out before you get anything meaningful done.

No disagreeing with you here

They've never said only black lives matter, they just want to focus on black lives because of a perceived injustice in the way police shootings of blacks are handled.

I don't think they're doomed, perhaps they can rise to the occassion and organized and present a unified message. They have released policy suggestions for instance
http://blacklivesmatter.com/demands/

Agreed. Like income inequality, police brutality and lack of accountability does seem to effect the black community disproportionately but its not necessarily only a race issue despite unfortunately being painted that way.

I suck at multi quote on my phone, so...

I thought the reason Bernie got booed off stage was because he dared to say all lives mattered.

It's a good thing they're writing up a mission statement so to speak. Hopefully it helps get out a unified message instead of just a mish mash of angry noise.

Agreed. Although those issues seem to affect the black community more.

Yes they have to rustle some feathers but it matters whose feathers they're rustling ... Going after commuters on their way to work is pathetic. Going after a candidate who wants to help you is also pathetic.

They should target the GOP. Rustling their feathers would only make sense.
Blocking the roads was a bad idea but I've explained why going after Bernie wasn't. Namely, because he's the candidate most likely to listen to them. Trump would just have security take them away. It might grab a headline or two but the Bernie incident was a bigger story than that would be and they actually got heard.

Don't get me wrong, I get why some people don't quite care for them but sometimes you have to get past that initial bad taste in your mouth to see why do things. They're not always right, far from it, but they're not completely stupid either.
I suck at multi quote on my phone, so...

I thought the reason Bernie got booed off stage was because he dared to say all lives mattered.

It's a good thing they're writing up a mission statement so to speak. Hopefully it helps get out a unified message instead of just a mish mash of angry noise.

Agreed. Although those issues seem to affect the black community more.
It was because he said all lives matter but that doesn't mean they think only black lives matter, it means they see "all lives matter" as a deflection when the issue they're tackling is one that they see as, I would say with some merit, a black issue.

Blocking the roads was a bad idea but I've explained why going after Bernie wasn't. Namely, because he's the candidate most likely to listen to them. Trump would just have security take them away. It might grab a headline or two but the Bernie incident was a bigger story than that would be and they actually got heard.

Don't get me wrong, I get why some people don't quite care for them but sometimes you have to get past that initial bad taste in your mouth to see why do things. They're not always right, far from it, but they're not completely stupid either.

It was because he said all lives matter but that doesn't mean they think only black lives matter, it means they see "all lives matter" as a deflection when the issue they're tackling is one that they see as, I would say with some merit, a black issue.

You're wrong. They are stupid. Very, very stupid.

The BLM movement is the worst thing to happen to black America in a long time. Blaming everyone else for the problems of blacks when the problem is right there in front of them. Not to mention, they're making everyone even more racist

Last edited:

Exactly, Bernie is the one candidate who would have listened to them, and they should have respected that fact and the man himself by speaking to him accordingly ... Instead they bum rushed the stage like a bunch of goons, disrespecting him and his event as well as the thousands who came to heard Bernie speak. Then to top off their incoherent rant, they proceeded to call the crowd racist and full of white supremacists because the crowd wanted to hear Bernie speak.

It was an all around pathetic display.. The whole movement is, as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, there obviously is racism when it comes to police and "justice" in the USA, and that needs to be addressed.

Exactly, Bernie is the one candidate who would have listened to them, and they should have respected that fact and the man himself by speaking to him accordingly ... Instead they bum rushed the stage like a bunch of goons, disrespecting him and his event as well as the thousands who came to heard Bernie speak. Then to top off their incoherent rant, they proceeded to call the crowd racist and full of white supremacists because the crowd wanted to hear Bernie speak.

It was an all around pathetic display.. The whole movement is, as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, there obviously is racism when it comes to police and "justice" in the USA, and that needs to be addressed.

