Balancing BJJ and a career

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by tr00f, Aug 24, 2010.

1. tr00f

tr00f White Belt

Im starting college this year, im not too sure what i want to do right now, but i know i want to compete in bjj at high levels im just afraid whatever i choose might not give me the time i need to train and compete, i was just wondering how all you older guys do it? and i was kinda wondering if it is even possible compete in the level of competition guys like marcelo do without just focusing soley on bjj? and another thing, did you guys have to make a choice between your other interests and BJJ? i love music and i think i might want to go somewhere with that, but at the same time im thinking ill have to choose one or the other if i want to excel in either, thanks guys for insight

and ps;; please leave eddie out of this haha

2. Janilane

Janilane Guest

Hell yeah, having problems juggling my time with family, career and MA, i don't compete though, so skipping training is an option for me. But doing BJJ and another art when I only have a very limited time is proving too much, so I'm stopping training with the other MA for now.

3. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

How many times per week can you train? if it is 2-3 times, then compete. you have nothing to lose.

to be at Marcelo level, you will have to quit your job and live on the mats.

4. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

Chris rock has a good distinction between a "job" and a "career" that is worth looking at

If you have a job and you can leave every day at 5 p.m., you might be fine but it's a longshot. Balancing a career, however, is not easy. I go straight to the gym after work once/twice a week and often don't get home until 10:30/11. I check work email, respond, sleep, get up and back to work. I have been training both Saturday and Sunday a lot of weekends, but try pulling that off when you have a wife and kids (I don't). I'm a lawyer and "careers" aren't necessarily this involved, but you need to know what you mean when you say "compete at high levels." If you're talking about pan ams or worlds at purple or brown, you can definitely balance a career. However, if you want to be an elite grappler who competes at blackbelt level at the worlds and ADCC, you will most likely be unable to reach that level while managing a full-time career.

I'd also point out that there are guys who train their entire lives and never approach Marcelo's level.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  5. NateTx4112

NateTx4112 Brown Belt

Focus on school and a career...Planning on competing like Marcelo is like quitting your school/career and planning on being MJ in the NBA.

School and a career you can fall back on, mediocrity in BJJ (even at the BB level) may not support your lifestyle/wife/kids/family/retirement/future.

6. the_Dark Knight

the_Dark Knight Purple Belt

I dont know how many times iI've felt like just giving everything up and working a simple job so I could focus on training. I wish I would have found the sport sooner in life, instead of my 20s when I was in college..i know I wouldve dedicated more of my time to it. But I graduated had a kid now Ima teacher..thats my career, its long hard work, and being a daddy is no walk in the park..so I know my dreams of competing against the Galvaos Jacares and Rogers of the world arent meant to be.
    I look at these documentaries from Brazil and I see those guys training all day, and I read books and they talk about training 2ce a day 5-6 days a wk, and how as a blue their master reccomends them to a big name fighter and they move in an train with them.. and I think to myself.."Why not me?!" but then I shortly realize (i assume) that its a cultural difference. America is all about work work work, education and money. Where as in Brazil (and I dont mean to offend anybody) it doesnt seem they stress so much on these things. I may be wronf to assume this but thats what I observe. So guys just train and roam around care free.

7. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

I work full time and also take one night class as well one day a week. I'm single, at least not married so that does help. It is hard to find a balance of work, school, G/f and family. I try to train at least three days a week. I'll never be a world champ and train 6hrs a day down at allience but I'm ok with that.

8. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

There are LOTS of different types of careers. It really depends. You might do the corporate 40-70hour a week job, maybe you don't. If you are really serious about competing at a high level of BJJ then look at another career option. You could always work for yourself as a web designer, journalist, photographer, etc. or what not and have more flexible days. I own websites and it means I "work" from my laptop. Many people make several thousand dollars per month working a few hours per day building their online business. It might be $2,000 a month, it might be $20,000, it just depends. Some people don't stick with it and make no money.

