Back to basics

bowlie

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
After watching myself spar Ive realized how bad I am. My biggest flaw is using my kick like a jab, just throwing out to try and control the match, not as a damaging strike. I didnt realize how stupid this was till someone pointed out you wouldn't do that with a hook.

Ive decided to re-build my fighting style from the ground up so I was wondering, how do you get into punching range without eating kicks, and can you do body kicks from punching range (We dont leg kick). What is the correct way to block a side or front kick?

Take karate.... *** {edit}

karatestylist

*** Karate has a word that covers what you need, "kihon."

Last edited:
Take karate.... *** {edit}

karatestylist

*** Karate has a word that covers what you need, "kihon."

Well played sir.

To TS, these are things that come with time, practice, and experience. Keep working hard, continue to talk with sparring partners and coaches.

Well played sir.

To TS, these are things that come with time, practice, and experience. Keep working hard, continue to talk with sparring partners and coaches.

Frankly we dont get much coaching help from the taekwondo coach. He doesnt spar since he messed up his leg at a comp in abu-dhabi. It is a bit of a mcdojo, so thats why I have changed gyms and started boxing again as my main standup. I still really enjoy TKD though so im just doing it 1 day a week to see my friends there. There are only about half of the class that spars so he teaches the rest patterns and stuff while we fight.

What I really need is just a basic gameplan in my head. Because I never know what to do during sparring I just experiment, and what I was doing wasnt very effective. Basically, what are the very simple tactics for fighing that you build your style around?

while the offense is often lacking in the beginning turn your focus towards defense.

Evading with head movement, parrying with gloves, block/catching kicks..

Wait for your opponent to make the first mistake and capitalize with a punch/kick.

Frankly we dont get much coaching help from the taekwondo coach. He doesnt spar since he messed up his leg at a comp in abu-dhabi. It is a bit of a mcdojo, so thats why I have changed gyms and started boxing again as my main standup. I still really enjoy TKD though so im just doing it 1 day a week to see my friends there. There are only about half of the class that spars so he teaches the rest patterns and stuff while we fight.

What I really need is just a basic gameplan in my head. Because I never know what to do during sparring I just experiment, and what I was doing wasnt very effective. Basically, what are the very simple tactics for fighing that you build your style around?

If you're going to have a gameplan when you spar, I'd recommend just thinking about what you need to work on, and picking 1 or 2 things to keep in mind for the sparring session. For example: I'm gonna use my jab to control the distance this sparring session, I'm gonna use punches to set up hard leg kicks instead of just flicking it out there. Sparring is the time to experiment, but you don't want to try so many different things that nothing develops. Everything takes repetition, so if you go into sparring making a conscious effort to work on something (whether it works right away or not) that part of your game will improve.

To kick the body while in punching range throw a hook, either lead or rear. At the same time step to the outside on the same side you threw the hook and pull the opposite leg back. You'll be in perfect position to throw a kick to the body.

To kick the body while in punching range throw a hook, either lead or rear. At the same time step to the outside on the same side you threw the hook and pull the opposite leg back. You'll be in perfect position to throw a kick to the body.

^^^ Simple & Sweet....

KarateStylist

The worst thing you can do is try to rush things. Work your way into punching range rather than leaping in. if you can touch with your teep your in kicking range so be prepared to check. as soon as you can touch with the jab that's your world.
Don't push a bad position, your gameplan depends on the strengths and weaknesses of your opponent.

Back