Backpacking Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam (backpacking brahs gtfih!)

Essentials:
A good fixed blade knife
A good folding knife
A flashlight or head lamp
A way to purify water
Food
Para cord
Some sort of shelter: tent, hammock, tarp
A way to make fire
Compact sleeping bag
Rain gear
Wet wipes
TP
Med kit

So you went to a foreign country and did drugs with a bunch of other foreigners. You sound like a typical traveling shitbag. I only say that as somebody who in 7 years of living abroad has learned to hate people like you.

Actually I did it by myself. Took some shrooms, walked around, then went to bed. What's wrong with that? I spent half my life abroad and I don't know what that has to do with anything.

Look into wwoofing if you really want to save money. Basically, you do maybe 3-5 hours of farm work a day for free room and board. I've done it in the a few different states in the US and Mexico (usually for about 1-2 weeks at a time), and had some pretty good experiences.

http://wwoof.net

Beyond that, the more you stay outside of cities, the further you can stretch your money. If you are stuck in a city, a lot of hostels will let you barter work for room and board.

How are you planning on getting around? Hitchhiking, or paying for train tickets and shit like a fucking yuppie? If you have the balls for it, i strongly recommend the former. Cheaper, and a hell of a lot more interesting.
I fucked the hottest chick I met wwofing.

Lol I was leaving a good chunk of my money in the hostel room in Laos and it didn't have a safe. Nothing happened though but I probably won't do it again. I'm afraid of getting pickpocketed or just losing it and losing everything if I keep all of it on my person. Might have to get one of those retractable tethers for my wallet like a dork.

Do you think escaping from the police would be a good idea?

Any decent thief will just cut the wallet off you, you need a sacrifice to get them to leave you.

If the police are corrupt and you've been detained so they can shake you down, certainly. I've traveled in a fair few places where police are not that different from the criminals or the terrorists. Having options is important.

Lol yeah attempting to escape is prob the worst idea the majority of the time. Mega

Staying so that you can become ransom material, robbed through 'fines' or dead in a ditch is a worse result.

I didn't say to run in all situations, you have to evaluate the proceedings.

We were sailing off Libya when a fishing boat pulled along side and a guy came over in a launch, I wasn't party to the conversation in the cockpit because I was watching the others, but the skipper said during the friendly conversation the dude pulled out a large knife and put it on the table, whilst smiling and saying how poor they were.

The captain pulled out a revolver he kept under his seat and placed it on the table in front of him.

The 'fishermen' left.

It's a good example of a situation that could have gone real bad if the skip hadn't had a plan should he want to use it.

Three items I always have with me camping:

A good, sharp, sturdy knife with a decently long blade.
If possible, two, one shorter.

A coil of rope.

A towel. Always know where your towel is, it's the most massively useful thing in the Universe
Dry towels are one of the most useful things in the world. Wet towels are the most useless and annoying items in existence

Staying so that you can become ransom material, robbed through 'fines' or dead in a ditch is a worse result.

I didn't say to run in all situations, you have to evaluate the proceedings.

We were sailing off Libya when a fishing boat pulled along side and a guy came over in a launch, I wasn't party to the conversation in the cockpit because I was watching the others, but the skipper said during the friendly conversation the dude pulled out a large knife and put it on the table, whilst smiling and saying how poor they were.

were you working maritime security off libya?
Were you working in maritime security off libya?

Were you working in maritime security off Libya?

The captain pulled out a revolver he kept under his seat and placed it on the table in front of him.

The 'fishermen' left.

It's a good example of a situation that could have gone real bad if the skip hadn't had a plan should he want to use it.

my comment was more in response to the nature of trying to evade foreign police in shithole countries. Most of my time overseas my number one risk other than regular hostile forces was from the local police/military. Ive been detained/arrested in multiple countries in my line of work and I can categorically say if I had tried to escape I most certainly would not be here typing now

my comment was more in response to the nature of trying to evade foreign police in shithole countries. Most of my time overseas my number one risk other than regular hostile forces was from the local police/military. Ive been detained/arrested in multiple countries in my line of work and I can categorically say if I had tried to escape I most certainly would not be here typing now

I've been detained by police before too, in Morocco they thought I might be a terrorist. They were clearly not shaking me down so it was all good. I didn't mean to imply you should Jason Bourne your way out of any encounter with law enforcement. I was suggesting that not always do they have your best interests at heart in some shit holes. Awareness is obviously the primary asset.

