Ban all weight cutting period via same day weigh ins.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Legendary, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Kvothe_the_kingkiller

Kvothe_the_kingkiller Brown Belt

Would you trust their weight cut changes if they were more transparent? Generally speaking, are they quality or shit, if actually implemented?

Also, I've heard you say in the past that hydration tests are easy to beat - is that true or did I misconstrue? And if so, what does US Wrestling do to successfully rely on them?

2. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Black Belt

This is retarded.

This is how you have fighters die by them cutting EVEN MORE WEIGHT because they have a week to rehydrate.

Lint likes this.
  3. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Black Belt

Stopping extreme weight cutting is super easy.

1) Weigh-ins continue as normal.

2) Weigh fighters walking into the cage. The weights are not revealed until after the fight, so no matter what the fight goes on.

3) If a fighter is more than 10% above their weight class limit (i.e. 155 + 15.5 = 170.5 pounds limit) they get fined 20% of their total earnings including bonuses which gets paid to their opponents. They get warned for their 1st offense. 2nd offense within a 5 year period is a 6 month suspension. 3rd+ offense within 5 years is a 1 year suspension.

Any champion that is more than this 10% weight limit in the cage gets stripped immediately. Boom. You've fixed weight cutting. Most fighters will now aim to be ~7.5% above the limit to avoid flirting with the 10% penalty cutoff.

4. Jean-Claude_Bloodsport

Jean-Claude_Bloodsport Green Belt

Khabib at 170 would get his ass whooped

5. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

actually having weigh-ins in public would be a start. But when you see instances like Colbey, and you see Sage say hes going back to 155 its pretty clear that the ONE rules are not evenly applied. Its a sham

Just like Chatri's claim of "wada drug testing" that forced WADA themselves to come out and say it was bullshit.

6. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

trouble there is you get fighters re-cutting for the fight and ensuring they stay below the 10% (and so fighting drained or not at full performance)

Mike and GBJohn like this.
  7. Azure

Azure Sherdogology PhD.

Not really because the 170lb guys would be at 185 lbs

8. Jean-Claude_Bloodsport

Jean-Claude_Bloodsport Green Belt

Colby would still be 170 and would rape

9. GBJohn

GBJohn Green Belt

I just realized, with kids named Colbey and Sage, Mr. and Mrs. Northcutt must really have had a thing for food and/or cooking.

10. Danis_champ

Danis_champ Brown Belt

This would work but 10% is too much. I's say you can be 5 lbs over weight. 150 lbs vs 170?

With belts it gets tricky tho.

11. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Black Belt

Actually I think the belts are the simplest part and the most important.

The fight goes on without knowing weight, and if you're over the 5-10% limit, then you get stripped and your title defense/win doesn't count. You still get credit for the win on your record, but not the title defense.

It's a harsh punishment, but it will remind everyone that they need to cut less than a certain % of bodyweight.

12. Towerworld

Towerworld Purple Belt

Not smart, most fights would suck and half of the top fighters would go over to bellator.

Some would also die from fighting completely dehydrated and MMA would be banned in many countries and states in the US in addition to the UFC losing 10,000s of thousands of fans.

13. Andreh

Andreh Brown Belt

What's the problem in maintaining your weight? With all respect, doesn't make any sense.

14. Towerworld

Towerworld Purple Belt

Fighters should maintain their weight i agree they just won’t no matter what you do.

One’s policy is the best where they weigh a fighters lean body mass and assign them to a weight class.

Mike likes this.
  15. leto1776

leto1776 Sherdog Wet Shaver Platinum Member

Many fighters in ONE are walking around well above fight weight.

El Fernas likes this.
  16. neomage2021

neomage2021 Silver Belt

It doesnt seem like they actually do it for some of their fighters. YOu can plainly see some of them are way bigger out of a fight and obviously are cutting weight

17. El Fernas

El Fernas Red Belt

From her message it doesnt seem like she is cutting weight, she is dropping mass to make weight during her camp, i meant a "fight ready" walking weight i guess where they dont cut the usual amounts other orgs fighters do, but a small cut that doesnt dehydrate them a whole lot.

His last fight was at 185, WW in ONE FC.

18. MMAfanboy4life

MMAfanboy4life Blue Belt

Keeping a log of fighter’s training weight could work, but same day weigh ins could be dangerous. You would most certainly still have knuckleheads cutting drastic amounts of weight the night before the fight, and use the few hours between the weigh in and fight to bulk up as much as possible.

That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

19. Regal Boy

Regal Boy Green Belt

Step 1: Test the hydration level of the fighter. They need to be fully hydrated, or they lose, and their opponent gets all their money.

Step 2: give all the fighters a liter of water, force them to drink it while everyone watches, wait an hour or so.

Step 3: have them piss in a cup in front of everyone, make sure they're fully hydrated from the liter

Step 4: weigh them, make sure they make weight.

Very simple, isn't time consuming, and inexpensive. I also don't agree with renaming the divisions. The names are fine, they correspond to the distribution of men's weight and it makes sense. We'd pretty much keep where the weight-classes are and change the weight classes by 8% body weight to get:

135 pounds and under: Bantamweight
    135.1 to 145.8 - Featherweight
    145.9 to 157.5 - Lightweight
    157.6 to 170 - Welterweight
    170.1 to 183.6 - Middleweight
    183.7 to 198.3 - Light Heavyweight
    198.4 to 214 - Cruiserweight
    214.1 and over with no upper limit - Heavyweight

Then all these guys who are now fighting at "lightweight" but who walk around at like fucking 180 pounds would be middle weights, which makes sense, because they are AVERAGE MEN so they should be the MIDDLE WEIGHT, the one in the middle, the average, the center, blah blah. It makes no sense to say that men who are normal are "light" and men who are actually much bigger than the average guy at like 210 pounds are "Middleweights". The current middleweights who cut down to 185 from like 210 pounds and shit would be Cruiserweights, welterweight and middleweight become the most populated weight classes (as they SHOULD BE) with lightweight and and light heavyweight being close seconds (as they should be) and all is zen.

aichokyu likes this.
  20. aichokyu

aichokyu Black Belt

I don't believe that, I heard that a 1000 times and I think it's false.
    once a few dehydrated guys who cut lose against a smaller guy who's fresh and not dehydrated, they will stop cutting.