Social Bad Day For Big Pharma: California To Make Its Own Insulin and Generic Prescription Drugs

Gavin's running for POTUS, just hasn't announced it yet.

This could be a major feather in his cap for those hoping for a change in the current healthcare system

I really hope states do pave the way for what Cali is doing here. Here in the states my medicine runs 225 a month with no insurance. Thankfully for me I pay 8 bucks. When I was in Spain last year my script was 11 dollars, no insurance. I had to ask the pharmacist a second time what the price was as I couldn’t believe it.

It looks like there is a "cure" for type 1 diabetes and possibly type 2 diabetes. Dr. Dennis Faustman has been using the old cheap TB vaccine to cure patients of type 1 diabetes and possibly type two.

Since insulin does not prevent diabetes damage such as blindness, nerve damage, limb amputation and a host of other negative effects, a better solution I believe is to use Dr. Faustman's methods.

Her web sight and research being published can be seen here ~

https://researchers.mgh.harvard.edu/profile/14159092/Denise-Faustman

They should just use cubans new pharmacy. Shit is cheap. I saw a guy crying because he was so happy his chemo meds were 3k cheaper on the site than at a normal pharmacy.

Worked in Pharmacy for 24 years.

If you all knew how much money was generated by those pharma company price gouges, you'd vomit in disgust. If any sector needed price regulation, it's pharma.

If it works, it's a brilliant move.

It's the CA state medical insurance that's paying those prices. If they can pay for near cost generic instead, the state will save a fuck ton of cash. Hell, if they sell to other states, the other states will save a fuck ton and the fed will save a fuck ton if Medicare and Medicaid approve it.

I give a fuck ton about how this will turn out.

When businesses and people are leaving faster than coming in I'd said it's failed.
When the governor has to lie and beg people to come back there's a problem.
Yeah I know CNN didn't tell you that.

Cali had a net loss of like 70,000 residents which in a state of 39 million is not very much. Like .0017%. Generally the out migration were people with lower education levels who were probably struggling with the high cost of living. You gotta bring your A game to live in Cali and it is not cut out for everybody.

Don't be a hater.

How California's low cost insulin could pay itself back in more ways than one
Even if you don't have diabetes, taxpayers currently help other Californians pay for Insulin. An expert says cheaper insulin is a win for everyone.

SACRAMENTO COUNTY, Calif. — Gov. Gavin Newsom announced on Thursday, California is going to make its own insulin as part of the $308 billion budget he signed on July 1.

In a video posted to Twitter, Newsom said some people pay for insulin out of pocket anywhere from $300-$500 per month.

"The budget I just signed sets aside $100 million so we can contract and make our own insulin at a cheaper price, close to at-cost, and to make it available to all," said Newsom.

Newsom is using tax-payer dollars to start the process. Of the $100 million, $50 million will go toward the development of low-cost insulin products, and an additional $50 million will go towards a California-based insulin manufacturing facility.

This facility will also provide high-paying jobs and a stronger supply chain for the drug, according to Newsom.

Newsom said the cost of insulin would, at minimum, be cut in half by developing and manufacturing the drug in the state.

"Insulin has been the poster child for all that is wrong in the pharmaceutical markets," Dr. Geoffrey Joyce said.

The price of insulin is high because it can be because Joyce said there are only three major makers.

Joyce is the chair of the Department of Pharmaceutical and Health Economics at the USC School of Pharmacy. His research focuses on the costs of medical care and the role of insurance.

“Insulin is a what's called a biologic," He explained. "It is made from a living thing, and so even though it was developed about 100 years ago, we don't have quite a perfect generic copy of it because each batch is going to be a little different."

That's why he said the companies can hold a monopoly over it.

"These three major manufacturers say, ‘hey, our stuff is is trusted and biologic, there's no FDA approved generic until very recently for this, and it's even not a perfect generic.”

California wants to change that by creating a bio-similar version of insulin in the state.

“Therefore, the supply chain is not dependent on overseas production, which some of this is,” he added is a benefit.

$100 million is a cost Joyce said will start to pay itself back in several other ways.

“If you're fortunate enough to qualify for medical, your insulin costs are not too high. The problem is, the state is paying a fortune, right? Because they're paying these exorbitantly high prices, and that comes out of taxpayers bills. So we all pay for that indirectly,” said Joyce.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/l...back/509-87a44244-8f90-4a96-b86d-dd75ab868ef0

Last edited:
Worked in Pharmacy for 24 years.

If you all knew how much money was generated by those pharma company price gouges, you'd vomit in disgust. If any sector needed price regulation, it's pharma.