Don't know a whole lot about that region of the globe but whenever I'm out on a trail bug's are usually the biggest obstacle to overcome. Definitely bring a bug net, some sort of repellant, and a remedy to treat the inevitable bug bite.

Since we're so used to sitting at a screen and being entertained you're bound to get bored, especially at night. Study some sort of art which utilizes natural material in your area. Weaving, carving, sculpting, or playing an instrument can occupy a lot of time. Writing stream of consciousness type journals might seem like a waste of time but looking back that shit is hilarious.

So in my recent trip to Laos, I had the opportunity to trip balls on shrooms and I had a vision of myself backpacking. [/USER]

If you decide to dip down from SEA and visit Darwin, PM me. It is Australia so expensive compared to SEA but we are a h-u-g-e backpacker city due to our classification and location and there is some awesome shit to see here. My place is massive so you can crash, as long as you don’t use up all our bandwidth making threads about girls you meet.

Dry towels are one of the most useful things in the world. Wet towels are the most useless and annoying items in existence
On that, bring extra socks. Wet feet are unacceptable. Blisters while camping takes a chunk of the fun away

So in my recent trip to Laos, I had the opportunity to trip balls on shrooms and I had a vision of myself backpacking. The idea of backpacking and wandering around foreign lands, facing inevitable hardships, and meeting people along the way always appealed to me. In my recent trip I mostly hung around backpackers and it was a great experience to meet all those cool people. Most of them were Europeans younger than me (early/mid 20s) and I have great admiration for them for being so adventurous. In my early 20s I was too much a pussy to do anything out of my comfort zone. Backpacking would've been a great learning experience for me but I had a lot holding me back.

While traveling with them I got a break from the routine of regular modern life and experienced more passion than I usually encounter. People were so open and friendly. Backpacking also seems to attract certain kind of people and I seem to get along with such people better. I've become disillusioned with meeting women where I live but I feel like if I ever fall in love again, it'll be while I'm traveling with a woman who is traveling as well.

It seems clearer than ever that I need this experience. I need to get away from first world life. So when my contract with my current job is over, I'm not going to renew and go backpacking. This is a thread for any tips and suggestions or to share experiences if you've have done it.

A few things I'm considering:
I'm leaning heavily towards South East Asia + India. Since I already live in Asia, the flights will be cheaper and closer, and with a Korean passport, it's easier for me get into most other Asian countries. I've also been to a few SEA countries so it'll be more familiar. Europe would be amazing but it's expensive, and Latin America is too far (flights are expensive). Africa would be quite the trip but it's also too far and perhaps way too unfamiliar. I want to go somewhere completely different from what I'm used to, which is why I added India to the list.

A very rough list of places is : India, Nepal, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Taiwan. I've skipped some countries in between like Bhutan and Bangladesh, but I'm wondering if they're worth going. I would love to visit Okinawa on the way back home but I might not have the money. I might put somewhere in China on the list because it sounds ridiculous to have a trip around Asia and never go to China.

Money. This is going to be the biggest factor in how long I travel and and which countries I can visit. I'll likely stick to the cheaper ones and likely skip Singapore or Hong Kong. I'd love to visit Japan again but it's also too expensive. I'll need to learn how to budget tightly.

Weather. This is my most pressing concern at the moment. The earliest I can start is in March, where I know the weather in many SEA countries become rainier and hotter and more humid and conducive to mosquitoes. I'd prefer to go in the winter (start now) but I have a job to go to.

Any tips or suggestions for budgeting? Safety? Absolute essentials you need?
Has anyone here done it? What did you learn from it?

@KrazyKanadian @TheWorm

Personally Pug I would look a lot at Nepal, the Kathmandu Valley is like a bite sized version of India but without as much need for travel and less hassle generally, lost a few old structure sin the quake but still there are plenty of them around with three major sub city squares and plenty of other smaller areas. Could easily spend a week looking around there which maybe helps meeting other travelers as well.

