Bands, musicians you just don't get

Tool, Pink Floyd, Metallica. Most bands, I can understand why they are as popular as they are. It could be timing, it could be association with other things (thinking Jam Bands, Modern country music and Jimmy Buffett), or just general pop music which is aimed at other audiences. With these groups, it makes no sense to me. I don't think they're bad, but I can't understand the sense of importance people place on them.

The Beatles. The only thing good I can really about them is that I have made money performing "In My Life" at weddings. Other than that, I can't think of any other song of theirs that I like. It's basically everything I hate about pop music.

Radiohead
Metallica/Megadeth
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Ted Nugent
Kid Rock

I can see the appeal of most songs. Even if the lyrics are trash, designed to be an easy sell to a mass-market, the tunes are usually pleasant to the ear.

However, Migos, and whatever genre that is, is complete trash, with no redeemable qualities, whatsoever. Actual audible cancer.

Any metal with someone grunting about satan, well I spose it has a comedy factor.

tumblr_m0fm7f2wbZ1rp1c5lo1_400.gif

Yeah Ghost.

A lot of metal heads love it for some reason... I don't get it at all. The stuff I heard was terrible.

Maybe they deserve another listen?

They don't. His previous band, Repugnant, is much better and you'd be better off listening to Blue Oyster Cult instead of Ghost. Or In Solitude, The Devil's Blood, or any number of more modern bands.

As the story goes, I was conceived at a Dead show.

I only made one before Jerry died, a bunch after but it just wasn't the same.

I was just at the second Dead & Company show in Camden last weekend. It was lackluster, but had a few good moments before it was rained out.
I simply haven't had the heart. Once he passed I couldn't be part of that anymore.

I still recall the night they brought back Dark Star.
Our cheering practically overcomes the music until nearly the first verse.
That run was when I met my first wife. Magic.

KISS.
Bunch of hacks. I’d paint my face too so no one would recognize me playing such shitty music.
The KISS movies, when i was a child, were cool though. Doubt they aged well.

Billy Joel.

Uptown Girl, are you fucking kidding with that schlock?

Still Rock and Roll?

Bad cheese.

I actually really like a lot of Billy Joel songs. But after seeing what a complete douche nozzle the guy is, it’s hard to listen to them now.

I still don't understand how some people think Lars Ulrich is one of the greatest drummers on the planet

B.B. King.

I hear unremarkable playing, against unremarkable rhythm sections. Every time I'm out somewhere and he comes on, I go check to see who's playing this rudimentary stuff, and of course it's BB.

Why does he have such a great rep, why is he so highly respected as a guitarist? Blues playing is all about feel and passion, and I don't hear that in his solos.

Also, and everybody *gasp*, but apart from his early, energetic electric blues material, Clapton became boring. Slowhanded. Sleep inducing.

And Korn. I have no clue why they ever got nationally known.
BB King was more than just a blues guitar player. He was a great showman, he put on a good show that made people feel at home.

I can agree that comparing him to some legendary guitarists can leave a person wondering though.

Here's a couple I know I'll take some shit for- Hendrix and the Doors. Aside from a couple of exceptions, their songs just aren't very good, IMO. Like "Are you Experienced." Thats one of the most unpleasant, monotonous songs I've ever heard.
And Jim Morrisons poetry was just a bunch of nonsense.

it's weird

I really don't like most types of metal, at all, but I absolutely love Pantera

can't explain fully why, just the combo of Phil/Dimebag/Vinny Paul/Rex just produced a sound I really really liked.

Which is saying something, b/c VDOP or Far Beyond Driven plays NOTHING like the Great Southern Trendkill, I love them all tho

Drake. Kanye. Jay-z (he's ok tho)

What's so good about any of these guys?

Drake is the worst. Poor rapper, bad singer, nothing lyrics, songs aren't catchy, annoying voice.

Kanye West has a TERRIBLE voice and rapping style. You wouldnt listen to singer with a bad singing voice so I don't understand why people listen to a rapper whos voice gives people ear cancer.

JayZ is a wonderful writer but I cannot enjoy his rap because of his voice.
yeah I hear you. I feel the same way about kendrick lamar. dude sounds like a nerd. give me some old fat joe or nwa anyday.

BB King was more than just a blues guitar player. He was a great showman, he put on a good show that made people feel at home.

I can agree that comparing him to some legendary guitarists can leave a person wondering though.
It isn't even by comparison.
His playing is so simple, it needs a ton of emotion to carry it.
But what I hear is simple and uninteresting.

I feel like I've known players with two years under their belt that are better.

Here's a couple I know I'll take some shit for- Hendrix and the Doors. Aside from a couple of exceptions, their songs just aren't very good, IMO. Like "Are you Experienced." Thats one of the most unpleasant, monotonous songs I've ever heard.
And Jim Morrisons poetry was just a bunch of nonsense.
I'll disagree about Jimi. As a guitarist there's no overstating where he took electric playing.

Morrison had a good voice but that's about it

Back