Barbara Reynolds:I was a civil rights activist in 1960s. On Black Lives Matter

Makes sense, you both have about the same IQ.

200_s.gif

Nobody knows the names of any dead white kids, cause they arent plastered all over 24 hour news for weeks on end. So noone would get your jokes. Its funny that way isnt it. There are cases of cops shooting unarmed white kids too, but it just doesnt "sell" so we dont get their names, cause in the end their lives apparently dont matter, apparently only the BLM.

What u mean it doesnt sell?
Do black ppl run the news? Are the viewers mostly black?
Jon Stewart and Oreilly had an argument about white privilege, and Stewart asked him the question i always want to ask white ppl who think like u do.
"Why so defensive?"

No ones callin u a racist, all ppl are doing is pointing out things that happen to black ppl that wouldn't necessarily happen if they were white.
How is that hard to admit?

I'm pretty sure the Sanders campaign released their plan to deal with racial justice afterwards ans did at least one other candidate so in the end it worked.

what is "racial justice"?

Slaverys over bro. U cant just buy black ppl.
This is the shit im talking about folks.

His bail is $10mil so i guess hes worth that much

That other poster was right. Your IQ is clearly below room temperature.

What u mean it doesnt sell?
Do black ppl run the news? Are the viewers mostly black?
Jon Stewart and Oreilly had an argument about white privilege, and Stewart asked him the question i always want to ask white ppl who think like u do.
"Why so defensive?"

No ones callin u a racist, all ppl are doing is pointing out things that happen to black ppl that wouldn't necessarily happen if they were white.
How is that hard to admit?

Did i come off as defensive there in any way? If so is wasnt intended that way. I was simply stating that noone knows any name of any white teen gunned down by cops so noone would understand your joke. EVERYONE knows Mike Browns name cause it was a national story for months. I just think its ironic that black people think black lives dont matter when the deaths of the blacks killed by cops are the only ones we ever see on the news. Since Mike brown was shot and killed 14 teens have been killed by cops.... oddly enough Half the kids have been white and half have been black, i cant remember seeing any coverage of the white ones killed, do you.
So the exact same number have been shot and killed since so maybe the things peeople believe ONLY happen to blacks actually happen to whites to, it just doesnt flare up the outrage (AKA sell)

So is the term "foreign policy", doesn't mean there aren't specifics in there that need to be dealt with.

yeah I'm not really sure there are problems that should or can be dealt with.

I understand why it seems that way but their contention is that its black lives that are most vulnerable and thus require special attention. The assumption is that other lives are already seen as important but its black lives that need to be affirmed to matter.

It seems to me their motto is only black lives matter, at least while Bernie S is making a speech.

As far as them being divisive, I agree and I think that's something that applies to many young, leftists with a hyper focus on identity politics. I understand that white sensibilities should not be among the top priorities in this discussions but its important to try and build bridges too instead of constantly alienating others. This is why I think such movements can quickly become echo chambers and why they're vulnerable to fracturing; they only care to address voices that agree on certain major issue but because of their hyper focus on identity politics and their diverse make up you can quickly have different sub groups claiming they're not being represented and that's a dire accusation among these types.

Makes sense. This "movement" is lacking: leadership, focus, a SOP, and unity. This makes it a jumbled mess that can't be taken seriously. Righteous anger is all good and even necessary but without conveying the message well, or offering solutions it looks like a temper tantrum.

But the difference is the police are actors of the state and tend to face few repercussions. When a black guy shoots another black guy and they know his name he tends to get arrested and locked up while cops get paid vacations.

This happens to white people as well. If Mike Brown would have been shot by a black cop nobody would even bat an eye. Including white supremacists.

yeah I'm not really sure there are problems that should or can be dealt with.

When it comes to racial justice you mean? There most certainly are but I will say that movements like BLM are myopic and have their own agendas that seem impervious to evidence. We hear about how blacks are are only 13% of the population yet are roughly 30% of those shot by police and are more likely to be unarmed when shot by the police but that ignores the fact that blacks commit more violent crime in general and against the police.

Truthfully while I do see the constant mention of black on black crimes as a deflection I think at its roots the causes of that and the disproportionate police violence against blacks are the same. If these neighborhoods were safer you wouldn't need that extra police presence. To me its clear that these communities are still suffering from racist policies of the past like redlining and some current policies like the drug war. If you were to solve some of the key issues I think the violence by police against blacks would drop significantly

That said, in the interim I don't think its wrong to want to tackle police accountability as it effects these communities even if I don't always agree with the way a movement like BLM handles itself.

It seems to me their motto is only black lives matter, at least while Bernie S is making a speech.
They've never said only black lives matter, they just want to focus on black lives because of a perceived injustice in the way police shootings of blacks are handled.
Makes sense. This "movement" is lacking: leadership, focus, a SOP, and unity. This makes it a jumbled mess that can't be taken seriously. Righteous anger is all good and even necessary but without conveying the message well, or offering solutions it looks like a temper tantrum.
I don't think they're doomed, perhaps they can rise to the occassion and organized and present a unified message. They have released policy suggestions for instance
http://blacklivesmatter.com/demands/
This happens to white people as well. If Mike Brown would have been shot by a black cop nobody would even bat an eye. Including white supremacists.
Agreed. Like income inequality, police brutality and lack of accountability does seem to effect the black community disproportionately but its not necessarily only a race issue despite unfortunately being painted that way.

When it comes to racial justice you mean? There most certainly are but I will say that movements like BLM are myopic and have their own agendas that seem impervious to evidence. We hear about how blacks are are only 13% of the population yet are roughly 30% of those shot by police and are more likely to be unarmed when shot by the police but that ignores the fact that blacks commit more violent crime in general and against the police.

Truthfully while I do see the constant mention of black on black crimes as a deflection I think at its roots the causes of that and the disproportionate police violence against blacks are the same. If these neighborhoods were safer you wouldn't need that extra police presence. To me its clear that these communities are still suffering from racist policies of the past like redlining and some current policies like the drug war. If you were to solve some of the key issues I think the violence by police against blacks would drop significantly

That said, in the interim I don't think its wrong to want to tackle police accountability as it effects these communities even if I don't always agree with the way a movement like BLM handles itself.

I think the lack of outrage and outspokeness towards other blacks is what annoys some people. Thats why you hear that comeback a lot of the times about how much. I mean you scream and scream and scream about BLM and what not, yet tons and tons of young black youth are still rocking the "stop snitching" shirts and living that motto. So you only care about BL when they are taken by people who arent black is how it seems to many. You cant help bring a criminal to justice if hes black and kills another black, but you are filled with outrage when a cop in the line of duty has to take someones life... it just makes a lot of people look like hypocrites.

Back