Balancing conditioning and strength training?

You should also consider what kind of strength gains are right for your needs.

You may find some conditioning type workouts can provide you with enough resistance to provide to meet your strength needs and yield conditioning benefits at the same time. A single exercise example of this would be kettle bell swings.

If you don't need a 450 lb dead lift, why bother to train for it? In MT, it's likely that you don't.

In addition to what miaou said, you could use the wendler 5/3/1, the christy 5/3/1, timed total tonnage, EDT, GVT (if hypertrophy was the main goal), some sort of simple wave loading using prilepin's table. And so on.
Would something like GVT be good for muscular endurance as well?

Would something like GVT be good for muscular endurance as well?

Well it could improve muscular endurance (depending on what sort of work somebody was already doing towards muscular endurance) although if muscular endurance were the priority GVT wouldn't be my first choice (what the first choice would be would depend on what somebody wanted the muscular endurance for). More like improving muscular endurance could be a bonus side-effect of spending a couple months doing GVT for some added size.

Well it could improve muscular endurance (depending on what sort of work somebody was already doing towards muscular endurance) although if muscular endurance were the priority GVT wouldn't be my first choice (what the first choice would be would depend on what somebody wanted the muscular endurance for). More like improving muscular endurance could be a bonus side-effect of spending a couple months doing GVT for some added size.
Ah, I see. I've been doing some searches now on GVT, including on Charles Poliquin's actual website.

What do people think about that routine? I must admit, the repressed bodybuilder inside me draws me to this a bit, but I am not sure if it would be viable for someone doing a lot of cardio, or if doing 10x10 with 50kgs on bench, for example, would yield anything. Ie. I might be too 'beginner', in the strength department.

What I couldn't find is where your lifts should be at, if there's a point doing GVT.

You should also consider what kind of strength gains are right for your needs.

You may find some conditioning type workouts can provide you with enough resistance to provide to meet your strength needs and yield conditioning benefits at the same time. A single exercise example of this would be kettle bell swings.

If you don't need a 450 lb dead lift, why bother to train for it? In MT, it's likely that you don't.

Granted, strength should play a backseat role to skills training and conditioning; however, being strong is certainly a valuable attribute in MT, or any other martial art for that matter.

Back