Bad Boy Wheeled Champion Bag Review (Multi Post Review)

TheMMAchef

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Please excuse the length. This is my first official review, so I loaded for bear...

I received my bag three days after purchasing as per the norm for BB. When I received it, it also had some other goodies I ordered (for a later review) and a free jump rope. I have three bad boy jump ropes if ANYONE wants one…Here are the specs for the bag per BB's official site:
_____
Bad Boy presents a bag made for champions. This all new Bad Boy Wheeled Champion Bag is perfect for carrying all your training and fight equipment and clothing. It can be used in fight preperations, for training and the gym. It can also be used casually for long journeys, travelling and more.

As it is very spacious it can fit all your MMA fightwear and gear in, its long enough for your shins and big enough for your training pads without being too large to not easily carry about. Its muti pocket compartments allow you to easily store your different pieces of clothing/gear seperatley, with smaller side pockets for easy access to your essentials. Specs: Water Resistant, Hydration Pouch, Full Guard Protection, VIP Liner Pocket, Modular Packing System, Rugged Treaded Wheels.
_____

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
WTF THIS BAG IS HUGE! I am not used to having a large gear bag, and I thought my Nike was big. Good lord. This thing is pretty well sized for any aspiring fighters gear. The bag came pressed down nicely, with the top wrapped around it. It looked like it was packed with care. It was in a sturdy plastic, and came free of any damage or defects upon INITIAL inspection. The zippers looked tight an well-made, the handle has tight stitching, screen-printing on the top seems durable after a small fingernail scratch in an unassuming corner.

Last edited:
QUALITY - 9.5/10
(Overall)
Although I do not agree with some of the design choices, and there is an inherent cheesiness to the overall design, I can unbiasedly state that nothing on the bag is half a**ed. Stitching is tight on the outside, no excess materials, no excess glue, and no frayed string or ends. The mouth of the bag encompasses the entire top and down the sides somewhat. The top to the bag surprised me. It is a durable

Last edited:
LOOKS/DESIGN/PRACTICALITY- 8.5/10

It pained me to do so. But this section BARELY comes past an 8.5. I will explain in detail, but one of the factors is there is cheesiness here. Its undeniable upon closer view. My MAIN gripe with the bag is the rubber indicator logos tactfully chosen and permanently glued and stitched into place. All of which possess an icon akin to a first person shooter power up. There is a gas mask, a mouthpiece, a wheel, a water bottle, a cell phone, and a double ringed lock. The ONLY one that made sense, was the wheel, at least to me. It shows you the orientation of the bag, and allows you to get bearings of internal gear without fumbling. I disagree with the others, because it says HEY! THIS IS WHERE I STORE MY CELL! The water bottle one designates WHERE THE BOTTLE GOES! NEXT TO THE OBLONG POUNCH WITH A DRAWSTRING THAT IS IN THE SHAPE OF A BOTTLE BOTTOM! Also, it COULD make it confusing if you ask someone to grab your phone real quick, and you do not store it there. And of course, for those playing the home game, the logos are in the shape of an octagon….That one is under the radar, but in the context of Muay Thai and MMA…COME ON MAN!! As a bad boy fan, the one argument you can NOT dispute, is that they have a cheese factor. And not even slyly so like Hayabusa or Venum. Its says it loud and proud. Having said that, the design from afar is very tasteful, and while it will set your bag apart, uses a jet black material with dark dark grey accents that are non-reflective. This bag is distinctive, but by no means mall ninja. If I had to choose a word to describe it it would be “insistent”. It is not for someone looking to just haul clothes to a gym. Your training to be a fighter, and you want your bag to state it.
The only other cheesy item that I had in question was the “championship belt” shoulder strap. What makes this worse is they refer to it in the item description…This is where the 8.5 comes in. It turns out this design was chosen for form over function, yet not marketed so. The shoulder strap it about 4” wide at its widest pint, MORE than comfortably distributing the sheer weight this bag can hold. As someone who has been playing Metal guitar for 14 years (half my life) I can attest and endorse a good shoulder strap when I see one. And this one works. The design made it go to an 8, but the practicality gave it a .5 back.