The whole god-damn medical industry is corrupt as fuck from top to bottom.
I picked up a prescription today for Cefuroxime Axetil 500mg and when they rang it up, it was $230 for 14 pills after insurance! I said no way I'm paying that, and I'll contact my doctor to see if they can get me something cheaper. They ran it through that GoodRx thing, and it was $20. If I could have gone through Mark Cuban's company, it would have been $17 for 30 pills.
What's even more bullshit, my state has a law where all pharmacies have to be owned by someone in the state, so everything is way more expensive. Wal-Mart, Target, etc can't have pharmacies. There are a few CVS pharmacies that are grandfathered in, but they're way more expensive than the surrounding states because they can get away with it.

Lackey: Boss, the plebs are no longer taking the boosters. Schwab will be displeased with our insufficient numbers. What should we do?!
Gavin: Oh Christ, this is bad. Something that you can inject.... something you can inject... Wait <{Joewithit}>
Your conspiracy only works on those with diabetes?

Walmart already did this. Novilin 70/30 and novilin R are $28 per vile. Have been for years. No prescription.
wouldn’t surprise me if it were illegal in cali though.

This is a good thing.

Newsome is garbage and Cali has its problems, but credit where it is due.

Hopefully more states follow suit. And hopefully Cali doesn’t use this as a weapon against other states that don’t follow their politics. A lot to be seen, but I will sincerely hope for the best.

California is going to make its own insulin to fight high prices. Here’s how it might work
Civica, a nonprofit pharma company that is working on making generic insulin available throughout the U.S., is one of the contenders to help the state lower the cost of the lifesaving drug.
BY ADELE PETERS | July 12, 2022

More than 7 million Americans need to take daily insulin to treat diabetes, but the drug is so expensive that many end up skipping doses or not taking as much as they’ve been prescribed.

The cost has more than doubled over the last decade. But on June 7, California Governor Gavin Newsom announced that the state plans to sell its own brand of affordable generic insulin, with $100 million set aside in the state’s new budget to contract with a pharmaceutical company to make its version of the drug and offer it for a more affordable price.

Though the state hasn’t announced a partner yet, one of the likely contenders is Civica, a nonprofit pharma company that is working on making generic insulin available throughout the U.S.

Right now, a single vial of insulin might have a list price of $330. Insurance companies often negotiate lower prices for their members, but if someone is uninsured, or if they have a high deductible, they’ll pay that exorbitant cost.

05-90768208-this-nonprofit-drug-company-is-taking-on-the-high-cost-of-insulin.jpg

“We have announced a policy, which is certainly radical in its own way, of having a maximum recommended price,” says Allan Coukell, senior vice president of public policy at Civica. ”When we announced we would be bringing insulin to market, we said nobody should pay more than $30 a vial. That’s not our selling price. That’s what we think a maximum fair price should be, including the distribution cost and the pharmacy market.”

Civica’s prices are based on only the cost of development, production, and distribution, without markups.

The nonprofit company was founded by a group of hospitals and philanthropies in 2018 to take on the high cost of prescription drugs, with a focus at first on drugs that were experiencing shortages and spiking prices. It already supplies some generic drugs to hospitals, from antibiotics to drugs for patients on ventilators. Insulin will be among the first retail drugs it sells.

04-90768208-this-nonprofit-drug-company-is-taking-on-the-high-cost-of-insulin.jpg

The company is currently building a 140,000-square-foot factory in Virginia that it says will have the capacity to produce a “substantial” amount of the insulin used by Americans, with the potential to expand.

Current drug companies set large profit margins on insulin. The price is also artificially high “because of the convoluted way that prescription drug pricing works,” says Coukell. Manufacturers set an extremely high list price, then negotiate a rebate with pharmacy-benefit managers, the companies that manage prescription drug benefits for insurers.

“There are perverse incentives within the retail model and the reimbursement model that actually favor the products with the high list price because the rebates go to the pharmacy-benefit managers and the insurance companies,” he says.

In California, the state plans to start by acquiring insulin from a partner—which could be Civica, though the state hasn’t yet gone through the request-for-proposal process—to get low-cost insulin on the market as quickly as possible, possibly within two years. A spokesperson for the governor’s office says that the state expects that patients will be able to cut their cost of insulin between 47% and 95% depending on the patient’s insurance plan (or lack of one). The state’s budget includes $5o million for the first stage of the project, and another $50 million to build its own facility in the state that will eventually sell California-branded insulin.

While smaller states likely wouldn’t be able to invest in the same way, others could choose generic insulin for state-employee insurance plans; some states, such as Washington and Utah, allow others to buy drugs through those plans even if they aren’t state employees. Other insurance companies would have to choose if they wanted to offer Civica’s products. But if they don’t, patients may have the option to buy the Civica product out of pocket.

“What we can do is start to be radically transparent because we don’t have this sort of artificial price and then this secret other price,” Coukell says. “So anybody who’s going to the pharmacy, whether they have insurance or not, if they’re getting charged more than what we call ‘maximum recommended price,’ they have the ability to hopefully go into another pharmacy, complain, or opt out of their insurance and buy it for cash.”

