Bag Work

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by GladiatorRPM, Aug 8, 2015.

1. GladiatorRPM

GladiatorRPM White Belt

2. MuayThaiDude

MuayThaiDude Yellow Belt

It's hard for me to critique bag work because every time I record myself I always feel like I look much slower than what I thought. I thought you looked pretty good. You had good timing with the bag swinging and you had a nice looking, brisk left hook. If I had to critique any part I would say maybe use a bit more hip in your kicks, but other than that I thought it was pretty solid.

3. MacDuffle

MacDuffle Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Judging from sound alone, everything is on-point. Really crisp entry into striking from the look of it. Needs a bag spotter/holder, which would cut down on your resetting time and let you throw more combos. Other than that, nice work in Poirier's fightland

4. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    stay tighter, open your hips more on your kicks.

5. no fat chicks

no fat chicks Worlds greatest poster

awesome man, probably better than i could do. I have no tips just positive words.

6. Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna Red Belt

Elbows in tighter to your body; pivot your back foot to turn your hips into your cross. I wasn't able to see your feet much but I saw once that your foot was flat instead of being up on the balls of your foot when throwing a round kick.

I like that you step into the jab. For whatever reason, that is something that a lot of the muay thai guys I've met don't really drill.

7. a guy

a guy Black Belt

I saw a lot of awkward arm punches. The weight transfer, leverage and torso rotation just aren't there. That's why you keep swinging your left hooks so wide, and leaning so far into your rights.

Get stronger on your support leg when you kick, get your hips open and thrust with your support leg as you hit the bag.

8. Sano

Sano Black Belt

First of all, it's great to see how far you've come. Keep up the good work! That being said:

I agree with a guy. What popped up in my head was:

Thighten up, especially the lead hook. It's too wide.
    Use your hips a bit more and get more torque/turn on your punches.
    More leg drive in general and sit down a bit more.
    Lean less. You are leaning a bit too much forward.

Maybe try to add some weaves and step offs after combinations. Maybe even some level changes and high/low jabs. Either way, the ones above are the most important right now. I'd say anyway.

Do you do any strenght training btw? And do you feel like you are quad dominant?

9. clashnat

clashnat Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

What is that?

10. Da Speeit

fancy way of saying "Flat footed"

11. clashnat

clashnat Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

^ Wow, I posted at 01:15 PM and you replied at 01:15 PM.

But if that is flat footed, why would you ask? Isn't it seeable for everyone?

12. Just a few quick points I noticed haven't gone through thread.

- I can tell you favour your lead hook, try tightening it up a bit and throw it more with your hip/shoulder and less arm extension

- Middle kicks are coming from the centre line with not much rotation, try stepping off the centre line to your left a bit and turning your rear shoulder over when you kick with your hand extended for defence, I find this helps with proper rotation/torque

- Low kicks have a similar issue with kicking from the centre line with no setup, at the very least try pawing out a blinder job while stepping out 45 degrees and turning your hips and chopping down into the thigh (bag). Otherwise you're asking for a straight right/left down the pipe

- Switch kick, I think I only saw one or two but I noticed it was a very telegraphed forward step into the switch kick, again you will walk directly into a painful right hand in the mouth for that, practicing the shuffle even without the kick just to get the movement down then add the kick in slowly. At the very least if you're going to throw the switch middle kick and want to step into it rather than shuffle, make sure you're stepping off at an angle to avoid a counter right/jab.

Other than that good work, takes balls to post a video. Happy training!

13. Jkaylor

Jkaylor Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Wut? No. It means exactly what the name implies; you tend to use your quads more than you do your glutes and hamstrings in hip and knee movements. Flat feet may be related to this kind of imbalance but so are many other dysfunctions.

14. roventu

roventu Brown Belt

nice stuff.

-some of your left hooks were arm punches (just rolling your shoulder into it).

-sometimes you'd become unbalanced on your body hooks, you can tell you move back on your heel after some flurries.

-when ppl say use your hips more on their kicks, i think they mean kick through the target (if not, thats what I'm saying lol). i like to push off as the kick impacts, to hit a little harder and return to my stance faster (which you had no problem with). i'm not sure if thats proper technique, you might get tired more (just like how ppl say not to push your punches after impact). but it does ensure kicking through the target, instead of hitting on surface then returning.

overall, these are the only things i caught, and its because these are the mistakes i try to improve during bagwork too lol

15. Da Speeit

which are activated by being on the balls of your feet.
    Thanks

16. Jkaylor

Jkaylor Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Your hamstrings and glutes definitely do not require that you be on the balls of your feet to activate.

17. Sano

Sano Black Belt

This is actually what I was getting at. Sometimes people who are quad dominant has a tendency to fall forward a bit when punching and have a harder time sitting back.

18. Da Speeit

lol

19. Sano

Sano Black Belt

He's right.

Hamstrings primarily fires when you are knee flexing, glutes primarily fires when you are extending your hips. Feet doesn't really factor into it, unless we are talking about the calfs.

Are you talking about being flat footed as in the condition or just not on the balls of your feet?

20. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

If he was incorrect, deadlifts and squats would be pretty impossible.