Crime Bail Reform Continuing to Keep Good People Out of Jail

Bail is most frequently used to extort guilty pleas without trial. It is one of the ugliest, most unjust aspects of the U.S. legal system.

Trials take years in the U.S.

Very often, the time spent awaiting trial in jail is greater than the sentence even if found guilty. (Keep in mind, most defendants are not accused of murder or rape)

While in jail, the defendant is not working/earning money, while their expenses continue. Your home and car payments do not stop because you are being held.

Attorneys are devastatingly expensive.

Once you run out of money, and can no longer pay your attorney (because you are earning $0), you discover you are NOT eligible for public defender, as you originally possessed financial means to hire an attorney.

You can appeal this ... after sitting longer in jail.

TL: DR - If you can't post bail, it's often better to plead guilty (even if you are innocent).

The burden of the state/court to assign bail needs to be elevated extremely.

They should only release people charged with drug related crimes. Everybody knows drug dealers and addicts aren't violent.

Sickening. That is what Democrat law makers want though. Some Democrats even want to do away with all jails. It isn't a mystery why crime rates are surging in Democrat ran cities and states.

The guy was arrested for speeding and not having a license for a gun he had on him. That describes about half of sherdog posters.

lol... Clown

"In March, Allen Grant, 62, appeared in court, charged with leading police on a high-speed chase, while drunk and illegally armed with a gun. He was held on $10,000 bond, but then it was lowered to $1,000 and he was released."

Dude was a felon and illegally had a gun.... Which he still possessed when killed these two people.

What's the f'ing point of gun laws if they don't enforce them on people who don't follow them?

Oh!! Let's enact more gun laws that only affect law abiding citizens... because they'll follow them, while criminals will continue to NOT follow laws, because they're criminals.

While we're at it... let's just keep dumping them back on the street...

Because Equity!!

Frothing at the mouth aside. He was arrested for speeding and illegal possession of a firearm. In what world does that presage a subsequent double homicide?

Based that flimsy reasoning, no one should ever get bail because anyone could go out and kill someone afterwards.

Bail is most frequently used to extort guilty pleas without trial. It is one of the ugliest, most unjust aspects of the U.S. legal system.

Very often, the time spent awaiting trial in jail is greater than the sentence even if found guilty. (Keep in mind, most defendants are not accused of murder or rape)

While in jail, the defendant is not working/earning money, while their expenses continue. Your home and car payments do not stop because you are being held.

Once you run out of money, and can no longer pay your attorney (because you are earning $0), you discover you are NOT eligible for public defender, as you originally possessed financial means to hire an attorney.

TL: DR - If you can't post bail, it's often better to plead guilty (even if you are innocent).

There needs to be some reforms in this area, but the bail reform that is the current flavor seems to be “release bipoc regardless of risk except murder” and it is leading to violent criminals being released on low or no bond to commit even more heinous acts. Philly is a prime example. larry krasner is especially vocal about not wanting to lock up black men so he has instructed his prosecutors to release them unless it is murder. He refuses to charge felons in possession of an illegal firearm because “it disproportionately affects black and brown men” and “doesn’t do anything to stop violent crime” and he is up to his eyes in blood with over 300 murders.
Yet, he holds police officers without bond if they commit an on duty shooting. This case involves the shooting of a 12 year old that shot at officers. The prick da even charged the officer with possession of a firearm with intent to commit a crime?! So an officer that has no criminal record and shoots a kid 5’11, 155 lbs(looks like an adult) after being shot at is treated like a rabid dog while krasner let’s our career criminals caught carrying guns, car jacking people, shooting people, etc. but the officer faces:He faces charges of first and third-degree murder, voluntary manslaughter, and possession of an instrument of crime. That is ridiculous stacking of crimes. krasner is such a piece of shit

https://heavy.com/news/edsaul-mendoza/

lol... Clown

"In March, Allen Grant, 62, appeared in court, charged with leading police on a high-speed chase, while drunk and illegally armed with a gun. He was held on $10,000 bond, but then it was lowered to $1,000 and he was released."

