Bad news for Sherbros across the pond: McGregor Reebok fight kits banned from Europe.

So like if someone had the name McGregor and played a team sport would that be allowed?

So stupid

How does a company get a copyright over a guy's ability to use his own name to begin with? Only in communist Europe!

Trademarks are available in many countries across the world, at the time of application you have to show usage, what classes they wish to protect in and show adequate reason why the name should be protected. In this case they could show the name Mcgregor was used by them in the class of clothing and they were able to obtain protection for it.

Why would a company that aims at a certain market want to dilute it's brand with reebok clothing?

Are you saying it's reasonable for you to set up a successful business such as Louis Vuitton then someone comes who is called Louis Vutton wants to brand their products with their name and should be allowed to? It's why intellectual property protection is important in any consumer economy and why companies are litigious over it.

Ashamed to be Dutch right now tbh. This is going to be a hurdle for a lot of aspiring full kit wankers.

lol, the logic behind that is retarded as fuck

One is a brand, one is pretty much a jersey for an athlete

Feel like they just want to spite him
They will settle

The fact the judge ruled in their favour means they will get paid pretty soon

Trademarks are available in many countries across the world, at the time of application you have to show usage, what classes they wish to protect in and show adequate reason why the name should be protected. In this case they could show the name Mcgregor was used by them in the class of clothing and they were able to obtain protection for it.

Why would a company that aims at a certain market want to dilute it's brand with reebok clothing?

Are you saying it's reasonable for you to set up a successful business such as Louis Vuitton then someone comes who is called Louis Vutton wants to brand their products with their name and should be allowed to? It's why intellectual property protection is important in any consumer economy and why companies are litigious over it.

Outrageous claims. LOL

We're talking about a guy using HIS OWN FUCKING NAME on a t-shirt. Should an athlete named Jordan not be able to have his own face and name on a shirt because someone else is called Jordan too? It's ridiculous, and it needs to end, and it will soon end because people are waking up to just how ridiculous these claims are.

That's ok. None of us Europeans bought any anyway. We just grew beards in his honour instead

Outrageous claims. LOL

We're talking about a guy using HIS OWN FUCKING NAME on a t-shirt. Should an athlete named Jordan not be able to have his own face and name on a shirt because someone else is called Jordan too? It's ridiculous, and it needs to end, and it will soon end because people are waking up to just how ridiculous these claims are.

He can do it and walk round in it but can't create a brand with that name. it's why so many countries are pushing China to take action because there has been total disregard for patents and trademarks by companies based there, they take well known branded products and make cheap versions for it. Personally it helps me however it's affected many companies worldwide, it does help keep people employed in China and other countries that disregard IP laws.
You either protect the work that companies do to create products and their brand or you don't and let it be a free for all. There is a reason why IP is important.

It’s ok. Reebok could just make a bunch of shirts saying “Conro McGregory” instead and it’d be business as usual,

Outrageous claims. LOL

You're too short to buy any of their merch anyway. they don't make kiddy sizes, manlet.

Screw Reebok anyways, and that's a nice hit to MCG's wallet and Reebok's

He can do it and walk round in it but can't create a brand with that name. it's why so many countries are pushing China to take action because there has been total disregard for patents and trademarks by companies based there, they take well known branded products and make cheap versions for it. Personally it helps me however it's affected many companies worldwide, it does help keep people employed in China and other countries that disregard IP laws.
You either protect the work that companies do to create products and their brand or you don't and let it be a free for all. There is a reason why IP is important.

You're talking about literally ripping off a brand, and Conor not being able to use his last name on a shirt that bares no resemblance to the brand other than his last name. There is a SIGNIFICANT difference.

This could cost Reebok hundreds of dollars in lost sales, i feel terrible for them.

You're too short to buy any of their merch anyway. they don't make kiddy sizes, manlet.

What are you doing hovering around sites looking for baby sizes? LMAO

Sounds like you're upset. LOL

Don't worry, I'm sure Conor Jr. will come out with his own line soon enough.

You're talking about literally ripping off a brand, and Conor not being able to use his last name on a shirt that bares no resemblance to the brand other than his last name. There is a SIGNIFICANT difference.

No it was just an example, I am saying there needs to be clear rules to protect brands and products otherwise it becomes too subjective, that's why protection is based on classes rather than whether the clothing is similar in nature. He can use his full name and use his nickname in this case on clothing from my understanding, but this is similar to him being unable to use notorious in alcohol related products. I do however completely understand why it doesn't look reasonable at first glance.

Completely different...

Louis Vutton would be a pretty rare name and if someone called LV was to start producing handbags it would be a fair assumption that they were deliberately trying to associate themselves with and gain sales because of the name.

Just as if my surname was McDonald. If I was to open a burger joint called "McDonalds" there would be a clear case that I was trying to deliberate profit from the use of an establish brandname.

That is a totally different situation here both legally and from a trademark sense.

There is no indication that Reebok are printing the word "McGregor" on sportswear to profit from and associate themselves with an establish fashion brand. Thats not the case. Just as Celtic arent trying to profit by association by putting "McGregor" on the back of their sports jerseys, just as Rangers arent trying to profit by association putting "McGregor" on the back of their sports jerseys. The use of surnames on sports jerseys has been well establish over 50 years.

Im willing to bet this is just a short term temporary injunction while the case makes it to a more serious court and I think it will be thrown out pretty quickly..

No it was just an example, I am saying there needs to be clear rules to protect brands and products otherwise it becomes too subjective, that's why protection is based on classes rather than whether the clothing is similar in nature. He can use his full name and use his nickname in this case on clothing from my understanding, but this is similar to him being unable to use notorious in alcohol related products. I do however completely understand why it doesn't look reasonable at first glance.

It doesn't look reasonable at ANY glance.

Back