Barao-Dillashaw and Shock, Aldo, and Underdogs in MMA

Kelman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm still struggling to make sense of Barao vs Dillashaw.

It seems everyone in the media is now making fun of Dana White for saying that Barao was the p4p#1 leading up to this fight... but I have to be a man about it and admit that I too considered Barao to be the best in the business right now. Whereas Aldo has largely become a safety-first points fighter and Bones Jones only asserted himself over Gus by the skin of his teeth (in his first fight with someone who can match his physical dimensions), Barao seemed to be the guy most likely to fill the Anderson Silva void, thrashing a succession of strong challengers with brutal and brilliant style.

When I was predicting how Barao vs Dillashaw would go, the striking repertoire and power demonstrated by Barao in the Faber rematch was at the forefront of my thoughts. Faber has shown some excellent striking skills in recent years, most notably vs McDonald and Bowles, and no-one (including the pre-UFC super-aggressive Jose Aldo) in the past 6 years had been able to stop Urijah... and Barao just picked him apart and beat him down within 4 minutes.

To me, these guys just seemed to be on two different levels. I figured Dillashaw was a good, solid, competent striker, but who'd been knocked out early by flyweight John Dodson, and had never really displayed Barao-level kickboxing abilities.

So basically, what I am saying is, I've never been more shocked by how a fight has gone, ever. There have probably been some bigger upsets in MMA history, but personally, the very idea that TJ Dillashaw could utterly dominate a striking-heavy bout with Renan Barao for 20+ minutes and then knock him out... I just couldn't conceive of that.

And in a way, I still can't. It doesn't really make sense to me. I'm not sure about the answers to any of these questions:

- Did Barao take the massive underdog lightly?
- Did he get hurt so badly in the 1st round he was a walking corpse for the rest of the fight?
- Is Dillashaw just a much, much better striker and fighter than 90% of us believed?
- Has Dillashaw's striking improved at a meteoric rate recently while working with Ludwig?
- Did Dillashaw's gameplan just work perfectly vs Barao's style, but he may go back to looking mortal again vs an Assuncao or a Dodson?

Or, is the way that MMA is structured and publicized now done so in a way that guys are presented as raw no-hopers in these fights, in an unfair and reductive manner? I'm thinking of this point in relation to the recent Chandler-Brooks fight, where another young starlet shocked everyone by winning vs an established elite level guy. Is the fact that young fighters without a Conor McGregor-like persona or gimmick are brought up in low-key undercard fights and never showcased to the wider MMA public, does this mean that we habitually underrate and under-value legitimate title contenders? I think this question deserves serious thought.

--

Quick question to close - Obviously Barao and Aldo are different fighters, and obviously Dillashaw and Mendes are different fighters, and obviously no two fights are ever the same... but do you think the outcome of the Aldo-Mendes 2 fight could be similar to Barao-Dillashaw? Till now I figured Aldo would overcome some sticky early spots in the first round, and legkick his way to a decision, as per. But the Barao-Dillashaw fight really has shook me to my core, in terms of what I assume about fights. Is it really outside the bounds of possibility that Mendes could keep making Aldo think about an incoming takedown, and then hurt him with punches? Mendes showed serious power in the Guida fight and in other recent bouts, and I remember Aldo getting caught with a fair amount of clean punches in the last 2-3 rounds of the Edgar fight. I'm starting to wonder..

long read...but i read it

He took Dillashaw lightly and wanted to stand and bang and put on a show. He couldnt believe that TJ hit him and instead of being technical he started to brawl. Barao only really covers up after he throws not when he throws and he leads with his head sometimes.

He knew the TD threat was there but he didnt even really try to throw leg kicks. Dillashaw was in his head with his movement but when he almost was finished in round one he was basically broken. When you are an elite striker and your corner tells you to get the takedown on a guy you didnt think could strike with you it messes with you.

As for the Aldo Mendes fight it just got a lot more interesting now. I dont know if Mendes has the footwork that TJ has but if Mendes striking technique has risen as much as Dillashaws has Team Alpha Male might have another belt coming home soon.

That was an absolutely flawless performance from Dillashaw! I didn't think Roe Jogan was in any way exaggerating when he was claiming it was the best performance he'd ever seen.