Dude was a felon and illegally had a gun.... Which he still possessed when killed these two people.

What's the f'ing point of gun laws if they don't enforce them on people who don't follow them?

Oh!! Let's enact more gun laws that only affect law abiding citizens... because they'll follow them, while criminals will continue to NOT follow laws, because they're criminals.

While we're at it... let's just keep dumping them back on the street...

Because Equity!!

They haven’t made a gun law yet that criminals will follow.

I think it really depends on the area, but in general if there is no prior history of a violent crime or a high likelyhood of a flight risk, the bail should not be so high as to prevent someone from posting bail. Also, you are supposed to have a right to a speedy trial, but that often isn't the case because the courts are clogged with a log of petty bullshit cases like low level drug offenses.

I'm in favor of bail reform and reform to fees as well since not paying fees after serving a sentence can land you back in jail and sometimes the fees are exorbitant.

First off, we have so many dishonest people on this message board who represent both sides of the aisle. This person was being held on bail for driving under the influence and leading police on a high speed chase while having an unlicensed firearm in the car (illegal gun). You’d think anti gun or “common sense gun legislation” minded people would want this man waiting trial just for that. Let me explain to you how serious Chicago views DUI reckless drivers since that’s my AOE. In our chase policy we will likely if not immediately have a chase terminated for most violent crime including gun violence offenses if an offender disregards more than 2 traffic control devices and is a danger to the general public. However, the city will endlessly let us pursue a reckless dui driver regardless of how dangerous the chase becomes. Can anyone guess why that is? They’re a fucking immediate danger to every single car and person they pass, that’s why. They need to be stopped and await their day in court. All that being said, we need serious judicial reform but the bail bonds system has both helped/saved and hurt people I can’t ignore that. I believe if the court releases you before trial and you commit murder they should be severely punishment for their lack of judgement.

The reason he had an unlicensed gun was because he was a felon and couldn't legally own a gun.

So when he was picked up for fleeing/evading and possessing an illegal firearm, it's even worse than these clowns want you to believe. And In this current climate, should tell you everything about Activist judges that they would reduce his Bond from $10,000 to $1,000. Dude was obviously high risk and clearly guilty, seeing as how they pulled him from the vehicle.

If they released him, why not verify he doesn't have other illegal guns at his residence? What's the point of these gun laws, they don't fucking enforce them. And judges are just dumping thugs back onto the streets to commit more crimes.

The reason he had an unlicensed gun was because he was a felon and couldn't legally own a gun.

So when he was picked up for fleeing/evading and possessing an illegal firearm, it's even worse than these clowns want you to believe. And In this current climate, should tell you everything about Activist judges that they would reduce his Bond from $10,000 to $1,000. Dude was obviously high risk and clearly guilty, seeing as how they pulled him from the vehicle.

If they released him, why not verify he doesn't have other illegal guns at his residence? What's the point of these gun laws, they don't fucking enforce them. And judges are just dumping thugs back onto the streets to commit more crimes.

You just don't understand its not his fault he had the gun illegal or killed those people. It's the guns and all legal gun owners fault. If he was a felon in possession of a gun he should have been held without bail as a danger to the community .

But then you go back to the anti 2 left thinking I stated above.

Yeah, illiberalism is festering in the left.

Its festering among democrats and modern neoliberals. These are the groups that believe authoritarianism and imperialism are ok if it suits their agendas. Leftists do not. We genuinely consider liberals and the democratic party center and center-right. There are no politicians in power federally that represent leftism or leftists.

The left/liberal/democrat distinction is an important one. We disagree with alot of the crap coming out of institutions controlled by the democratic party. As of the early 90's, corporate interests were able to buy the democratic party making the differences between democrats and republicans largely unimportant as there was no longer a party even remotely representing the interests of the working class.

Easy way to tell a leftist from a democrat/liberal:

Leftists hate Clinton for the Crime Bill, selling the democratic party to alot of the same business interests that already controlled the republican party, and the Telecommuniccations Act that destroyed american media. Leftists disagreed with the unnecessary NATO expansion that took place under Clinton seeing as how the Soviet Union was dissolved before he took office.