As a nonprofit, the organization doesn’t have to recoup the cost of developing its products. “If we launch at a low price, and every other manufacturer drops [its] price, and we don’t end up with a huge volume, that’s actually okay with us because our mission is to bring down the cost of insulin,” he says.

The company’s factory is close to completion, and key equipment will be installed soon, so production will begin this year. The insulin still will have to go through steps required by regulation, including clinical studies and making batches that sit for months before review by the FDA. Its first generic insulin product is expected to come to market in 2024.

https://www.fastcompany.com/9076820...-to-fight-high-prices-heres-how-it-might-work

Walmart already did this. Novilin 70/30 and novilin R are $28 per vile. Have been for years. No prescription.

The biggest problem is that the $25 over-the-counter insulin sold at Walmart is the same human insulin made with the super old formulation from the 1980s, and its unreliable absorption rate is not suitable for patients with Type 1 diabetes, who needs the reliability of modern analog insulin, which costs $350 a vial.

This MAJOR difference is well known since 2019, doctors and Type 1 diabetes advocacy groups have spoken extensively about it, and is the reason why people with Type 1 don't want to use Walmart's $25 OTC insulin unless they absolutely have no other choice:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/4/10/18302238/insulin-walmart-relion

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/09/man-dies-otc-insulin/1942908001/

Since Cali is pumping a hundred million dollars into R&D for their insulin, it's pretty safe to assume that they're not planning to use the 1980s stuff that Walmart is buying in bulk for cheap from Novo Nordisk.

wouldn’t surprise me if it were illegal in cali though.

Weird take. Nevermind that a simple google search would have easily answered that, don't you know that once the FDA approves a medication for Americans to use, it's legal in the entire United States by way of Interstate Commerce?

How did you even get this bizarre idea that an FDA-approved medication would be illegal in California of all places? We all know that if there's anyone that would try to illegally interferes with a Federally-approved medication and prevent their citizens from using it exactly as intended, or to misuse a medication for purposes that it has never been tested for, 100% it would be a politician from a backwater redneck state in the South.

Last edited:
This should be an easy task to do. Since contract manufacturers are probably doing this. But govt will add so much red tape and shit to make it way more expensive than it should be. Will probably fail.

The biggest problem is that the $25 over-the-counter insulin sold at Walmart is the same human insulin made with the super old formulation from the 1980s, and its unreliable absorption rate is not suitable for patients with Type 1 diabetes, who needs the reliability of modern analog insulin, which costs $350 a vial.

This MAJOR difference is well known since 2019, doctors and Type 1 diabetes advocacy groups have spoken extensively about it, and is the reason why people with Type 1 don't want to use Walmart's $25 OTC insulin unless they absolutely have no other choice:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/4/10/18302238/insulin-walmart-relion

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/09/man-dies-otc-insulin/1942908001/

Since Cali is pumping a hundred million dollars into R&D for their insulin, it's pretty safe to assume that they're not planning to use the 1980s stuff that Walmart is buying in bulk for cheap from Novo Nordisk.

Weird take. Nevermind that a simple google search would have easily answered that, don't you know that once the FDA approves a medication for Americans to use, it's legal in the entire United States by way of Interstate Commerce?

How did you even get this bizarre idea that an FDA-approved OTC medication would be illegal in California of all places? We all know that if there's anyone that would try to illegally interferes with a Federally-approved medication and prevent their citizens from using it exactly as intended, or to misuse a medication for purposes that it has never been tested for, 100% it would be a politician from a backwater redneck state in the South.
I know you are right Arkain and my last 20 years as a late on-set juvenile diabetic, my mother, brother and one of my sisters experiences mean nothing to you. You can push all of the big pharma prop that you like my way, but it won't change the fact that I've used all of the available insulins in effort to control my blood sugar.
The fact is, a body acquires immunity to foreign insulin over time. My experience is that Human analog insulins are more dependable, the body's immune response is way slower and they respond to physical activity changes in a way more manageable way.
I used Lantis and apidra combo (about $600 per month) for four years and my body's response to the medicine became sporadic as hell. One day 600, the next day 22. no change in diet or exercise pattern. The shit nearly killed me. Scared the shit out of my wife and kids. My mom responds better to it, by brother and sister do not.
I've had much better control and predicable outcomes with analog insulin for the last 10 years or so.

The reason I questioned the legality is because it's Walmarts ability to sell the shit without a prescription varied state by state. Took a while to adopted and it appears now that only Indiana will still not allow it. Had nothing to do with FDA approval..

So you keep on buying your propaganda and never realize that Pharma shits all over out of patent medicines and always push the ultra expensive and cheaper to produce synthetic (and live patent) stuff, no matter the side effects or what the price does to the consumer. They did the same shit when HA hit the market..

I hate it man, the way you talk down to people over some shit you learned reading sponsored articles. You're a fucking tool..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back