banana bag vs tear drop vs standard

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
saw another thread about bags, and I thought I would create this one. Whats the deal with america and the banana bags or you hear them called muay thai bags. at most thai gyms, they generally dont have banana bags, or they may have a couple, but the majority of the bags are the standard or tear drop bags, However in America, almost all muay thai or mma gyms have nothing but the banana bags. now all the bags have different uses and benefits. but generally speaking I think that the standard bags are better than the banana bags, so my order of preference would go, standard, tear drop, banana. Reason being you cant work the clinch and knees on the banana bag very well.

the way saiyok is working this bag, cannot be done on a banana bag.

I also dont like how the majority of the gyms here in the US have the bags lined up against a wall, or very close to each other single file. when this happens, you dont have much room to work the bag, and again, cannot work the bag the way saiyok is in that video, cutting angles, moving around the bag etc. now im sure there are some gyms setup differently both here and in thailand, but generally speaking.

typical america setup
bag-area-lg1.png

typical thai setup
sinbi-004.jpg

saw another thread about bags, and I thought I would create this one. Whats the deal with america and the banana bags or you hear them called muay thai bags. at most thai gyms, they generally dont have banana bags, or they may have a couple, but the majority of the bags are the standard or tear drop bags, However in America, almost all muay thai or mma gyms have nothing but the banana bags. now all the bags have different uses and benefits. but generally speaking I think that the standard bags are better than the banana bags, so my order of preference would go, standard, tear drop, banana. Reason being you cant work the clinch and knees on the banana bag very well.

the way saiyok is working this bag, cannot be done on a banana bag.

I also dont like how the majority of the gyms here in the US have the bags lined up against a wall, or very close to each other single file. when this happens, you dont have much room to work the bag, and again, cannot work the bag the way saiyok is in that video, cutting angles, moving around the bag etc. now im sure there are some gyms setup differently both here and in thailand, but generally speaking.

typical america setup
bag-area-lg1.png

typical thai setup
sinbi-004.jpg

It was a Thai joke on Farang, something about banana tree's......

Sadly my current gym does this, a wall of all banana bags right next to eachother and one wall mounted uppercut bag. I completely miss the set up of my old gym that had a wide variety and ample spacing between them all.

I blame it on the gyms in my area not catering to one specific style and instead falling into the "MMA" style school so you never have the optimal equipment for your specific displine but instead have what you need to just get by.

What area are you from @shincheckin ?

Sadly my current gym does this, a wall of all banana bags right next to eachother and one wall mounted uppercut bag. I completely miss the set up of my old gym that had a wide variety and ample spacing between them all.

I blame it on the gyms in my area not catering to one specific style and instead falling into the "MMA" style school so you never have the optimal equipment for your specific displine but instead have what you need to just get by.

What area are you from @shincheckin ?

im in socal in the IE.

I mean, theres nothing wrong with a banana bag, they have their uses etc, its great to have many different bags though rather than just 1 kind.

And how they set them up is super lame, like you said in a single file with no room to work the bags, this is geared at "cardio classes" rather than fighting.

its such a strange thing because you only see this in muay thai and mma gyms, "real" boxing gyms still set their bags up properly.

Because gyms here in the US aren't as big as the ones in Thailand.

Muay-thai-gym.jpg

And they don't even have walls to begin with. But it's the same thing. You can't circle around those bags.
Even in that video, there's 4 bags in close proximity to each other. If all 4 was in use, they wouldn't be able to circle much either.

But that tapout gym is just terrible. You can tell it's a boxercise class and sadly those are the most popular and I'm sure every single one of those bags get used up. So they really do need all those bags and again gym size might be smaller.

Thai gyms they train more like a circuit. You have a group doing bag work, while another group doing drills with instructor etc. So they don't need as many bags and again they usually have a much bigger gym.

As for banana bags, well the gyms I been to can only fit so many, so I guess it make sense to only get banana. You can low kick them. You can do everything with them.

If it's a big fighting gym like Thailand, then it should have some variety of bags. But most gyms of that size are boxercise gyms like that tapout gym.

I definitely prefer practicing teeps on a standard bag, if it's high enough where the bottom of the bag is around where your opponents teep zone is then it's nice to be able to teep it everytime it swings back to you. Can't really get as good of an effect on a banana bag.

