Bands/Groups you love that Peter out after 2 albums

Headkicktoleg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've noticed I enjoy a lot of bands that have a great unique sound, but they only seem to be able to put out about 2 albums worth of actually good content. After that they seem to either want to change the sound drastically or just start to suck really bad. A couple of bands I love that follow this trend are

Minus The Bear: Really awesome style for the first two albums. They seemed to have a lot of fun making these. Upbeat sounds about doing fun shit like traveling to Europe or boat trips. Also a unique guitar style where tapping was the basis of every melody. Their 3rd album was "more mature" and they dropped the silly song names and almost completely dropped their signature sound of guitar tapping. They have some decent songs on the other 3 albums, but nothing that compares to the first two.

Dredg: They started out as a very interesting prog rock band with interesting concept albums. The first two albums had hard hitting and emotional songs. Heavy, but still quiet at the same time. Reverb and crunch were abundant, but not over powering. The 3rd album wasn't a huge departure, but it felt like they were running out of ideas. 1/2 the album sounds similar to the first two then the 2nd half is almost like basic 90's soft rock. Very weird. 4th album follows the pattern of the 3rd and they are completely done with the prog rock. 5th album was so bad I LITERALLY threw it out of my car window.

Men Without Hats. Their first few albums were a great addition to the New Wave scene from Canada. Since that "Pop goes the world tune" they suck!!! That is all I got for now.

The Strokes probably fit. First album was brilliant. The second one was good and underrated. Since then they just havent recaptured the spark.

Kings of Leon are also another example of that. Went from cool classic rock rootsy indie band to mainstream radio sludge.

I personally thought Sam's Town and Hot Fuss were pretty good Indie albums, but after that they seemed to become pretty pop and I couldn't get into 'em.

Skid Row count? Too old?
For those of us that liked the 80s and 90s hairband styles, their first two albums were fantastic. I heard their third was okay, I never listened to it. They fell into obscurity after that. I'm sure it had a lot to do with prominent band members leaving.

The Strokes probably fit. First album was brilliant. The second one was good and underrated. Since then they just havent recaptured the spark.

Kings of Leon are also another example of that. Went from cool classic rock rootsy indie band to mainstream radio sludge.
Funny enough Kings of Leon were nicknamed the southern strokes for a while. But I think their 3rd album Because of the Times is actually their best and even though it's pretty mainstream the album with Sex on Fire is actually pretty good for a 2010's rock album

Funny enough Kings of Leon were nicknamed the southern strokes for a while. But I think their 3rd album Because of the Times is actually their best and even though it's pretty mainstream the album with Sex on Fire is actually pretty good for a 2010's rock album
as someone who saw them open for the strokes way back in 2004 I have to disagree. Their first album was the best.
UpS.gif

Molly chambers gonna change your mind!
saw them live in phili maybe a year or two later. they were excellent. really brought the house down. my ex gf loved them so they allways bring up emo memories :( lol

Disagree with you about MTB ts. Planet of Ice is their GOAT imo.

agree about that the strokes.

I’ve never listened to kings of leon except what I’ve heard on the radio. I wonder if I’d actually like their older material...

agree about that the strokes.

I’ve never listened to kings of leon except what I’ve heard on the radio. I wonder if I’d actually like their older material...
def check out their first two albums man. they were like another poster said billed as the " southern strokes" because they were melodic and garagey. they opened up for the strokes two when i saw them.

def check out their first two albums man. they were like another poster said billed as the " southern strokes" because they were melodic and garagey. they opened up for the strokes two when i saw them.
I’ll check em out. I’ve been needing something “new” to listen to.

Pixies if you don't count Come on Pilgrim as a full album.

I've noticed I enjoy a lot of bands that have a great unique sound, but they only seem to be able to put out about 2 albums worth of actually good content. After that they seem to either want to change the sound drastically or just start to suck really bad. A couple of bands I love that follow this trend are

Minus The Bear: Really awesome style for the first two albums. They seemed to have a lot of fun making these. Upbeat sounds about doing fun shit like traveling to Europe or boat trips. Also a unique guitar style where tapping was the basis of every melody. Their 3rd album was "more mature" and they dropped the silly song names and almost completely dropped their signature sound of guitar tapping. They have some decent songs on the other 3 albums, but nothing that compares to the first two.

Dredg: They started out as a very interesting prog rock band with interesting concept albums. The first two albums had hard hitting and emotional songs. Heavy, but still quiet at the same time. Reverb and crunch were abundant, but not over powering. The 3rd album wasn't a huge departure, but it felt like they were running out of ideas. 1/2 the album sounds similar to the first two then the 2nd half is almost like basic 90's soft rock. Very weird. 4th album follows the pattern of the 3rd and they are completely done with the prog rock. 5th album was so bad I LITERALLY threw it out of my car window.
Definitely agree about Minus the Bear

I think the 3rd album is good too but after that is fucking awful

Thought of a couple of more bands that I feel fight this criteria...

Ratatat

Baroness

The Strokes and Interpol both come to mind. Excellent first two albums and then just meh after.

Back