Ball players - Do you look at the rim or the ball, on your release?

Roger FedorAIR

It ain't easy being white
Reaction score
I'm at this family picnic today, and my girl's little cousin (14 yo) is shooting absolutely fucking LIGHTS OUT from 3. I'm talking 10 or 12 shots in a row before a miss.

I kept losing to this kid in every game of knockout, and of course I feel like a complete can. Then the kid starts schooling me on why I need to be looking up at the ball on my release, and not the rim. I practiced doing it for a little bit, and at times it felt like I was getting the hang of it, but for the most part, it made me shoot all airballs.

I recalled how in HS, one of my best friends (and best 3 baller on our team) shot looking up at the ball, but I never even discovered it until in college, when I realized that he was single handedly winning beirut tournaments, irregardless of how bad his partner was. Wanting to know how, I asked him, and he told me that he always look at the ball, never the target. He told me you look at the cup (or rim) to pick a trajectory, and then when you're ready to release, look at the ball to throw it into that trajectory (instead of the typical look at the target and throw it at the target).

I tried it, at both, bball and beirut, and I basically couldn't do it.

Anyways, I've been trying to practice since I got home, and even now that I'm on my couch, I haven't been able to stop thinking about this. So I wanted to ask the forum about where they look when they release:

A) Do you look at ball or rim?

B) Do you have any friends that look at the ball on release, and are they exponentially better shooters than everyone else?

C) For those of you that look at the ball, were you taught that way? Or did it come to you naturally?

I'm starting to wonder if one method is superior to the other, and if/when I have a son, if I should consider teaching it to him that way...

I'm a glass guy, so I'm looking at the box if there is one. LOL

Personally I look at the tits when I release, or make eye contact if I'm feeling gentlemanly.

But really, if you're in line with the rim, you could close your eyes and hit 3's. It's all about form.

LOL, I guess I shouldn't expect to get too many serious responses...

But I was doing some googling and came across this: http://www.truthaboutit.net/2013/03...you-look-when-the-shot-leaves-your-hands.html

Basically it recounts how at All-Star weekend 2012, Kevin Love talked about how he looked at the ball when he releases, and then Andre Iguodala went around asking a bunch of the other All-Stars where they look when they release, and they all said rim. Then back in studio, Steve Kerr and Reggie Miller both said that they look at the ball, and obviously, both of those guys are lights out shooters...

The rim. That is the right answer. Any decent nba shooter looks at the target. The only question is front or back of the rim.

Banking granny shots all day everyday.

barry_photo1_main.jpg

Rick Barry says hello.

It's all a matter of preference and what feels right for you. I started when I was younger following the ball but now I just look at the rim. Following the ball is easy if you're just catching and shooting or working on free throws but when you're in transition it's a bit easier to pay attention to the rim. Doubt my reply helps, but oh we'll. Get Buckets.

The rim. That is the right answer. Any decent nba shooter looks at the target. The only question is front or back of the rim.

Reggie Miller, Steve Kerr, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Love...

Clearly not decent NBA shooters. :rolleyes:

The rim, while ball is in hand. As it is released, I kind of see the whole. The ball and the rim. But I'll follow the ball, more than the rim. I used to be pretty decent at free throws with my eyes closed.

But really, if you're in line with the rim, you could close your eyes and hit 3's. It's all about form.

Yes. Same release everytime. Eyes closed. Buckets. Some look at their finger tips pointing down tickling the top of the box. Shoot with an arc that goes above the glass. The ball should be hitting the back iron or close to it.

P.s. Middle schoolers post me up at the YMCA all day. Sucks being old lol.

Reggie Miller, Steve Kerr, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash, Kevin Love...

Clearly not decent NBA shooters. :rolleyes:

I have never heard of that before and im a fairly accomplished player, went to camps, aau, etc. if they can do that good for them, but that is surprising and cant be an ideal option

Both, if that makes sense. Track the rim to make sure you're squared up and all that jazz but look at the ball to make sure you're form is on point.

I'm not a great shooter but when I'm on that's usually what I end up doing. When I'm doing just one or the other, I tend to suck...more.

I stare down has-beens like Lebron does.

u mad?

I have never heard of that before and im a fairly accomplished player, went to camps, aau, etc. if they can do that good for them, but that is surprising and cant be an ideal option

Just because you've never heard of something before, doesn't mean you immediately reject it and claim what you know, as fact.

I had never heard of it until college, despite playing countless hours upon hours playing alongside someone that uses the technique.

Andre Iguodala had never heard of it until he was 28, despite having played basketball at the highest level, his entire life.

Don't shit on something just because you don't understand it.

Whatever works best for you is the right answer. Try everything until you feel in complete control, and the highest rate of success is the best answer.

The rim. I don't get how you could shoot if you're looking at the ball. You have to be able to judge where/how far to shoot.

Back