If you are interested in non-bullshit ways to make money online, check out ViperChill.com and Blogussion.com (sign up for the free course on the sidebar, great beginner point.)

Point is, if you are really serious about making BJJ your life, you can do that.

9. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Exactly, there us competing and then what those guys do.

10. the_Dark Knight

the_Dark Knight Purple Belt

Wow.. your straightforward no nonsense approach to the subject has really inspired me!

11. Wandgun

Wandgun Orange Belt

I have a career and still manage to get to class 3-4 times a week. I'm married, but luckily my gym has an actual gym attached to it and my wife just goes there while I train 3 of the days. I leave work at 5 and get there at 6 for class. It's really not hard for me.

12. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

This seems like what most people do. Can't be a world champion this way, but I don't think I could be a world champion anyway lol

13. sak

sak White Belt

I became an emt so I can work 3 days and train the rest. I get paid bs and am always broke but the time off to train makes up for it.

14. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Wow, solid.

15. hustles

hustles Green Belt

I have a career and I manage to train 5-6 nights a week sometimes for 2-3 hours a night. I am lucky in the fact that I work from home and live about 1 mile from my gym. My gym also has convienent hours. I work mon-fri and leave for the gym the second I get off work mon-thurs and I always train saturday and sunday. Friday is wife night, and again I am lucky that I have a very understanding and supportive wife. She also goes to her gym and does shit like Yoga and Pilates most weeknights so she isn't sitting at home waiting for me. I have no kids, however, once I do I fully expect to have to cut back on my training.

As far as competition, I am just above mediocre. I try to enter a few tournaments each year and am currently doing masters division. I have no illusions of grandeur and would never expect to win a big tournament like the Worlds at the adult level.

To balance a real career along with a competitive BJJ career you have to be in a very fortunate situation, and you have to have realistic expectations. It is unrealistic in my opinion to expect to be a World Champion at the adult level without having time for a serious strength and conditioning program on top of the 10-20 hours of mat time you need to be putting in every week.

16. BigStaff

BigStaff Purple Belt

Ask Hillary she does it/did it.... I think?

17. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

With all due respect to Hillary as her accomplishments are truly amazing:

There is not the same depth of competition in women's BJJ as in men's. They combine the brown and black belt divisions for women at Mundials because there are just not enough high-level female grapplers in the world yet. It is much more competitive for men.

But yeah she is a full-time pre-med student and also manages to train something like 15-20 hours a week. You have to have a lot of energy and athletic ability, but it can be done.

Here's another example of a guy who has a full-time job and a kid but is competing at a very high level in BJJ: Steve Austin's Perfect Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Travels

He's like 38 y/o and mostly competes in the master's/seniors division now but he did place at Mundials at brown belt in the adult division.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but out of the guys who placed at adult - black belt level at Mundials, I believe 100% of them do BJJ as a full-time career and do not have "day jobs."

18. PikachuManson

PikachuManson Green Belt

I think we can all relate to this thread and i live for the dayi can quit my job and focus solely on bjj!

19. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

I'm so fucking sick of "no offense to Hillary but..." God damnit, I know it's not as big of a deal. Ugh. I know. I'm aware. I'll probably never be as good as any of the black belt men's medalists, but I accomplished a lot more than most people, male or female.

As it is, kid, world champions in the men's black belt division aren't just hard workers. Not even close. 99% of the world's jiu jitsu fighters, given the opportunity, could train just as hard and not become world champions. The reason they win is because they're a special breed. They're the perfect combination of talent, drive, determination, natural athleticism, correct coaching, being in the right place and the right time, and that competitive drive that's very rare. You can only train so much, the rest you're born with and luck into. That's why they're so revered.

The best thing to do is train as hard as you can with what you've got. Live your life because making a living off of jiu jitsu is hard and often doesn't pay. Study, work, and if you can't find an hour to do something you love, well....then re-evaluate.

20. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

I have time to train 2x a day, 5x a week while in school. Of course, sometimes I cannot because it is physically draining, but I usually get in 6-8 a week.