Bad Takedowns

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Respeezy, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

Hi , i dont feel comfortable with my takedowns.
    I can do a couple textbook style because of some drilling , but i haven't trained them sufficient in sparring, so it's like if someone has solid defense i'm going into unfamiliar territory.

What would be the smartest thing to do in competition (Bjj)?

Should i just sit down on the ground where i'm comfortable and take it from there?
    Or would that give myself a disadvantage and is it better to like shoot and immediatly try to pull guard if it fails?

Any thoughts?

2. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

Is it a points or sub-only competition? If it's points then go for the takedown one way or the other. You're going to have to start standing and you get two points for the takedown - you're going to want to try for those one way or the other.

3. Doctor Venture

Doctor Venture Black Belt

How far away is the competition? I would say just work your takedowns. Eventually you will need them anyways. Hit a few Judo classes or work with a wrestler.

I wouldnt go for a double leg if youre bad at it. It seems like anyone who shoots bad doubles on me gets tapped really easily. Plenty of bad singles on me too, but I usually just see them stuffed. Its more forgiving imo.

4. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Brown Belt

But if you're outclasses and you get taken down, you're down 2 points instead of if you'd just pulled guard.

I prefer to fight for the TD, but just saying.

5. ZuZitsu**

ZuZitsu** Purple Belt

If I dont feel like I can take my opponent down I just shake hands and sit guard (open guard) I dont like jumping to closed guard.

Id rather be where I feel comfortable with 6 mins to play.....rather than waste half the match on our feet then be down 2-0 with only 3 mins to play catch up.

6. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

I've heard of people pulling guard from standing and it being called a takedown, but I guess that varies from judge to judge.

I've also not personally seen someone just sit down right away and work a guard - but I am extremely new to competition so maybe someone else can elaborate there.

7. bagelgod

bagelgod Green Belt

Work sacrifice throws like mad. If they fail, your opponent ends up in your guard. If you succeed, you get 2 points, they get airtime, and presumably you get chicks too.

8. Wizrobelol

Wizrobelol White Belt

Try to roll with wrestlers. Probably 60% of my curriculum was takedowns in wrestling. If you're not comfortable with straight single or double legs I'd say I'd probably work on trips from the clinch or throws as someone said. Whatever you're more comfortable with.

9. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

It's a points competition.

Also offcourse i will work on my takedowns , judo classes might be a good idea.

I have so many things to work on before the competition which is pretty soon,
    so i dont think it would be wise to go on and learn a lot (read : to much) of new stuff.

10. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

Hm like the chick part the most.

11. Torrid

Torrid Cunning Linguist

If you jump guard during a TD attempt then yeah, the judge is going to give them their points.

Plenty of people sit at the beginning. Usually it's in the intermediate division. White belts are too jumpy and spaz on each other while the advanced division (brown/black) usually know wrestling, judo, or at least a hook and flip with gi.

To the OP: just sit. I don't sit unless it's Absolute class, but if you're not confident you might as well. Still, while you're butt-scooting grab those feet and if they turn their back to pull out of it you better take advantage of it.

12. Wizrobelol

Wizrobelol White Belt

Try to adapt your takedowns to fit your personal style. If you have trouble pulling single legs off try sweep singles instead. Changing your angles can throw your opponent off. And don't be afraid to back out of a shot if you think you'll give him dominant position. But you also shouldn't be afraid to shoot. Really it sounds like very general advice but it all comes down to your own judgment.

I had a lot of trouble with straight singles getting stuffed, so I started going for duck unders and ankle picks. I have a long reach and the ankle pick worked a lot better for me.

13. ProdigyOfZen

ProdigyOfZen Orange Belt

This happened to me over the weekend. Guy sat down right away when the match started. I immediately passed his guard and got side control. Submitted him in a cool 42 seconds ;) when he straightened his arm defending the key lock.

14. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

Damn some mixed reactions, thanks for all the advice but i still don't know what to do :icon_chee

I could sit down , but when i don't have at least one solid grip i usually get passed too easy, than again when i have a grip i might as well try a take down.

lol decisions decisions.

15. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

i don't think you're supposed to pull guard before you have your grips ... ?

16. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

It depends. IBJJF would not allow it but not sure about other competitions.

To be honest, you are better having some grips otherwise it might just be too easy to pass your open guard unless your name is Ryan Hall!

17. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

gogin to some random Judo classes isn't really going to help that much. Just by showing up at a couple BJJ classes doesn't mean you're gonna be slayin fools with kimuras and gogos.

Throwing takes a lot of practice. Guys are trying to muscle you down or pull guard or whatever. If you are limited on time I would focus on a double/single leg and maybe ask a Judo friend to teach you a simple foot sweep.

But these things still need to be constantly practiced like anything else.

18. fourfif**

fourfif** Banned Banned

The highest percentage takedown for your opponent always comes as a result of a bad shot by you.

If you're going to shoot, set it up.

In my personal opinion, you should work on being strong in the tie before you start shooting from the outside. Unless you are crazy athletic and you are fighting someone with zero td defense, then you want to set up your shots.

The best way to do that is from the tie, because you can

A) get your opponent off balance before you....

B) ...get your get in reeeal close on your penetration step.

Good way to do that is to learn the two on one. No tie up is more advantageous. It is simultaneously a superior offensive and defensive position. You will have many options for shots, throws and trips, while your opponent will have very few. It will also help build your confidence in stand up grappling.

Good luck!

19. krait

krait Purple Belt

How is your half guard? While I don't buy a lot of wht eddie Bravo says I do agree with his attitude towards pulling half guard. Sitting and pulling a guy into half guard is not as hard as just sitting and fighitng off a person that is still standing. If your half guard is decent you can work for a sweep or at least get back to full guard. And you haven't lost any points.

I agree with what some others have said. Just taking a couple of Judo classes ins't going to cut it. Throws are a lot harder to pull off against a fighting opponent.

20. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

Go live takedowns with other people in your weight class to see if you are good enough to do it in competition.