Bands from your country/region/city that should have made it, but didn't

Darwinist

Super Simian
@Gold
Reaction score
Figured this would make for an interesting thread for Mayberry music lovers. Post some examples of(and preferably a short write-up) of a band that was the shit, but never managed to break big beyond your local scene before splitting up.

My first pick would be the Icelandic "occult post-punk" band

Life or Death, their record Abomination is fucking flawless and almost no one knows who they are. They broke up shortly after it came out a few years back I think. None of their songs are even on youtube.

If we are talking my state there are a lot of bands from So-Cal that I'm surprised did not get bigger than they were. This includes a bunch of bands on Fat Wreck Chords.

Social Unrest in the mid to late 80s , should have been big

Last edited:
Not local, but this guy was seriously underrated and though he did put out a few albums, he never made it big.

Though I reckon the market for goth folk is limited, his music had potential go beyond the genre IMO.

His lyrics... damn.

Hes a cuban from Jersey, also author of the "Oh my goth" comic series.

Life or Death, their record Abomination is fucking flawless and almost no one knows who they are. They broke up shortly after it came out a few years back I think. None of their songs are even on youtube.

What genre did they play?

Not local, but this guy was seriously underrated and though he did put out a few albums, he never made it big.

Though I reckon the market for goth folk is limited, his music had potential go beyond the genre IMO.

I

None that I can think of. Most of the local bands were pretty shitty. There was a decent pop punk band around years ago called Junction 18 that I at least thought would get big in that scene but they didnt really catch on.

What genre did they play?

Metal/hardcore. None of the live videos come close to doing them justice, Abomination is a masterpiece.

I can't vouch for the weakass dancing in the video, they were playing out of town.

My Friends from Champage Champage. Went on tour together with Macklemore and still didn't hit the Bigtime... Yet. Still loved around Seattle, though.

Sloan would've been huge if they were British or American...catchy pop music.

It's a damn shame about FM. They had some real talent, there can be no question.

From my area...

Don't really know of any.

I live really close to where Keith Whitley and Billy Ray Cyrus grew up (they're from different counties).

The best local band is the Pactolis Pony Riders, but I can't say they "should" make it anywhere.

I will be disappointed in nobody from England mentions "Play" or "Fallout Club." They were fairly awesome and should have experienced greater proclaim.

There are three I can easily say that could have "made it" out of our metal scene back in the late 90's early 2000's.

First one is Serberus. They were a melodic death metal band, they broke up pretty early on after only a couple years. Vocals were nothing to write home about, but instrumental parts were badass. Super heavy.

Next is Throcult. They eventually turned into a black/death metal style that I didn't care for much on them, nor was it memorable. But their early stuff was this weird kind of Electronic Death Metal that was really original and creepy sounding. I loved their originality during this time period, and they really gained a lot of momentum before unfortunately changing too many members and their style.

This is a whole album from that period. Key track is "Missing" at 11:33

Last is Silencer. These guys were phenomenal. They had several albums ranging from Power Metal to Heavy Neo-Thrash metal. I briefly played bass as a fill in for these guys for a few months actually. Here's their last video, they just recently announced an indefinite hiatus. Too bad, these guys were great.

Back