Balancing BJJ and a career

I haven't seen this fly in the ointment yet:
Most white collar jobs are going to try to find out what you do when you're not there, not malicious snooping just natural conversation flow. You can try to be ambiguous, but eventually it will come out. Now here's the shitty part; most of the people under 30 get it, you have a hobby, it's active and it has risks, it helps define who you are and it is enriching, but the people over 30 (the ones with all the power), for the most part, do NOT get it, they think it's a brutish behavior and a liability to the company. Any absence because you needed to get an injury checked out, any facial abrasions, cauliflower ear, black eyes, etc will be noted by these >30ers. Companies hate absences, but the fact that we do something that most people don't understand, and even worse that the older, higher ups don't respect/disdain adds inertia to your career. Here's some bullshit I've heard at corporate jobs over the years:

WAAAAAAAAA! I am 39, 40 next month and I don't feel I fit this mold. I am a district manager with 7, soon to b 9 locations and I don't worry about my employees hobbies. Only that they show up at work. BJJ or not, I cannot have someone out for extended periods due to business, it has no affect if it was a BJJ accident or a knitting accident.

If you are saying that "managers" dont like people who call out, you are right. Why would they? As for facial damage etc... Thats not a terrible thing if it is random and infrequent. I operate a retail setting and I am not sure I want my guys looking like bar brawlers or my ladies looking like Domestic violence victims. It's called looking professional, if your profession='s getting beaten up, so be it. Would you expect to be hired in the 1st place if you limped into the interview and looked like your face was hit with a frying pan?

People get hurt doing all kinds of things, I would not hold it against an employee for having had an accident. But then I have grappled for some time and rarely do I have numerous and long lasting visible damage. I dont see why others would.

In fact I think if I had an applicant with BJJ/Judo/Wrestling I might look at them harder than the average applicant because I understand the work it takes to do those sports.

WAAAAAAAAA! I am 39, 40 next month and I don't feel I fit this mold. I am a district manager with 7, soon to b 9 locations and I don't worry about my employees hobbies. Only that they show up at work. BJJ or not, I cannot have someone out for extended periods due to business, it has no affect if it was a BJJ accident or a knitting accident.

If you are saying that "managers" dont like people who call out, you are right. Why would they? As for facial damage etc... Thats not a terrible thing if it is random and infrequent. I operate a retail setting and I am not sure I want my guys looking like bar brawlers or my ladies looking like Domestic violence victims. It's called looking professional, it your profession='s getting beaten up, so be it.

People get hurt doing all kinds of things, I would not hold it against an employee for having had an accident. But then I have grappled for some time and rarely do I have numerous and long lasting visible damage. I dont see why others would.

In fact I think if I had an applicant with BJJ/Judo/Wrestling I might look at them harder than the average applicant because I understand the work it takes to do those sports.

EDIT: Not sure if "Waaa..." is "WHAT" (indicating profound disbelief that people behave in the manner I described) or "Waaahhh!" (indicating you think me a cry baby) regardless I'll keep the below.

Perhaps I was using a bit of hyperbole, but my personal experiences have been very sour when people find out about BJJ in the work place, it was merely food for thought. I never intended my post of come across as ALL managers do it, but some do and it's good to keep it in the back of your mind.

^^^
As I have said in other threads, why don't just say you do judo ? It's socially acceptable and the average white collar won't give you shit about it.

^^^
As I have said in other threads, why don't just say you do judo ? It's socially acceptable and the average white collar won't give you shit about it.

I still haven't learned to lie on the fly. This is NOT a swipe or me presuming a moral high ground, it's just that when I get hit w/ a question the truth gets out before I rein it in more often than not.

I could tell you some funny stories with ex-girlfriends lol.

Here's some bullshit I've heard at corporate jobs over the years:

"I bet you wanted to body slam me at that meeting huh" - A former manager who dogged me at a meeting in front of several departments only to find out later he was completely wrong, that was his apology.

"So like, you could probably break all of our necks" - A former co-worker who assumed that BJJ as a hobby = Steven Segal assassin type crap.

People are animals, we establish pecking order. If people who think they are superior to you feel threatened by you they will say whatever bullshit they have to just to put you in your place. The corporate world is no different. It's just more passive-aggressive because everyone's supposed to be "professional" but it's still just the same thing as dogs sniffing each others' asses. Only the dogs are wearing ties and drinking way too much coffee.