There are trekking options of course and getting off of the road network does mean you leave behind modern concrete housing for something more traditional. Honestly it doesn't need to be some ultra serious high altitude trek either, in the Annapurna area for example you can stay below 2000 meters and get very close to the mountains in a day or twos walk off the road network towards places like Gandruk or Dhampus.

ghorepani-annapurna.jpg

Does have the advantage though that your high enough up that mosquitoes aren't generally a problem and indeed the weather should still be pretty good in march/april, not too hot relative to the Indian planes.

Last edited:
You're becoming a hippie, ts, and as such you will naturally gravitate towards India - not much you can do about it, just go with the flow. You will float around Nepal for a bit, see a few temples, wonder if you are a buddhist. You will end up in Goa, meet a nice german girl. There will be beach raves, space muffins and white arms swaying under the moonlight. European girls will fight for you, via the modality of competitive writhing. You will go broke, yes, but the German girl will pay for a ticket for you...to Germany. One day you wake up in Munich, a coveted item yet somehow still wondering.
Have a nice trip.

https://www.welcomenepal.com/places-to-see/kathmandu.html

I've been detained by police before too, in Morocco they thought I might be a terrorist. They were clearly not shaking me down so it was all good. I didn't mean to imply you should Jason Bourne your way out of any encounter with law enforcement. I was suggesting that not always do they have your best interests at heart in some shit holes. Awareness is obviously the primary asset.
I think, and I hope, that none of the countries I go to will be that corrupt. My encounters with cops in Laos and Vietnam part tells me they don't really give a shit. I accidentally walked into a military installation in Laos once and the guards let me through lol.

Don't know a whole lot about that region of the globe but whenever I'm out on a trail bug's are usually the biggest obstacle to overcome. Definitely bring a bug net, some sort of repellant, and a remedy to treat the inevitable bug bite.

Since we're so used to sitting at a screen and being entertained you're bound to get bored, especially at night. Study some sort of art which utilizes natural material in your area. Weaving, carving, sculpting, or playing an instrument can occupy a lot of time. Writing stream of consciousness type journals might seem like a waste of time but looking back that shit is hilarious.

Yeah good point on bugs. I got chewed up by mosquitos in Laos. I'm considering taking my ukulele with me on my travels if I can. Impress the european girls at my hostel.

If you decide to dip down from SEA and visit Darwin, PM me. It is Australia so expensive compared to SEA but we are a h-u-g-e backpacker city due to our classification and location and there is some awesome shit to see here. My place is massive so you can crash, as long as you don’t use up all our bandwidth making threads about girls you meet.

I would love to visit Australia if I could. If I do, I'll for sure hit you up. You don't sound poor lol. I won't post about chicks but I'll start shit threads nonetheless.

Personally Pug I would look a lot at Nepal, the Kathmandu Valley is like a bite sized version of India but without as much need for travel and less hassle generally, lost a few old structure sin the quake but still there are plenty of them around with three major sub city squares and plenty of other smaller areas. Could easily spend a week looking around there which maybe helps meeting other travelers as well.

There are trekking options of course and getting off of the road network does mean you leave behind modern concrete housing for something more traditional. Honestly it doesn't need to be some ultra serious high altitude trek either, in the Annapurna area for example you can stay below 2000 meters and get very close to the mountains in a day or twos walk off the road network towards places like Gandruk or Dhampus.

ghorepani-annapurna.jpg

Does have the advantage though that your high enough up that mosquitoes aren't generally a problem and indeed the weather should still be pretty good in march/april, not too hot relative to the Indian planes.
I looked up Kathmandu Valley and that's definitely on the list. It looks and sounds amazing.

You're becoming a hippie, ts, and as such you will naturally gravitate towards India - not much you can do about it, just go with the flow. You will float around Nepal for a bit, see a few temples, wonder if you are a buddhist. You will end up in Goa, meet a nice german girl. There will be beach raves, space muffins and white arms swaying under the moonlight. European girls will fight for you, via the modality of competitive writhing. You will go broke, yes, but the German girl will pay for a ticket for you...to Germany. One day you wake up in Munich, a coveted item yet somehow still wondering.
Have a nice trip.

https://www.welcomenepal.com/places-to-see/kathmandu.html

<mma4>

Back