Back to Basics - The Jab In MMA

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by El Cholo, Aug 11, 2010.

1. El Cholo

El Cholo White Belt

Interesting read that I found over at FLD, thought I'd share...

2. KyleInAction

KyleInAction ***HOPKINS BELT***

I agree. Kenny Florian has a good jab, and I remember Bisping dismantling Leben with a simple jab and side-step.

I'd be interested to hear what some actual mixed martial artists have to say. Maybe there is a legitimate reason that the jab is under-utilized (far be it from me to speculate on what that reason is, though).

3. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

i can give you a little explanation.... MOST mma fighters are garbage when it comes to boxing.

4. Human Bass

Human Bass Black Belt

I'm sure everybody thinks "If only Jon Jones could master the jab..." :D

5. Giant Midget

Giant Midget Blue Belt

I'm thinking "If only people would stop riding Jon Jones' nuts".

6. rms13

rms13 Purple Belt

I think fighters see the jab as a waste of energy when someone can shoot in and take out your legs while you're throwing it. A lot of MMA fighters' stand up is based in Muay Thai and I don't see too many teep kicks being thrown which is the kick equivalent of the jab.

7. Human Bass

Human Bass Black Belt

Well, saying that he needs to master the jab is compliment to his potential, at the same time recognizing his current limitations.

8. o'dubhlaoich

o'dubhlaoich Red Belt

The jab is underutilized because there arent enough good boxers in mma. Most mma fighters are punchers. They learn just enought striking to get it to the ground.

9. Mooney

Mooney Blue Belt

The jab is not as important in MMA as it is in boxing. Sure it's a very effective and useful tool, but MMA athletes are not going to go to the same levels as boxers do to perfect the jab... they have too many other things to be focusing on. Even look at top level kickboxers, most of their jabs are nothing compared to the perfection that some boxers show.

10. ASEGSEA

ASEGSEA Guest

I have a seperate boxing and Muay Thai coach. While sparring in boxing only, the jab is important for keep the opponent away, breaking up their combo (C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER) and for setting up your own.

However, it's harder in MMA for punching in general. I use my kicks for that purpose of distraction and setup, slipping in, shooting, or otherwise.

I read a lot of theory as to WHY the jab is underutilized and under-rated, but without someone REALLY demonstrating why it's so good, I just see it as nullified when someone hits to the lower body (shooting, kicks, etc).

11. vjvj

vjvj Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious

The idea that fighters fear being taken down off a jab is laughable. This doesn't stop them from throwing slow, shitty haymakers, so why would a jab be so dangerous? Anyone who says this is just making excuses IMHO.

Plus, teeps are used much differently than the jab is. Yes, a teep is a kind of "foot jab", but it has far less utility than a boxing jab does.

This is what I think the answer is. MMA fighters need to train many different disciplines and there are only so many hours in the day. That said, I do think a better balance can be achieved and we are seeing that in more and more fights now. At some point in the future, MMA fighters won't be able to rely on ace wrestling/BJJ + haymakers anymore because everyone will be taking striking seriously.

12. Mr. NAILZ

Mr. NAILZ Purple Belt

Why would you say that?.Its not like you would be biased towards boxing...:icon_lol:

13. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

just alittle haha. but is it not true?

14. Kozbot

Kozbot Purple Belt

MMA cop out 101: BUT THEY CAN TAKE YOU DOWN

from now on, you cannot punch, kick, clinch, knee, elbow, or stand in the cage because you may or may not be taken down

15. Jeff_Joslin

Jeff_Joslin Yellow Belt Professional Fighter

The jab is my favourite punch and I've used it a lot in my fights. I think any striking opens you up for take downs since you have to transfer your weight forward when doing so. If your jab sucks then it opens you up even more because the other person can see it coming and has no fear of it.

After that it depends on their takedown skill vs. your take down defense with the person doing the takedown starting with an advantage because they caught you in the middle of your striking attack. That's why in mma you sometimes see less skilled wrestlers taking down the better ones.

In MMA less skilled strikers (who wrestle well) occasionally can out strike better stand up fighters if they can keep their opponents mind on the shot/clinch instead of the punch.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  16. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

I will utilize the jab if I notice a rhythm of a fighter when he throws combos that are effective but sometimes I won't use the jab for more than keeping someone at distance if they work well in the clinch.

17. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

exactly... a jab has the least movement and when you get good at it, it takes the least amount of effort.

dont see how it makes you more open for a takedown just like any other punch or kick. in fact i feel it leaves you less open

18. Soul Rebel 2

Soul Rebel 2 Black Belt

Its pretty much a fact; the jab is THE most important technique in combat sports. What prevents MMA fighters from using it effectively has a lot to do with the fact that they're too focused on damage rather than using the jab creatively to set up other shots. Look at how successful JDS is at mixing up the jab to the head, chest and stomach to open up his other punches.

As for being taken down, by mixing up your attack (to the body and head) you yourself change levels thus making it harder for your opponents to shoot in on you.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  19. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

Exactly, a good jab should be the easiest strike to throw and defend a TD behind. Get's there and back faster than any other punch and is the least compromising on your base.

Well put, JDS, Nog's, BJ, Silva, Spencer Fisher, etc..... are all guys who jab consistently and not one of them are guys you would say are "easy" to take down.

20. El Cholo

El Cholo White Belt

Yeah it was pretty evident against Nelson that the shots JDS was actually hurting him with, were those he set up with his jab. When he abandoned it and just tried to tee off a few times Roy managed to cover up.