All this talk of corporate management disliking an employee for doing combat sports is a rather broad stereotype. I work for a huge corporation and my manager and director know I do BJJ and I compete. They are always intrigued when it comes up in conversation and have always been helpful in giving me time off for competitions. I have had periods where they have even allowed me to alter my schedule to work around BJJ training, including getting a 2 hour lunch break so I could train during the day when I was working late hours and unable to make it to any night classes. I think its really dependent on the individuals you work with. Not every person over 30 is gonna treat you like a bar brawler just because you train and compete in a martial art.

EDIT: Not sure if "Waaa..." is "WHAT" (indicating profound disbelief that people behave in the manner I described) or "Waaahhh!" (indicating you think me a cry baby) regardless I'll keep the below.

going out on a limb here, and I don't presume to speak for knox, but I'm guessing it's the former. sounds like you've had some bad luck. very presumptuous for some vp douchebag to think he can tell you what the hell to do with your life. pretty sure I'd have given him that "go fuck yourself" look.

:icon_conf

I'll leave Fowler out of it, but as for Hall...

What?

2009 Abu Dhabi World Championships <65.9kg Bronze Medallist
2007 Abu Dhabi World Championships Alternate Match Champion
2009 Abu Dhabi North American West Coast Trials Professional Lightweight Champion
2009 CBJJ Mundial Bronze Medalist
2008 CBJJ Mundial Champion
2007 CBJJ No-Gi Mundial Champion
2008 CBJJ European Champion
2008 CBJJ Brasiliero Bronze Medalist
2007 US Open Champion
12x Professional Superfight Champion (NAGA, NeverTap, US Grappling, et al)
#1 RATED Competitor Overall Nationwide for 2006
#1 RATED Advanced Submission Grappler Nationwide for 2006
#1 RATED Purple Belt Competitor Nationwide for 2006
#1 RATED Blue Belt Competitor Nationwide for 2005
Many times Grapplers Quest, NAGA, U.S. Grappling, Mission Submission Advanced Division Champion
Many times Grapplers Quest, NAGA, US Grappling Advanced Absolute (open weight) Division Champion

Also in his first year at black belt he lost to the eventual champ by....4 points I think it was?

Cut the guy some slack, I have no doubt in my mind Hall's gonna be a world champ one day at black belt.

Technically all he said was that Ryan Hall isn't a BB world champ, and your post didn't disprove that.

To the TS, focus on school, train whenever you can. You will not only have to devote your life to training to be a world class competitor, but also have several personal attributes and be a special talent. It's not one of those things that you set your mind to and just do it, that doesn't always work. What rank are you? Have you competed much?

I work 50hrs a week, I'm a federal law enforcement officer, I juggle 2 sometimes 1 night a week in class and try to make it to open mat in the mornings as often as possible just to try to get as much mat time as possible...

It is EXTREMELY hard, lucky for me, I have a very understanding future wife:)

Technically all he said was that Ryan Hall isn't a BB world champ, and your post didn't disprove that.

Technically, he said ryan didn't win worlds, no mention of rank, which is untrue. And he said very possibly never will strongly suggesting he thinks ryan isn't capable of doing so. I have a different opinion and showed why I thought that. I wasn't trying to 'disprove' anyone. Technically.

People are animals, we establish pecking order. If people who think they are superior to you feel threatened by you they will say whatever bullshit they have to just to put you in your place. The corporate world is no different. It's just more passive-aggressive because everyone's supposed to be "professional" but it's still just the same thing as dogs sniffing each others' asses. Only the dogs are wearing ties and drinking way too much coffee.

I never thought of it this way, and it makes a lot of sense.

Im starting college this year, im not too sure what i want to do right now, but i know i want to compete in bjj at high levels im just afraid whatever i choose might not give me the time i need to train and compete, i was just wondering how all you older guys do it? and i was kinda wondering if it is even possible compete in the level of competition guys like marcelo do without just focusing soley on bjj? and another thing, did you guys have to make a choice between your other interests and BJJ? i love music and i think i might want to go somewhere with that, but at the same time im thinking ill have to choose one or the other if i want to excel in either, thanks guys for insight

and ps;; please leave eddie out of this haha

I actually have a little bit different outlook on this than most people would. If your Dream is to compete at the highest level, go for it. If your dream is to perform music, go for that. You've got to know what you want though, and make what you want a reality. People are so afraid to just let go of all the unimportant things in life and go after their dreams. So fixated on money and relationships and cars and this and that, they lose sight of what is real and what isn't. Doing what you love and what makes you happy, that's real. At the end of the day, if you can say you did what you wanted to do and what you loved you can be happy no matter what the circumstances, and chances are if you are making it a priority and dedicating yourself you will go places. I'm dedicating my life to jiu jitsu, and working two part time jobs. I don't give a shit about high status and fancy things. I can afford all the things I want, and l'm dedicated to what I do so it's all good.

