1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Bad Cardio or Asthma?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Yin Yang, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yin Yang Orange Belt

I had quite bad asthma when I was a child, but haven't been affected by it as much during my teenage/adult years.

My question is, during training I start to breathe heavy (gassing) after doing few takedown drills etc, but don't necessarily have any asthma attacks as such. Do you think this is to do more with bad cardio due to lack of conditioning or that my asthma is still affecting my cardio?

2. Alacrity White Belt

Bad cardio most likely. If its asthma, you will wheeze and your chest will feel tight. I had childhood asthma too and when I started training about a year ago I would gas pretty quick. It's definitely no as much of an issue for me now, both childhood asthma or gassing. Just work on improving your cardio and keep training and things will improve.

If it were an asthma attack, you would know, especially since you also had childhood asthma. If that happens, go to the doctor. You could even go to the doctor just to play it safe and get a rescue inhaler for backup if you are really worried too.

3. peytonlucy Silver Belt

Exercise induced asthma is pretty common and nothing to take lightly. I've witnessed some scary situations where untreated people have had serious attacks that could have killed them. At a minimum you should check to see if you need prescription drugs.

4. N3ver3nder Yellow Belt

As a childhood asthmatic and a smoker, I would gas easily doing heavy sparring and I think it's down to bad cardio, with an asthma attack I felt tight in the chest and like I couldn't actually take in enough oxygen when I breathed (like per breath), but with the bad gassing it was more like I just needed to breathe more - if that makes sense?

So odds are it's your cardio, however if you've had a history of asthma it's always a good idea to keep an emergency inhaler nearby, especially in situations like sport where there's a higher chance of triggering an attack. Even if you get to a point where you feel you have good cardio and don't gas too bad, it's a good idea to keep an inhaler on hand.

5. enright3060 Brown Belt

No one on the internet can properly determine if you have asthma. If you are concerned about your health, please go see a doctor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.