Bands the Change over Time

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Usually becoming softer, but not always.

Paramore is really different now:

2009:

2017:

Incubus

1995:

2017:

Who else?

Modest mouse has really gone to shit.

Deep Purple probably evolved more than any rock band I can think of.

The Underworld is another one from pop dance music to trance tecnho

The Sword

This. But I think it's just as much of their sound production as it is them. Their 1st couple of albums are pretty solid tho. Well produced too.

Metallica is another band that comes to mind as they've been thru a few different changes.

I dunno, on one hand it sucks when a band you dig changes their sound. On the other -it can be tedious doing the same thing over and over again.

One band that I thought handled what I like to refer to as 'steady evolution' really well was 'Nothingface'. They did 4 major albums and each one evolved from the next while keeping some of what worked previously in place. All 4 of their albums are good imo, if you are in to the band of course.

An example of a band handling it poorly for me would be Slipknot. Their 1st album was great -and then they completely abandon that formula because 'reasons'

Last edited:
Perry went from this

To this

Both Perry and his wife ruined Jane's and I'll forever hate them for it.

AFI has changed constantly throughout their career.

i read thread title and came here to post paramore lol

The Beatles went from "Love Me Do" to "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" in the space of about four years.

R.E.M went from this

To this

Then after the mid 90s they went to pieces and their albums became unlistenable for me.

I guess as they're in my avatar, I gotta post Mastodon.

They're still metal obviously, but still a notable enough change.

Well, I guess the artist in my av as well as sig fits the criteria. Chelsea certainly didn't get softer over time.

I guess as they're in my avatar, I gotta post Mastodon.

They're still metal obviously, but still a notable enough change.

Thanks for posting this. Even though I listen to a lot of Demons and Wizards, Iced Earth, and Dragon Force type shit, I never liked Mastadon. Might look at them again. Their new stuff sounds more my speed.

Back