FUNCTIONALITY/PERFORMANCEDURABILITY- 9/10

This category took the LONGEST to review and score. Quite frankly, you could ditch the entire modular system, and it will work just fine. But the question is, is it just a gimmick to set itself apart from other bags, or does it serve a purpose that is worth investing some thinking time in. The answer to that, I am happy to report, is the latter. Assembling the panels is pretty disconcerting I have to tell you. The “boards” seem to be made with a rigid piece of foam material (it is squishy and forgiving, it is not a hard separator), covered with surprisingly good canvas and tight stitching. Once again, it was quality in an area I myself would have cut corners. In other words, this was NOT an afterthought. It seems flimsy because the system is held together by equally wide pieces of Velcro that are on all sides of the bag, as well as in between the mesh bags I described earlier.
Quite frankly, this system was either deigned intentionally, or was half a**ed with a great result. The panels I mentioned have a fold in them, with about 1” of Velcro from top to bottom. This “flap” creates solid contact with an equally long piece of Velcro on the bag which is BIGGER than the connecting panels flap. In short, it creates a solid compartmentalized area to store gear. How solid? I figured you want to know. So I put it to a slight test. I filled it with all my gear and threw it down 2 flights of stairs. It stayed together and stuff wasn’t jumbled up. I did however freak out in thinking I might have broken my Glass bottle of Kwong Loon Oil, but it was fine….I hope. The system works for me. I do not like a big jumble of gear all mixed up in my bag. My MT Coach gives us 30 Seconds to get stuff and get back on mat, so I need to have quick no bs access to my stuff, as I am usually first off first on (not a suck up, just push pace). Does it make the bag? NO. In fact, it is more of a feature than a designed purpose. The last thing I will say about it is that the compartment walls are NOT that rigid, and the main wall down the middle is a little wavy. I like this for two reasons. ONE: because it creates some give in the system, so if it bangs around the Velcro panels won’t come off, and TWO: It conforms more to your gear, rather than the bag getting misshapen and oblong like its stuffed to the brim of explosion......

.........the bag has four huge mesh pockets inside, and I like that a lot. It really takes bag storage to the INSIDE, rather than cluttering your outside of the bag with a pocket for this and that. They themselves could hold a pair of 16oz gloves from any maker (Twins makes a pillow with a wrist wrap), and they make great utility pockets. I do and don’t like the outside pockets. The mouthpiece one I use for my tape, gauze, and Vaseline. While the other I use for deodorant, Kwan Loong Oil, and sanitizer. The inner pocket of the largest pocket is the “VIP Liner” pocket I assume. It has a semi-soft lining, a little more quality than the rest of the bag but do not expect a plush interior. This is most likely due to the fact that the whole bag is water resistant. Which I tested by putting it in the rain. It dampens slightly, but gear remains dry and non-musty. The “full guard protection” is a BJJ-Cheese-esque way of saying that it is anti-microbial…I don’t have a way to test that because I air my stuff out, but I will edit if I see otherwise.

The bag gets a 9 out of ten because I had to take points off for the pockets. I LOVE that most of the storage is inside, I am not a fan of 30 exterior pockets that hold one thing, but I feel that although it has the ideal amount of pockets on the outside for me, and the water bottle holder, the pockets could have been a tad deeper. The mouthpiece picket is used for other things , but it IS intended to hold only a mouthpiece case for easy access (I have a shock dr case that holds my SISU 2.4) on the strap of my bag. Speaking of which, the strap works very well and can be adjusted with one hand. My FAVORITE part about the strap, is that it is not connected by those cheap press hooks like on a lanyard. It is done with a large disc that is inserted into a hole, making it easy to disengage. It is another feature where you go “hey that’s cool”.

The other part that got missing points is that the bottom of this bag on the inside is a little weird. It has a piece of “board” on the bottom, but you can still feel the rails of the handle. It will pose no danger to your gear, but it seems like they made no changes from the champion bag, and ADDED the wheeled system, rather than make the bag have a solid bottom and then the wheel system. Mind you this is ONLY in the section where the handle is, the rest of the bag bottom is solid. The underside is canvas, which I prefer. The bag handle (not the roller one) is a leather like material, and although with a full bag of gear it is hard to get the straps together, it does hold firmly once velcroed and makes a great, easy on the hands handle to carry it by if you needed to go from the ground to the trunk quickly.