Democrats/liberals thought he was great.

Leftists strongly dislike Obama for the interventions in Somalia, Sudan, Libya, Yemen and Syria. Leftists despise Obama for backing the 2014 Coup in Ukraine. Leftists were strongly disappointed that instead of pushing for universal healthcare, Obama decided to use the right-wing, Heritage Foundation's medical care plan that just mandated people to buy private insurance, which just led to more price-gouging. Leftists also hated that Obama ran on "Codifying Roe on day #1" and after elected said, "it's not my top legislative priority."

To Democrats/liberals, he was the "greatest president of our lifetimes."

Leftists HATE Biden. We didn't vote for that guy. Many leftists know him as "Jim Crow Joe" after his part in authoring the crime bill. He was a staunch advocate for the Iraq war. He has advocated freezing Medicare, medicaid, social security and even veteran's benefits at least 3 times. He is anti-choice, despite what he says for the cameras. He and his family are corrupt and on the take and always have been. He once bragged in the Senate about trying to sell out and being told by the business interests he was pandering to to "come back in 10 years," and he did just that. He claims he tries to compromise with his political opposition, but really all he does is make concessions to the point he has conceded his whole agenda. He hasn't kept a SINGLE campaign promise he made to voters, and nobody on the left actually expected him to. He did keep one campaign promise tho; he gave a speech during his campaign to a collective meeting of the major financial interests and told them "nothing will fundamentally change." He is dragging out a war in Ukraine by violating international law against supplying nations with weaponry while engaged in state-to-state conflict. His sanctions are destroying the economies of the west.

Democrats/liberal only want him out of office due to the obvious cognitive decline, completely excusing EVERY other problem in his past and his presidency. (and i had to leave a ton off the list)

TL;DR: Leftists aren't Democrats and don't identify with modern neoliberalism. Please stop using Leftist/liberal/democrat interchangeably. It's as inaccurate as calling a Libertarian an Evangelical Conservative.

I'm not reading that, but I'm also not using the word in an entirely literal sense. Modern liberals aren't really liberal, but it gets the point across.

I don't use the word liberal for the left at all anymore. I always say progressive. I'd rather see the meaning of the word liberal upheld.

Last edited:
First off, we have so many dishonest people on this message board who represent both sides of the aisle. This person was being held on bail for driving under the influence and leading police on a high speed chase while having an unlicensed firearm in the car (illegal gun). You’d think anti gun or “common sense gun legislation” minded people would want this man waiting trial just for that. Let me explain to you how serious Chicago views DUI reckless drivers since that’s my AOE. In our chase policy we will likely if not immediately have a chase terminated for most violent crime including gun violence offenses if an offender disregards more than 2 traffic control devices and is a danger to the general public. However, the city will endlessly let us pursue a reckless dui driver regardless of how dangerous the chase becomes. Can anyone guess why that is? They’re a fucking immediate danger to every single car and person they pass, that’s why. They need to be stopped and await their day in court. All that being said, we need serious judicial reform but the bail bonds system has both helped/saved and hurt people I can’t ignore that. I believe if the court releases you before trial and you commit murder they should be severely punishment for their lack of judgement.

Qualified immunity would have to be completely eliminated before that could happen. As an officer are you willing to voluntarily give that up?

You just don't understand its not his fault he had the gun illegal or killed those people. It's the guns and all legal gun owners fault. If he was a felon in possession of a gun he should have been held without bail as a danger to the community .

But then you go back to the anti 2 left thinking I stated above.

An AR15 ban should fix all of this.... lol

I don't use the word liberal for the left at all anymore. I always say progressive. I'd rather see the meaning of the word liberal upheld.

Classic Liberals are now Nazis....

40D7045200000578-0-image-a-21_1495840916790.jpg

Frothing at the mouth aside. He was arrested for speeding and illegal possession of a firearm. In what world does that presage a subsequent double homicide?

Based that flimsy reasoning, no one should ever get bail because anyone could go out and kill someone afterwards.

lol..... Good lord *facepalm*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back