Ban all weight cutting period via same day weigh ins.

Your weight is submitted weekly to the UFC and whenever USADA tests you. Whatever this number is the weight you will fight at period, no exceptions. If you lose or gain weight via diet, then you can change weight classes, but dehydration would be banned 100%. Fights are made based upon the current ranges. 136-146, 146-156, etc. At this point, everybody cuts weight and it only hurts the fighters performances.

Instead of rewarding fighters who dehydrate themselves to near death, the weight class structures should reward the fighters who stay lean and in-shape year round. Get too big and you are forced to move up. The fighters who manage their weight properly should be rewarded with better performances. We should see the best fight the best, not who can cut the most weight without killing themselves. There is no reason why Max should be fighting Frankie, or Cejudo fighting Moraes, etc.

Most fighters would be fighting the same pool of fighters, and the outliers would be reshuffled to their proper weight class.

Anyone who says cutting weight has zero effect on their performance are just lying to themselves. We have seen numerous examples who fighters moving up and looking much better even if they have to fight bigger fighters. Imagine the performances if they didn't have to cut weight.

Wayyyyyy too much work...imagine having to manage and entire roster of fighters weights through out the year then again come fight time..

Easier solution which ive pitched on here several times...

Two weigh ins..

Offcial weigh ins day before like normal

Then day of weigh ins 4 hours before the event is to start, fighters must not weigh more then 10lbs of there official weigh in weight..

Example

Colby and Kamaru weight 70lbs at the official weigh in... Neither competitor can be over 180lbs 4 hours before the event starts.

If so the bout is over and the offending fighters purse is given to the opponent if the opponent makes both weigh ins..

2 misses and a fighter is auto moved to the weight class above..another miss after that and they are cut for unprofessionalism

Simple problem solved

Your weight is submitted weekly to the UFC and whenever USADA tests you. Whatever this number is the weight you will fight at period, no exceptions. If you lose or gain weight via diet, then you can change weight classes, but dehydration would be banned 100%. Fights are made based upon the current ranges. 136-146, 146-156, etc. At this point, everybody cuts weight and it only hurts the fighters performances.

Instead of rewarding fighters who dehydrate themselves to near death, the weight class structures should reward the fighters who stay lean and in-shape year round. Get too big and you are forced to move up. The fighters who manage their weight properly should be rewarded with better performances. We should see the best fight the best, not who can cut the most weight without killing themselves. There is no reason why Max should be fighting Frankie, or Cejudo fighting Moraes, etc.

Most fighters would be fighting the same pool of fighters, and the outliers would be reshuffled to their proper weight class.

Anyone who says cutting weight has zero effect on their performance are just lying to themselves. We have seen numerous examples who fighters moving up and looking much better even if they have to fight bigger fighters. Imagine the performances if they didn't have to cut weight.
There are several smaller promotions that do same day weigh ins, and fighters still cut weight.

So your solution for weight cutting, isn't one.

They would still cut weight, the only losers would be us because they would be fighting seriously handicapped.
Actually weight cutting handicaps fighters. For decades, coaches have convinced grapplers and fighters that they can improve their odds if they fight at lower weight classes, by cutting weight at the last minute. Essentially the theory is "fight guys smaller than you by using the loophole of weight cutting". In the end, they guys ruin their bodies.

Wayyyyyy too much work...imagine having to manage and entire roster of fighters weights through out the year then again come fight time..

Easier solution which ive pitched on here several times...

Two weigh ins..

Offcial weigh ins day before like normal

Then day of weigh ins 4 hours before the event is to start, fighters must not weigh more then 10lbs of there official weigh in weight..

Example

Colby and Kamaru weight 70lbs at the official weigh in... Neither competitor can be over 180lbs 4 hours before the event starts.

If so the bout is over and the offending fighters purse is given to the opponent if the opponent makes both weigh ins..

2 misses and a fighter is auto moved to the weight class above..another miss after that and they are cut for unprofessionalism

Simple problem solved
Sounds like fighters rehydrating using a scale so they dont go over, still fighting dehydrated.

Sounds like fighters rehydrating using a scale so they dont go over, still fighting dehydrated.

But you wont have monster cutters anymore which is the danger..

10lbs of water weight isnt bad or as bad as some of the cuts happening now...

It will persuade people from cutting alot period as they will now have to maintain weight for a longer period...why stress your body the day of the fight trying to stay below the 10 pound limit..when you could just build your camp around being as close to your weight division as possible...

For example..leave camp being 175lbs for a 170lbs fight...you dont have shit to worry about come fight day weight wise..only guys weighing 190 end of camp will have to worry day of the fight..

I personally dont think weight cutting works as well on MMA as other combat sports..so i dont believe in weight cuts that much..when i do my first fight i plan to cut like 5 pounds max..i think if my opponent is relying solely on there weight cut to beat me theyve already lost..

Back