Last edited:
CAPACITY- 10/10
Why a 10? Because this is what I have in my bag:

-Ankle Wraps
-1 dry fit shirt
-MT Cup
-UA Boxers
-1 Pair Thai Shorts
(All of the above are stored in a Drawstring bag that I carry into the dressing room)
-1 Pair bag gloves
-1 Pair Hand Wraps
-1 Pair TK Shin Guards (XL)
-1 Pair MMA shorts
-1 Extra pair MT shorts
-Sanitizer
-Kwan Loong Oil
-Deodorant
-Water Bottle
-Post workout shaker bottle
-After workout sweats
-After workout T
-1 Jump rope
-1 Trainers kit (Tape, Gauze, Vaseline)
-Gym Towel
-Wet Bag
-Focus Mitts
-1 Shock Dr Case with mouth guard (outside)
-Water Bottle (Outside)

I do not currently own a pair of sparring gloves, or headgear but I added them in there and after that STILL ROOM TO SPARE! This thing is jam packed using the modular system, but without it, it can be stuffed further!

FINAL THOUGHTS:
TOTAL POINTS: 37/40
-.5 Quality- Everything is done well, but there is a slight “cheesy over functionality is going to affect its longevity” heir you will not be able to shake.
-1.5 Looks/Design- Taken at face value, this bag has the rubber octagons, the championship belt, the Full Guard protection, all marketed in those words. I just don’t understand why you'd place icons on the bag, designating where things should go. I am the consumer, let me choose where things go on my bag. It’s a useless feature done for flash only. I can’t get past it.
-1 Functionality/Performance- This bag redeems the cheesiness by offering quality in areas NO ONE on this forum would give a second thought about dismissing as crap. The modular system was not an afterthought, but a central design, the shoulder strap is one of the best I have seen/used, and the overall sleek design to capacity ratio is insane. Most bags turn into an awkward oblong blob, this one stays rigid and square.
10 Capacity- If you can’t close the zipper, you own too much stuff and need to rethink your gym day.

SORRY for the lengthy review, but this bag had A LOT to go through (pun again!) and I am a stickler for detail. When I do reviews of gloves or mitts they will naturally be shorter because the features are more direct. GIVE ME A HONEST GRADE FOR MY FIRST REVIEW!

My camera is acting up, PICS ARE ON THE WAY!

-TheMMAChef

Now that my friend is what I call a damn good review!!!! Cannot wait to see the pics!!

how much did it cost? im sorry if I missed it, but is there any other ways to carry the bag without rolling it?

I like the lengthy review, the more detail the easier it is to make a decision if you are teetering on the fence.

how much did it cost? im sorry if I missed it, but is there any other ways to carry the bag without rolling it?

It is 39.99 on badboys site. BE CAREFUL because some places are still charging 80-100!

I think the bag is worth its inital cost of 80. And is a steal at 39.

There are three ways to carry it. The wheels and telescoping handle, the shoulder strap, and the dual handles that velcro together with the leather like handle.

Hope this helps!

Pics are coming this afternoon.

Mein gott that's a big bag! :eek:
Great right up! I might have to upgrade from my Safeway bags! :D

I gotta say it really is. I DID NOT facor price paid because I didn't want to sake the review. If I got death adders for 20 I'd still review them in their 100 price tag league.

The bag is big but portable, and fits a metric crap ton of stuff and manages to organize it. I am PRAYING mine was the rule and not exception to craftsmanship.

I gotta say it really is. I DID NOT facor price paid because I didn't want to sake the review. If I got death adders for 20 I'd still review them in their 100 price tag league.

The bag is big but portable, and fits a metric crap ton of stuff and manages to organize it. I am PRAYING mine was the rule and not exception to craftsmanship.

This is what I carry around but its getting worn:

http://www.mmawarehouse.com/bad_boy_large_duffel_bag/bad-1074.html

About time to move up to this wheeled bag. Thanks again for this review. Very helpful:)

Ohhh I remember that! Yeah i think the champ is the redesign of that bag. Or its a revgear one. I am debating on sparring gloves rigt now and its kilking me.

Guys my comp is freezing when I upload. Seems I have a registry error....Anyone know a simpler way to get pics on here? Like could I link to a pic site?

I'd buy it except.....its made by badboy so I just cant bring myself to spend 40 bucks on bad boy stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back