To be honest I never saw the whole incident, once it picked up I stopped watching so it sounds a lot worse than I imagined. Still, the idea worked even if the rhetoric and the self righteousness should've been toned done. But if you say that to them they'll accuse you of tone policing

To be honest I never saw the whole incident, once it picked up I stopped watching so it sounds a lot worse than I imagined. Still, the idea worked even if the rhetoric and the self righteousness should've been toned done. But if you say that to them they'll accuse you of tone policing

Eh, I think Bernie had a plan to deal with racial injustices regardless of the BLM goons.

Surprising, considering he's a "white supremacist" lol

Eh, I think Bernie had a plan to deal with racial injustices regardless of the BLM goons.

Surprising, considering he's a "white supremacist" lol

Even if he didn't the mere fact that he would focus so much on economic inequality meant that his policies would disproportionately benefit blacks.

yeah I'm not really sure there are problems that should or can be dealt with.

I'm not really a fan of the BLM movement; granted, I'm not an opponent, either. I just think they're limiting the scope to a single group instead of focusing on a larger problem.

That being said, black men are convicted at higher rates and sentenced harsher than their white male counterparts for the same crimes. That's one area that needs to be fixed.

Said differently, I think anyone being honest would readily admit that under normal circumstances, they'd rather be the "white" defendant on trial than the "black" defendant. That's something that needs to be addressed.

On the other hand, the issue with cops and civilians is a two way street, and I'm just not going to limit myself to viewing the issue from one perspective or the other.

I'm not really a fan of the BLM movement; granted, I'm not an opponent, either. I just think they're limiting the scope to a single group instead of focusing on a larger problem.

That being said, black men are convicted at higher rates and sentenced harsher than their white male counterparts for the same crimes. That's one area that needs to be fixed.

Said differently, I think anyone being honest would readily admit that under normal circumstances, they'd rather be the "white" defendant on trial than the "black" defendant. That's something that needs to be addressed.

On the other hand, the issue with cops and civilians is a two way street, and I'm just not going to limit myself to viewing the issue from one perspective or the other.

And you don't think money has anything to do with this??

Look at a graph that shows sentencing based on how much money the defendants have and they are exactly the same as white vs black sentencing. It's all about money.

Crybaby liberals ands blacks dont want to hear that tho

And you don't think money has anything to do with this??

Look at a graph that shows sentencing based on how much money the defendants have and they are exactly the same as white vs black sentencing. It's all about money.

Crybaby liberals ands blacks dont want to hear that tho

Thats because your claim about money is untrue. The studies that Soda is likely references control for income, because that is a very basic thing to control for. It is undeniable that our justice system treats black defendants differently from white counterparts.

There's also evidence that has just recently come out that prosecutors are far, far more likely to strike black jurors than white jurors, especially in cases where there are black defendants.

Slaverys over bro. U cant just buy black ppl.
This is the shit im talking about folks.

His bail is $10mil so i guess hes worth that much

8RkRdAo.gif

Because that's exactly how bail works? I'm guessing you're a 22 yr old black male groomed by your family growing up to hate white people?

Dejulez

Didnt know that africans sold other africans into slavery.

Dejulez knew that. Dejulez also asked you to point out how many or what percent were sold by other Africans and you said 12%.
The argument from white people is "Well Africans sold Africans so its not our fault" when in reality most were stolen.
Europeans were already capturing Africans and using them as slaves. Certain African countries or tribes took notice and started capturing their enemies to try and sell them to the Europeans.
Most slaves were in Africa were stolen not bought.

Dejulez knew that. Dejulez also asked you to point out how many or what percent were sold by other Africans and you said 12%.
The argument from white people is "Well Africans sold Africans so its not our fault" when in reality most were stolen.
Europeans were already capturing Africans and using them as slaves. Certain African countries or tribes took notice and started capturing their enemies to try and sell them to the Europeans.

You have me confused with another poster, i never said 12 percent, i never said any percent.

So you think white slave traders traveled to foreign lands, got out, walked around areas and just randomly started grabbing blacks and the tribes people just sat there and watched them?

Versus having african middlemen who captured or bought other african convicts, war prisoners, etc sell them to the whites.

Wouldnt the second time people saw the white ships arriving, the tribe would go to war to stop them from taking their own people?

Which sounds more plausible?

Back