Because gyms here in the US aren't as big as the ones in Thailand.

Muay-thai-gym.jpg

And they don't even have walls to begin with. But it's the same thing. You can't circle around those bags.
Even in that video, there's 4 bags in close proximity to each other. If all 4 was in use, they wouldn't be able to circle much either.

But that tapout gym is just terrible. You can tell it's a boxercise class and sadly those are the most popular and I'm sure every single one of those bags get used up. So they really do need all those bags and again gym size might be smaller.

Thai gyms they train more like a circuit. You have a group doing bag work, while another group doing drills with instructor etc. So they don't need as many bags and again they usually have a much bigger gym.

As for banana bags, well the gyms I been to can only fit so many, so I guess it make sense to only get banana. You can low kick them. You can do everything with them.

If it's a big fighting gym like Thailand, then it should have some variety of bags. But most gyms of that size are boxercise gyms like that tapout gym.

FROM MY FIRST POST:
now im sure there are some gyms setup differently both here and in thailand, but generally speaking.

I knew someone was going to post a pic like you did of a thai gym setup that way lol. I didnt think I was going to have to point that out in my first post, but, you proved me wrong lol. Like I said you can find both setups in both places, but generally the thais have it setup properly, and america has them setup for boxercise.

Yes you can find some American gyms set up the "thai" way. And some Thai gyms setup the "american" way like the pic you posted.................but generally speaking, most american gyms have banana bags single file, and most thai gyms are setup the way I mentioned.

I would disagree about the size also. The majority of the gyms here in the US are usually in large warehouses. 2 of my local gyms are 20,000 sq ft facilities, setup the same way. single file banana bags.

I would disagree with you about banana bags, and being able to do everything with them. You really cant work clinch and knees on them well. You cannot work a banana bag like Saiyok is working the standard bag, which is the proper way to work a bag. IMO a standard bag is better than the banana bag. the only thing you cant do is low kick it, but being able to clinch, knee, and the movement it provides make up for that. This is why at most Thai gyms you will find primarily just standard bags, or primarily standard bags with a few banana bags.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
What's the benefit to hitting the tires? Seen them but never actually seen someone using it that I can recall. Being the glove whore that I am I'm not sure I would use them for punches, but maybe you guys can educate me.

What's the benefit to hitting the tires? Seen them but never actually seen someone using it that I can recall. Being the glove whore that I am I'm not sure I would use them for punches, but maybe you guys can educate me.

I really have no idea. I think its just a cheap way to make a bag with left over materials. I have never been to thailand so what do i know haha <45>. I know I wouldnt want to ruin a brand new pair of gloves punching tires though.

I've hurt my wrist on tires, but my old tires (which I hung) also had very stiff sidewalls. I'll agree that tires are generally reserved for...frugality. I hope to end up with an actual bag in the future, as I don't even like working with the tire-bag I have now.

What is the better bag..fairtex hb3 or angled bag(also from fairtex) and which one help to devoloping power? And THX

I like kicking tear drop bags because of the movement, banana bags are good to kick if I don’t want the bag moving a bunch

I like kicking tear drop bags because of the movement, banana bags are good to kick if I don’t want the bag moving a bunch
But i think that traditional bags 3-4 ft are all around bags(home use)

But i think that traditional bags 3-4 ft are all around bags(home use)
Gym I go to doesn’t have regular ones unfortunately, they have banana bags all the way to the floor and a couple other types of bags

Gym I go to doesn’t have regular ones unfortunately, they have banana bags all the way to the floor and a couple other types of bags
Amercan are think that banana bags are the original thai bags..in fact it isnt but if you walk around thai camps you will see the rest of the bags are classic bags with few bananas (and other types)

Guys I will post this here to avoid creating a new thread for now. If I was to build a bag stand for a heavy 6ft bag how high would I want the post out the ground and how far out for the hanging arm to come?

Guys I will post this here to avoid creating a new thread for now. If I was to build a bag stand for a heavy 6ft bag how high would I want the post out the ground and how far out for the hanging arm to come?

The Outslayer heavy bag stand is 7.8 feet tall.

As for the distance from the pole, i would say 3 feet max imo.

Back