But....

I do think that was a once in a lifetime performance, and I don't think TJ will hold the strap for long. I could be wrong, but its just a gut feeling I get.

(I also got that feeling about Mighty Mouse, so what do I know right?)

long read...but i read it

He took Dillashaw lightly and wanted to stand and bang and put on a show. He couldnt believe that TJ hit him and instead of being technical he started to brawl. Barao only really covers up after he throws not when he throws and he leads with his head sometimes.

He knew the TD threat was there but he didnt even really try to throw leg kicks. Dillashaw was in his head with his movement but when he almost was finished in round one he was basically broken. When you are an elite striker and your corner tells you to get the takedown on a guy you didnt think could strike with you it messes with you.

As for the Aldo Mendes fight it just got a lot more interesting now. I dont know if Mendes has the footwork that TJ has but if Mendes striking technique has risen as much as Dillashaws has Team Alpha Male might have another belt coming home soon.

Mendes will never, i repeat never beat Aldo! Aldo imo has been and will remain the number 1 p4p fighter on the planet! Everyone bought into the Barao hype via UFC hype machine once again! Aldo is legit and Mendes is way to small with his t-rex arms and tiny legs to out strike the lengthy Aldo, will never happen!

To me its the same as Anderson and Chris. The American wrestlers are stepping up their games by attacking aggressively and its throwing the Brazilians for a loop.

Very good text. I agree with most part of it... Just think Bar

Barao never recovered
From that first shot he took

And that faber Aldo fight
Was a early stoppage

I think TJ looked extra dominant because Barao never recovered from that 1st round knockdown. Barao looked completely shook. Around the 3rd round, I knew Renan couldn't win. You could see it on his face, his soul had already been taken.

I will say that there is a delusion that forms around dominant champions often known as the 'aura.' These guys are only human and are fighting dangerous opponents. Everyone loses if they fight long enough.

Barao usually relies on just a few good weapons in the standup, the leg kicks being the main.
This time around, he got beat at his own game. TJ opened up by landing a lot of heavy leg kicks, switching stances, and getting in and out.
Barao quickly went flat footed, couldn't time his spinning kicks or any other kind of kicks.
Barao was also probably not used to having someone throwing just as good as him.

Ive seen Fedor tap and sleep.
Ive seen Hendo sleep
Ive seen Anderson sleep
Ive seen Hunt sandman'ed by a MW
Ive seen Big Nog finished and subbed and broken
If you're telling me MMA is a sport of neverwillhappen I'll call your bluff

These days between coaches, film and athletes I dont think I can count anyone out. The days of winning just because you have no gameplan are gone.

To me its the same as Anderson and Chris. The American wrestlers are stepping up their games by attacking aggressively and its throwing the Brazilians for a loop.

Well, irrespective of what it is or isn't to you, it isn't the same thing at all in any way. And to reduce it to nationalities is just so reductive it removes all value from the statement. Dillashaw used movement to outstrike Barao consistently over 4.5 rounds. That isn't even remotely similar to either Anderson-Weidman fight. The first time, Weidman did some good work on the ground then took advantage when Anderson's hubris saw him showboating to an extreme degree. In the rematch, Weidman landed a big shot from the clinch, utilized some GnP, and then in an uneventful second round an injury occurred because a blocked kick hit the wrong spot and snapped. Absolutely shit all to do with using movement to consistently outstrike a rival round after round. And nationality is beyond irrelevant here.

Ive seen Fedor tap and sleep.
Ive seen Hendo sleep
Ive seen Anderson sleep
Ive seen Hunt sandman'ed by a MW
Ive seen Big Nog finished and subbed and broken
If you're telling me MMA is a sport of neverwillhappen I'll call your bluff

These days between coaches, film and athletes I dont think I can count anyone out. The days of winning just because you have no gameplan are gone.

All true.

In the last year, Dan Henderson, Anderson Silva, Mark Hunt, Shogun Rua, Nate Diaz, and Clay Guida have all lost by TKO/TKO in the UFC.

A bizarro world, these days.

