Back to Basics - The Jab In MMA

I have a seperate boxing and Muay Thai coach. While sparring in boxing only, the jab is important for keep the opponent away, breaking up their combo (C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER) and for setting up your own.

However, it's harder in MMA for punching in general. I use my kicks for that purpose of distraction and setup, slipping in, shooting, or otherwise.

I read a lot of theory as to WHY the jab is underutilized and under-rated, but without someone REALLY demonstrating why it's so good, I just see it as nullified when someone hits to the lower body (shooting, kicks, etc).

Penn/ Sherk
Florian/ Gomi
Bisping/ Leben
Okami/ Lynn Harris
GSP/ Hughes II
Kampmann/ P. Thiago
Rogerio/ Cane
Rogers/ Fedor
GSP/ BJ I (BJ used the jab well) & II (GSP used the jab well)

PS- How the hell do you use your kicks to set up a takedown? Do you shoot from one leg or something?? IMO, the jab is one of the best ways to set up a clinch/ takedown situation.

Exactly, a good jab should be the easiest strike to throw and defend a TD behind. Get's there and back faster than any other punch and is the least compromising on your base.

Well put, JDS, Nog's, BJ, Silva, Spencer Fisher, etc..... are all guys who jab consistently and not one of them are guys you would say are "easy" to take down.

Spencer Fisher is super easy to take down

But back on topic, with the small gloves a jab can really fuck someone's face up bad. A couple stiff quick jabs will bust a noise open and cut a guy's brow quickly. The jab is the fastest and least exposing punch to throw. How can it leave you open for takedowns more then any other move?

However, it's harder in MMA for punching in general. I use my kicks for that purpose of distraction and setup, slipping in, shooting, or otherwise.

I read a lot of theory as to WHY the jab is underutilized and under-rated, but without someone REALLY demonstrating why it's so good, I just see it as nullified when someone hits to the lower body (shooting, kicks, etc).

Because a lot of guys are getting good at catching kicks nowadays. It's even the same in Muay Thai/K-1. Sometimes you'll see a guy catch every single kick of his opponent's and counter. If all you can do is kick, then you're fucked when a guy starts catching everything

Say you have two dominant wrestlers - the guy who kicks and gets the kick caught is going to end up on bottom for sure.

Too risky, so that's why the jab has become important in MMA.

The transistion from punching to grappling/clinching
is much more natural than the transistion from kicking to grappling/clinching.

Someone already said this, but BJ Penn/Sherk is a perfect example of the devastating effeciency of the jab, and that fight alone is inspiring me enough to try and learn all the different ways to jab and perfect them.

Of all the strikes I feel the jab is the hardest to get the takedown off, because you can throw a jab while moving. Most other strikes if you want to get power you need to sit down on the strike, which is what leaves someone open to the takedown.

Back