Baking soda in your water

yakuza01

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've heard it's supposed to help you a little bit with the acids generated while working out. Is there any truth to that?

yakuza01 said:
I've heard it's supposed to help you a little bit with the acids generated while working out. Is there any truth to that?

Well baking soda is an alkaline....But personally i have no trouble with acid while i am working out, so obviously there would be no need to use baking soda.

Maybe if u regularly get acid indigestion it would be smart to take some alkaline products like baking soda.

lets not justify the injestion of baking soda here, cause if you do somebody somewhere is going to read it and think "alright, so it does help neutralize lactic acid." no matter what you said. Here's what will happen when you eat baking soda: it will go down to your stomach, nutralize some acid there, and that's the end of it. as an added bonus, if you eat enough baking soda in combination with enough honey, you can get botulism and die. HOORAY!

Thanks for the links Grady, interesting read. Don't worry Urban, it's not like I would ingest a whole box of baking soda or that I have any illusions of running a triatlon just based on this. Assuming it actually works, I would think the benefits are minor.

I remember about marathon runners going through a phase of drinking baking soda before a event.
Apparently it does work a little, but the amount you need makes you feel very very uncomfortable and ill for a while, so its not worth it.

Hate to say it, but having avery alkaline diet on the whole would do you more good

Urban said:
as an added bonus, if you eat enough baking soda in combination with enough honey, you can get botulism and die. HOORAY!

Lmao.

yakuza01 said:
Thanks for the links Grady, interesting read. Don't worry Urban, it's not like I would ingest a whole box of baking soda or that I have any illusions of running a triatlon just based on this. Assuming it actually works, I would think the benefits are minor.

NP. I wouldn't consider using it unless you are one of the top athletes in your field and need that tiny little 1% potential boost for an anerobic activity. Doubt you will generate any additional power, just a bit more endurance. 100 yard dash, or somesuch competition.

Urban said:
lets not justify the injestion of baking soda here, cause if you do somebody somewhere is going to read it and think "alright, so it does help neutralize lactic acid." no matter what you said. Here's what will happen when you eat baking soda: it will go down to your stomach, nutralize some acid there, and that's the end of it. as an added bonus, if you eat enough baking soda in combination with enough honey, you can get botulism and die. HOORAY!

botulism isn't so bad. Celebrities shoot that shit into their faces all the time (Botox). If celebrities are doing it, it MUST be OK.....

Urban said:

Grady said:

owned.

I knew some swimmers who would soda load.

i think when people talk about acid levels raising due to working out they are talking about the levels of the blood. so the goal would be to make your blood as balanced as possible to maintain decent recovery. This can be achived by eating more alkaline foods but thats another thread.

your body has negative feedback mechanisms to stop your blood from being too acidic or alkaline. that's probably why it's effects don't last long.

Urban said:
Old thread, and my first post, but to add a link regarding performance and bicarbonate ingestion: http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0086.htm

I suddenly have an idea..Just bathe with soap . Minuscule amounts of soap will get through ya skin, and soap is alkaline.

My mom used to take Baking Soda water for her upset stomach at night. And I use it in my Koi pond when the ph needs to be raised. It works good for those uses. I don't see how any would get past the stomach to the muscle or bloodstream however. And....if you don't have an upset stomach....I would imagine it would throw off the natural order of things in there and cause some problems. I don't think I'd be messing with the ph of my tummy. Especially when there is a ton of other shit out there to attain what you want.

Girljock said:
Especially when there is a ton of other shit out there to attain what you want.
When it comes to buffering lactic acid, the body actually uses bicarbonate to do it. Stomach issues aside, supplementing is proven to work, if only a little. You did clink and read the links, right? :p Anyways, here's another good link: http://www.1fast400.com/?ingredients_id=51

I was onhand at a recent testing of potential recruits for our fire dept; this took place at the university, in the human physiology lab. One of the lab testers was a wealth of knowledge, being a grad in kinesiology and human physiology. I picked his brain a bit about this issue.

His opinion, which I put a fair bit of merit on, was that supplementing with sodium bicarb would significantly buffer lactic acid---which in turn would decrease the precieved fatigue usually associated which increased lactic acid levels. But it wouldn't directly affect energy output, or increase V02 max in any way.

I'm skeptical of the "high-alkaline diet", because when it comes to adjusting pH, diet can only do so much. Seems to be popular with MMA athletes, though, pro and amatuer alike.

What is this "ton of other shit" that you mentioned?

MikeMartial said:
When it comes to buffering lactic acid, the body actually uses bicarbonate to do it. Stomach issues aside, supplementing is proven to work, if only a little. You did clink and read the links, right? :p Anyways, here's another good link: http://www.1fast400.com/?ingredients_id=51

I was onhand at a recent testing of potential recruits for our fire dept; this took place at the university, in the human physiology lab. One of the lab testers was a wealth of knowledge, being a grad in kinesiology and human physiology. I picked his brain a bit about this issue.

His opinion, which I put a fair bit of merit on, was that supplementing with sodium bicarb would significantly buffer lactic acid---which in turn would decrease the precieved fatigue usually associated which increased lactic acid levels. But it wouldn't directly affect energy output, or increase V02 max in any way.

I'm skeptical of the "high-alkaline diet", because when it comes to adjusting pH, diet can only do so much. Seems to be popular with MMA athletes, though, pro and amatuer alike.

What is this "ton of other shit" that you mentioned?

Why would I bother to click on links :icon_conf Plenty of water....interval training.....good nutrition......breathing....that will take care of the the lactic acid. Well...at least it will help with it. I mean.....if you are racing hard..training hard....you are probably going to have some. Actually....I've had a LOT less problems with that since I modified my diet to remove most of the carbs (bad ones) and increase the protein and fat. I think the interval training is the main thing though.

I think an alkaline diet might be better (talking body ph) just because it's not all at once. You body gets time to adjust to it...where if you take a glass of water with BS, that will probably effect you more quickly. I only add 1 table spoon to a 3500 pond in a 12 hour period because of the rapid ph change. Ok...I"m done with the pond references...I know they are silly. :) I have no idea if/how it relates to blood chemistry, but...hell...if that little can effect 3500 gallons of water.......

Actually I thought Creatine was something that might help. Also one of those gel packs...damn...I can't think of the ones I use during my rides. Maybe "a ton" was a bit of a hyperboly.....but the risks with BS seem a bit much. Hi sodium....most people get severe shits.....the benefits aren't big enough to deal with that.

I know it's different with training for MMA than what I do....which is basically running and biking.

Back