Bad Knuckle Pain

StevenH

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've had some issues with my knuckles lately when throwing right crosses, and I think it is because of my shitty gloves. After I measured the padding from the outside, it's only about half an inch thick (including the fake leather), and the inside of the glove feels like a cheap cloth. I'm fairly new to muay thai, and I bought these gloves at my gym thinking that they would give me a decent pair. They're only 6oz gloves and I've been pounding on the heavy bag a lot at home lately. My knuckles get to the point where they're very swollen, and I can barely concentrate on throwing any other kicks, knees, or elbows. I'm positive its not the technique because I feel minimal pain in my hand, and absolutely no pain in my wrist. This is even with majority of my wraps around the top of my hand and knuckles and not too much around the wrist. After I stop, ice my knuckles and take ibuprofen they feel fine until i try punching the bag again. Has anyone had this problem before, and was it corrected by purchasing new gloves around 12oz-160z in weight?

I've had some issues with my knuckles lately when throwing right crosses, and I think it is because of my shitty gloves. After I measured the padding from the outside, it's only about half an inch thick (including the fake leather), and the inside of the glove feels like a cheap cloth. I'm fairly new to muay thai, and I bought these gloves at my gym thinking that they would give me a decent pair. They're only 6oz gloves and I've been pounding on the heavy bag a lot at home lately. My knuckles get to the point where they're very swollen, and I can barely concentrate on throwing any other kicks, knees, or elbows. I'm positive its not the technique because I feel minimal pain in my hand, and absolutely no pain in my wrist. This is even with majority of my wraps around the top of my hand and knuckles and not too much around the wrist. After I stop, ice my knuckles and take ibuprofen they feel fine until i try punching the bag again. Has anyone had this problem before, and was it corrected by purchasing new gloves around 12oz-160z in weight?

6oz gloves are definitely the issue, what they use in mma is 4oz and you'll never see someone hit the heavy bag with those on, the risk of damage is too high. your willingness to keep training through the pain is admirable, though continuing to train while they're still damaged will cause more harm then good. get some good 12/14s for bag work and buy some hand wraps, your knuckles will love you for it.

6oz? What are those, MMA gloves?

I haven't had that problem, but if you're going to be punching a heavybag, be sure to have the right type of gloves. I use 12oz Fairtex gloves. They cost more, but totally worth it in my opinion. I have some cheap Top Contender stuff too, and regret ever buying them.

thanks for the quick replies. They are boxing style gloves, just very very small. I am currently using handwraps, which is why I'm guessing my knuckles haven't been completely flattened and turned into a liquid. I will definitely be buying new gloves right away, and not wait a couple of weeks like I had originally intended. That could be another reason why I never saw anyone in my gym use the same style glove... I feel very stupid now for using them and injuring myself lol

Check out the gear and equipment section on glove reviews, the search engine is your best friend! just don't go buying everlast, they never last.

I punch the heavy bag without gloves. At first your knuckles cant handle it, but after a while its no problem.

Back