Try sitting in solitude for a few days and figuring out what you want to do LOL

The above was just my opinion of course, I'm sure tons of people will disagree, or agree to disagree, or agree, or whatever...

:icon_conf

I'll leave Fowler out of it, but as for Hall...

What?

2009 Abu Dhabi World Championships <65.9kg Bronze Medallist
2007 Abu Dhabi World Championships Alternate Match Champion
2009 Abu Dhabi North American West Coast Trials Professional Lightweight Champion
2009 CBJJ Mundial Bronze Medalist
2008 CBJJ Mundial Champion
2007 CBJJ No-Gi Mundial Champion
2008 CBJJ European Champion
2008 CBJJ Brasiliero Bronze Medalist
2007 US Open Champion
12x Professional Superfight Champion (NAGA, NeverTap, US Grappling, et al)
#1 RATED Competitor Overall Nationwide for 2006
#1 RATED Advanced Submission Grappler Nationwide for 2006
#1 RATED Purple Belt Competitor Nationwide for 2006
#1 RATED Blue Belt Competitor Nationwide for 2005
Many times Grapplers Quest, NAGA, U.S. Grappling, Mission Submission Advanced Division Champion
Many times Grapplers Quest, NAGA, US Grappling Advanced Absolute (open weight) Division Champion

Also in his first year at black belt he lost to the eventual champ by....4 points I think it was?

Cut the guy some slack, I have no doubt in my mind Hall's gonna be a world champ one day at black belt.

I was not clear in my post! I meant to say he never won mundials at the blackbelt level and there is a good chance that he never will even as talented and as much time he puts into it.

Hall is a badass and is better than 98% of the blackbelts out there! I love his game and think he is an awesome grappler.

Having a normal 40 hours a week job/career (like a good 75% of people) allows you to train every day, which is more than enough to compete. Even if you have kids, don't tell me you can't find 3-4 days a week.

I agree that if you work 40 hours a week and are single you can train bjj every day but that is a lifestyle that very few males 18-25 are willing to take. I know when I was at that age I was drinking and partying and chasing woman. When your training 7 days a week you have to say bye to those things.

Think of it like this and I am in this position. Your 35 years old and a father of 2. You work 9-5 mon-friday. You come home eat, shit and relax for a total of 1 hour. Than you head out the door and train bjj from 7-9 pm. You get home by 9:30 your kids are already asleep and your wife is pissed because you have to do this everyday.

When it's your day off from work your body is sore and you need to relax one of the days.

For people with kids and a 40 hour standard work week than training 4 days a week is a blessing. 2-3 times is probably more realistic with this schedule. Firefighters and people working at home do not apply.

I was not clear in my post! I meant to say he never won mundials at the blackbelt level and there is a good chance that he never will even as talented and as much time he puts into it.

Hall is a badass and is better than 98% of the blackbelts out there! I love his game and think he is an awesome grappler.

Ryan Hall is a horrible example to use saying he never won the Mundials at black belt, considering he was only awarded his black belt on April 1, 2010 which means he was black belt for about 2 months when the Mundials came around for him. Losing his 1st Mundials at BB to the eventual winner and him placing bronze puts him as a high candidate to eventually have a great shot at winning in the future.

As for JT, he finally beat Lucas Lepri recently who is a black belt Mundials gold medalist. He may have not won the Mundials yet and may not ever win but it is obviously indicated where his training and hard work has taken him

Ask Hillary she does it/did it.... I think?

with all due respect to Hillary (pats Hillary on the head), she's still in college. Doing a hell of a lot more than most in college, but not balancing a "career" just yet.

sorry, couldn't resist.

You might try just signing up for some general education classes first as they're required in virtually any major. While you knock out some of those courses, get started in your training and see how things go. It's hard to project where the future will take you. By taking things a little at a time, you can gauge where your interests and skill sets lie best.

There are a lot of people who can balance things really well. Others are all or nothing. It's truly a personal journey. That's the beauty of the art. There's room for everyone.

I'm a full time teacher, in grad school, and still find time each week to get on the mats. I've had lapses in training, I've come back. It's why I'm still a white belt after three years. I own that and understand the realities. I'm 33 and have pretty realistic expectations of where I am and what I can do. My only regret is that I didn't know about BJJ when I was in college. I plug away and know I'll get to my goals eventually.

Start slow and see where it takes you. There are so many unknown factors at this stage of the game, that the "analysis paralysis" will drive you nuts.

Just a suggestion of course. :)

Consider every day of good training and good coursework a blessing and take it from there.

Dan

Back