My wife pointed out in the first round that she liked the way TJ was moving (jumping in to hit and jumping out before being hit). I think this was key. He seemed 1 step ahead of everything Barao could throw.

Barao did not take anyone lightly, he just came up against a wrestler who's striking is was on point. I also think that when Barao got hurt in the first round he never really recovered.

I'm still struggling to make sense of Barao vs Dillashaw.

It seems everyone in the media is now making fun of Dana White for saying that Barao was the p4p#1 leading up to this fight... but I have to be a man about it and admit that I too considered Barao to be the best in the business right now. Whereas Aldo has largely become a safety-first points fighter and Bones Jones only asserted himself over Gus by the skin of his teeth (in his first fight with someone who can match his physical dimensions), Barao seemed to be the guy most likely to fill the Anderson Silva void, thrashing a succession of strong challengers with brutal and brilliant style.

When I was predicting how Barao vs Dillashaw would go, the striking repertoire and power demonstrated by Barao in the Faber rematch was at the forefront of my thoughts. Faber has shown some excellent striking skills in recent years, most notably vs McDonald and Bowles, and no-one (including the pre-UFC super-aggressive Jose Aldo) in the past 6 years had been able to stop Urijah... and Barao just picked him apart and beat him down within 4 minutes.

To me, these guys just seemed to be on two different levels. I figured Dillashaw was a good, solid, competent striker, but who'd been knocked out early by flyweight John Dodson, and had never really displayed Barao-level kickboxing abilities.

So basically, what I am saying is, I've never been more shocked by how a fight has gone, ever. There have probably been some bigger upsets in MMA history, but personally, the very idea that TJ Dillashaw could utterly dominate a striking-heavy bout with Renan Barao for 20+ minutes and then knock him out... I just couldn't conceive of that.

And in a way, I still can't. It doesn't really make sense to me. I'm not sure about the answers to any of these questions:

- Did Barao take the massive underdog lightly?
- Did he get hurt so badly in the 1st round he was a walking corpse for the rest of the fight?
- Is Dillashaw just a much, much better striker and fighter than 90% of us believed?
- Has Dillashaw's striking improved at a meteoric rate recently while working with Ludwig?
- Did Dillashaw's gameplan just work perfectly vs Barao's style, but he may go back to looking mortal again vs an Assuncao or a Dodson?

Or, is the way that MMA is structured and publicized now done so in a way that guys are presented as raw no-hopers in these fights, in an unfair and reductive manner? I'm thinking of this point in relation to the recent Chandler-Brooks fight, where another young starlet shocked everyone by winning vs an established elite level guy. Is the fact that young fighters without a Conor McGregor-like persona or gimmick are brought up in low-key undercard fights and never showcased to the wider MMA public, does this mean that we habitually underrate and under-value legitimate title contenders? I think this question deserves serious thought.

--

Quick question to close - Obviously Barao and Aldo are different fighters, and obviously Dillashaw and Mendes are different fighters, and obviously no two fights are ever the same... but do you think the outcome of the Aldo-Mendes 2 fight could be similar to Barao-Dillashaw? Till now I figured Aldo would overcome some sticky early spots in the first round, and legkick his way to a decision, as per. But the Barao-Dillashaw fight really has shook me to my core, in terms of what I assume about fights. Is it really outside the bounds of possibility that Mendes could keep making Aldo think about an incoming takedown, and then hurt him with punches? Mendes showed serious power in the Guida fight and in other recent bouts, and I remember Aldo getting caught with a fair amount of clean punches in the last 2-3 rounds of the Edgar fight. I'm starting to wonder..

His 'bang muay thai' is tight, lol. Love his transformation from a wrastler to something truly special. I do feel like Barao took Dillashaw lightly, I do feel like he was surprised by TJ's speed, and I also feel like he never recovered from that flush overhand right in ROUND ONE. I'd still bet on Barao in a rematch to be honest.

Barao did not take anyone lightly, he just came up against a wrestler who's striking is was on point. I also think that when Barao got hurt in the first round he never really recovered.

Oh yeh? Did wrestling win the fight for Dillashaw? I wish ppl would shut up about floor hugging. Dillishaw out Thai boxed Barao and that's how he won.

Back