Baltimore MD area

BNC

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey I searched a few threads and they all seemed to be pretty old.

I am trying to start training in Baltimore Maryland and was hoping that any of you guys in the area can recommend gyms you have trained at and post about your experiences there (instructors/curriculum) I am interested in taking jiujitsu class as well as judo and would like opinions on what schools I should consider as well as your opinion and experience there.

Thanks!

http://www.baltimorebjj.com/#intro-1

great group of guys, laid back but serious environment. cant beat the rates for the area. would definitely check it out before locking in something anywhere else

commute can play into your decision, depends what part of baltimore

there is ground control, crazy88, conquest, baltimore bjj
im sure there are more

I saw a website for team Maryland in Towson I think they do bjj and judo. I will definitely visit 88 and baltimore bjj have heard good things about both

I train at Baltimore bjj and I will try to be as unbiased as possible.

First, are you in Baltimore proper? People say they are moving to Baltimore and are in Cockeysville, Towson, Parkville, etc....

There are quite a few schools depending where you are. If you are in the actual city, My gym, Ground Control(the main one), Conquest and Gracie jj Baltimore are anywhere from 5-20 minutes away. Crazy 88's main academy is in Elkridge, which is about 25-30 minutes depending on traffic.

Baltimore BJJ is a great place to train. Lots of different belt colors, two mat areas, a rock wall(seriously) and other fun things. Hard training with a bunch of awesome people. Team Balance affiliate

Ground Control is run by John Rallo. He had a big hand in legalizing MMA in Maryland and is a Renzo Gracie black belt. Another good group of guys, though the main school isn't know for competing as much as the affiliate schools(Owings Mills, Harford county and Columbia). I know the Columbia school is run by an Alliance black belt, Joao Paulo.

Conquest is run by two Vicente Jr black belts, Lance and Kail. Nice space, solid competitors and a good group of dudes(running theme in the area). In Millersville, so again, depending on where you are, it could be a quick trip.

The Gracie school is run by a purple belt who used to train with us and is right by Orioles stadium. They do the Gracie stuff and regular training. Nick is a good guy and I believe a Judo brown belt.

Crazy 88 is a Team Lloyd Irvin affiliate. I'm not going to go into the whole scandal ordeal, that is for you to decide. Run by black belt Julius Park and has a bunch of studs there like Tim Spriggs and Tye Ryan. Solid school.Haven't had personal interactions with the guys there, so I can't comment on how they are as people(good or bad).

Those are the main ones that are popping out to me at the moment that I have info on but there are a bunch more. I suggest trying every place and see how you like them. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Have fun with your search.

I train at Baltimore bjj and I will try to be as unbiased as possible.

First, are you in Baltimore proper? People say they are moving to Baltimore and are in Cockeysville, Towson, Parkville, etc....

There are quite a few schools depending where you are. If you are in the actual city, My gym, Ground Control(the main one), Conquest and Gracie jj Baltimore are anywhere from 5-20 minutes away. Crazy 88's main academy is in Elkridge, which is about 25-30 minutes depending on traffic.

Baltimore BJJ is a great place to train. Lots of different belt colors, two mat areas, a rock wall(seriously) and other fun things. Hard training with a bunch of awesome people. Team Balance affiliate

Ground Control is run by John Rallo. He had a big hand in legalizing MMA in Maryland and is a Renzo Gracie black belt. Another good group of guys, though the main school isn't know for competing as much as the affiliate schools(Owings Mills, Harford county and Columbia). I know the Columbia school is run by an Alliance black belt, Joao Paulo.

Conquest is run by two Vicente Jr black belts, Lance and Kail. Nice space, solid competitors and a good group of dudes(running theme in the area). In Millersville, so again, depending on where you are, it could be a quick trip.

The Gracie school is run by a purple belt who used to train with us and is right by Orioles stadium. They do the Gracie stuff and regular training. Nick is a good guy and I believe a Judo brown belt.

Crazy 88 is a Team Lloyd Irvin affiliate. I'm not going to go into the whole scandal ordeal, that is for you to decide. Run by black belt Julius Park and has a bunch of studs there like Tim Spriggs and Tye Ryan. Solid school.Haven't had personal interactions with the guys there, so I can't comment on how they are as people(good or bad).

Those are the main ones that are popping out to me at the moment that I have info on but there are a bunch more. I suggest trying every place and see how you like them. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Have fun with your search.

I am right outside the city I don't have a problem commuting to any school I just want to go to wherever would have the best program there are so many clubs though!

What do you mean the Lloyd Irvin scandal?
Edit: I will google it

I train at Ground Control and love it. Great mix of people, and great instruction. They also have a phenomenal wrestling coach.

Wow the Lloyd irvin thing is crazy

Wow the Lloyd irvin thing is crazy

In all fairness, not one guys from that particular school has been accused of a crime.
I believe they have 4 competitors that have medalled at Worlds and quite a few others that a really accomplished.

Is john Irwin still teaching at any of the ground control gyms?

I train at Maryland Jiu-Jitsu and Judo academy in Towson. Head instructor is Stuart Ramos a Relson Gracie black belt and a 4th degree black belt in Judo under olympic silver medalist Jason Morris.

Gym is very laid back and family oriented. Worth giving a look especially if you're interested in bjj and judo.

http://www.teammarylandbjj.com/

If you are interested in Judo as well, I don't think you will find a better instructor than Stu at Maryland Judo & Jiu-Jitsu Academy. He is a 4th degree black belt in Judo, a BJJ black belt under Relson Gracie, and simply is an awesome guy and a great instructor. http://www.teammarylandbjj.com/towson-jiu-jitsu/school/instructors/

Having said that, there are a TON of good BJJ schools in the area. But if you want both, you probably won't find a better place than with Stu.

If you are interested in Judo as well, I don't think you will find a better instructor than Stu at Maryland Judo & Jiu-Jitsu Academy. He is a 4th degree black belt in Judo, a BJJ black belt under Relson Gracie, and simply is an awesome guy and a great instructor. http://www.teammarylandbjj.com/towson-jiu-jitsu/school/instructors/

Having said that, there are a TON of good BJJ schools in the area. But if you want both, you probably won't find a better place than with Stu.

Do you train there as well? If so I'm sure we know each other.

Do you train there as well? If so I'm sure we know each other.

No, I train in Harrisburg, PA but I have stopped down to your place to train before and I know Stu from various tournaments and seminars etc.

Back